Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2017 9:29:09 PM EDT
Okay, I am gearing up to write a new zombie book and I need some new reading material. I have actually already started writing the new book (Chris if you are reading this, your character is the main character). I have been away from all things zombie for a while now and I want to dip back into it. My first book (don't hold it against me. I know it wasn't great and the editing wasn't great. It was after all my first book. So, cut me some slack . . . or I will kill you off in my book. You will die a horrible death) The Day After the Fourth will be getting a second and final book in that storyline soon. Not sure when but the idea is brewing in my head. Okay on to the point of this thread.

What zombie books should I be reading? Old and new titles post them up. If I have read them I will mark them off my list. Maybe someone else can add new books to theirs.

I am currently reading The Remaining series by D. J. Molles. I love this series. The next series I have waiting to read is Extinction Horizon by Nicholas Sansbury Smith. This one caught my eye just by the cover artwork and I have no idea what is in store for me with the series.

So, what' is everyone reading?

What are some new books and new authors?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
return man
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Arisen.  Michael Stephen Fuchs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By armednhappy:
View Quote
I need to look that one up. It sound familiar. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I really enjoyed -

The Purge of Babylon series by Sam Sisavath.

In my opinion it is much better than the Arisen series.

Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:08:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mobhs] [#5]
The Ragnarok Rising Saga
D.A. Roberts
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:19:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The two you mentioned OP are the ones I would suggest.
Looking for more...........
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks I am writing these down.

The Remaining series is a fantastic series. Great story line and a good bit of action.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 2:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7] [#8]
https://www.amazon.com/First-Days-World-Dies-Book-ebook/dp/B004OA62U4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514399009&sr=8-1&keywords=as+the+world+dies

You can search for books 2 and 3 on Amazon.   First read them when the author posted them on a forum and then she received a book deal.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Try Joshua Guess series The Fall. Great read unique storyline with great writing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you. I am writing these down too.

Tell me. I have about two or three chapters of story line. I'm building the story to go the distance. Not just one book but a few. The first couple of chapters build for an ending I see in my head that will be heart breaking for the main character. Do you guys like a little story and then it kicks off with the action? Or a fair amount of story with action starting after a couple of chapters?

I want to create a book that has legs. That can go 5-10 books if not more. Characters may change over time. I also need to settle on the title. I have a few in mind.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Following with interest...
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I liked the "Day by Day Armageddon" series.  I read the first three books and just realized there are one or two more that I need to read.

"Rot & Ruin" gets decent reviews and is on my list to read.

"Black Tide Rising" series by John Ringo is talked about a lot as well and is my list to read next.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
I liked the "Day by Day Armageddon" series.  I read the first three books and just realized there are one or two more that I need to read.

"Rot & Ruin" gets decent reviews and is on my list to read.

"Black Tide Rising" series by John Ringo is talked about a lot as well and is my list to read next.
View Quote
QFT. These are all excellent series.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#14]
There's a bunch:

Arisen Series.

DBD Armegedon series.

Apocalyspe Z series

The Zombie Shooting Guide

I'll look through my kindle, there's a few I'm missing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone. Keep them coming. J. L. Bourne and I've talked in the past. Someone didn't like how I made my zombies and he came to my defense and said keep writing. It was cool.

I have been working on my new book and I forgot. How much I like writing action. I am taking what I learned with writing horror and applying it to this book. I'm 33K into it and when the action kicked off it kicked off. I'm building a world and s book with legs with this one.

Keep the book list coming.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Zombie Road trilogy. David Simpson
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#17]
The Monster (Island, Nation, Planet) series by David Wellington

The Autumn series by David Moody (do not be fooled by the crappy movie and slow start, these are good books.)

Adrian's Undead Diary by Chris Philbrook (this was a blog form, but might be books now)
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Also, "Plague if Days" is like a cross between zombie, The Stand, and an autistic kid comes of age.

Very fresh and different.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
The Monster (Island, Nation, Planet) series by David Wellington

The Autumn series by David Moody (do not be fooled by the crappy movie and slow start, these are good books.)

Adrian's Undead Diary by Chris Philbrook (this was a blog form, but might be books now)
View Quote
Amazon site, book 1 of 8.

I particularly liked this one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:
Thanks everyone. Keep them coming. J. L. Bourne and I've talked in the past. Someone didn't like how I made my zombies and he came to my defense and said keep writing. It was cool.

I have been working on my new book and I forgot. How much I like writing action. I am taking what I learned with writing horror and applying it to this book. I'm 33K into it and when the action kicked off it kicked off. I'm building a world and s book with legs with this one.

Keep the book list coming.
View Quote
DBDA rocks, and J.L. Bourne is a member here. Before he was published, he had a good portion of the first book posted here. Super cool guy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:
. The next series I have waiting to read is Extinction Horizon by Nicholas Sansbury Smith. This one caught my eye just by the cover artwork and I have no idea what is in store for me with the series.

So, what' is everyone reading?

What are some new books and new authors?
View Quote
I'm into book 2 of that series. So far so good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Easy reading for me due to knowing all the areas mentioned in the book....Central TX.

Bobby Adair Slow Burn series.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bprifle:
return man
View Quote
Interesting
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 7:17:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HoyaSaxa] [#25]
Originally Posted By armednhappy:
View Quote
Great series. Writer is funny and interesting.

