Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2023 10:03:47 PM EDT
I am looking to get a new TV. Right now I have a 55" TCL brand that is @ 4 years old that I use with an antenna and Roku. I hate the menu on my current TV as it is not intuitive or friendly.

Im looking at a 65" size from Costco. So LED, OLED and what brand? I would like to be under $800. A couple of online reviews from PC mag and others say Hisense, but they might be paid to review and promote them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My next one will be a 65" tcl. I have a 55" one today. What's wrong with the menues?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Voland:
My next one will be a 65" tcl. I have a 55" one today. What's wrong with the menues?
View Quote

With my current TCL I need to scroll through all the channels or favorites to get to the one I want. I am not able to go directly to a channel that I want. I will try to take a pic to post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Voland:
View Quote

We too have two 55"s. Bought back when they were $1800..

But I am thinking more along the lines of an 85" or so.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I got the LG for my room and the Samsung for the wife/kids. Can’t say I see any difference in quality. Both internal speakers suck, so I had to get soundbars for the first time. Sony seems more expensive for no better quality.

TCL and Hisense are Chinese owned. While it’s hard to avoid stuff being made in China, it’s not as hard to avoid Chinese owned. Plus if you’re the paranoid type, China is known to have back doors on their electronics, so smart TVs could easily transmit back. What the Chinese would care about what you do on your smart TV?  My life isn’t interesting enough for anyone to want to spy on me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get a Sony X80 / X85 in your price range, but if you can swing it, the Sony Bravia XR in the X90 class has a full array LED.
The Sony Bravia XR OLED tvs have an incredible image, but they start at over x2 what you want to spend and go up to almost $4k.

As some folks have already said, you get a lot of “bang for your buck” with the Chinese brands (TCL / Hisense / etc.), but the quality can be hit or miss, and you have to worry about imbedded firmware that might be spying on you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I havent even really looked at new ones or checked out the specs and start comparing. My current TCl had a coax input where I connect my roof antenna to it. Do the newer TVs have this for their tuner?
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By IT_Cowboy:
I am looking to get a new TV. Right now I have a 55" TCL brand that is @ 4 years old that I use with an antenna and Roku. I hate the menu on my current TV as it is not intuitive or friendly.

Im looking at a 65" size from Costco. So LED, OLED and what brand? I would like to be under $800. A couple of online reviews from PC mag and others say Hisense, but they might be paid to review and promote them.
View Quote

Costco offers 2 models of Hisense, A65 and U75K (u7k everywhere else). I own both (a65 in 55in, and u7k in 75"). Not much to say about the A65, it works. The u75k though, it's ridiculously bright, like eye straining bright out of box, and black levels look almost OLED at times. The U75K is online only though, I couldn't find it in store. This is probably the bang for buck king currently, 144hz refresh rate, and mini-LED tech.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top