The Remaining is also top shelf IMO. DJ Molles
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#26]
The "Winchester: Undead" series from Dave Lund is very good.

He's very obviously a gun guy.

Book one is Winchester: Over
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I have read a few dozen. The only ones over time that have stuck out are:

The Remaining

Joe Ledger Series (only first book is zombie, but it's so good the rest of the series was amazing, weird science fiction shit).

Morningstar Saga (amazing books, author died suddenly in the middle of them so it was finished by a ghost writer.

Day by Day Armageddon series (written by a fellow member )

Rot and Ruin Series (set in the same universe as Joe Ledger Series, and runs a couple decades after the first Joe Ledger book. Teenagers are the main characters, kind of like stand by me with zombies).

Those books, especially the ones written by Mayberry are phenomenal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I enjoyed the hell out of the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot series (6 books, I believe)

Escaping the Dead, Free on Amazon Prime

From the link:

Alone in a foreign land

The radio goes quiet while on convoy in Afghanistan, a lost patrol alone in the desert. With his unit and his home base destroyed, Staff Sergeant Brad Thompson suddenly finds himself isolated and in command of a small group of men trying to survive in the Afghan wasteland.

Every turn leads to danger

The local population has been afflicted with an illness that turns them into rabid animals. They pursue him and his men at every corner and stop. Struggling to hold his team together and unite survivors, he must fight and evade his way to safety.

A fast paced zombie war story like no other.

W. J. Lundy is a current member of the U.S. Military with service in Afghanistan
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Alright I’ve got a couple for you that I enjoyed

Zombie Fallout series (11 books) - Mark Tufo

I was initially hesitant on this because it looked cheesy but I am currently on book 2 and I love it.
There are audiobook versions as well (helpful if you travel/workout a bunch like me)

Apocalypse Z series (3 books) - Manel Loureiro

Very enjoyable and the characters are fun too. Audiobook capable
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RR_Broccoli] [#30]
Nevermind, already posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 1:38:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BlueHaya:
Easy reading for me due to knowing all the areas mentioned in the book....Central TX.

Bobby Adair Slow Burn series.
View Quote
I enjoy these a lot more than I should. I buy the audio narration, and listen to them while on long trips.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FDrifting:
I have read a few dozen. The only ones over time that have stuck out are:

The Remaining

Joe Ledger Series (only first book is zombie, but it's so good the rest of the series was amazing, weird science fiction shit).

Morningstar Saga (amazing books, author died suddenly in the middle of them so it was finished by a ghost writer.

Rot and Ruin Series (set in the same universe as Joe Ledger Series, and runs a couple decades after the first Joe Ledger book. Teenagers are the main characters, kind of like stand by me with zombies).

View Quote
Took recommendation on the Remaining an ordered most of them to read on vacation.
Wife rolled her eyes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm reading the Wayward Pines series (Pines, Wayward, The Last Town).  It's not zombies, but the situations are very similar.  Free on Kindle Unlimited.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:21:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXJarhead] [#34]
Day by day armageddon 1 was probably one of my most all time favorite reads.  I liked the others but that one was special and I felt like I was there with him throughout.  I have read them and listened on audible multiple times.

I followed Adrians undead diary in blog form and then got the audible books and have listened to them more than once.  Great series.

Black tide rising series by John ringo was really good IMO. Good flow and good characters throughout.  The narrator did a very good job and I'm a big fan of military characters. This one is mostly navy and marine corps but ventures out to a few other countries armed forces here and there.

Zombie fallout series by Mark Tufo was great and he had a great sense of humor and you could tell he was a jarhead, so that was cool to me on a personal note.

I'm listening to book 4 of the mountain man series by Keith c. Blackmore.  Pretty good series.  There were a few other books I started before this series book 1, but they were a different kind of zombie book, and not what I was looking for so I looked until I found this series and they have been pretty good. Main character is just an average joe who is good at scavenging and staying alive.

I need to decide where to go after this book ends so ill sub and see what is recommended.  Good luck with yours!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Everything JL Bourne and WJ Lundy are great reads.  I'm also a fan of the Phalanx Press collab "Five Roads to Texas" series.  I'm on book 3 right now, and am thoroughly enjoying them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FDrifting:

View Quote
+ 1 to everything posted ^^

Maberry is a very good author and keeps the intensity high. Dead Of Night is straight up zombie gold

And you can't go wrong with Bourne

I enjoyed the first few books in the Extinction series by Nicholas Sansbury Smith. Started out as a zombie/ebola thing, but it takes some strange sci fi twists in later books
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#37]
The "Surviving the Dead" series by James Cook is terrific, and much more than just Zombies. I'm not a real fan of the Zombie genre, but this 9 book series was awesome IMHO.

First Book in the Series
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#38]
There are a couple really good stories in the fiction section on Zombie Squad forum.  Better hurry, the forum is shutting down 7/1.

The Dead At Destitute Mountain is excellent.

Doing time is good.

Anything written by Ponyboy 314 is worth reading.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Dead City by Joe McKinney
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#40]
My favorites are World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I like Thomas A Watson’s books.

They can be a little out there, like Forsaken World, about two early teen boys and how they survive.

Blue Plague is also by him.  Over the top characters and wild battles, but a fun read and a long series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top