Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2024 1:04:20 PM EDT
What do you guys recommend for a fireproof chemical storage cabinet.  I'm thinking of the fireproof ones like the big yellow one we had at school.

I have solvents, thinners, stains, oils, some paint.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Riter:
What do you guys recommend for a fireproof chemical storage cabinet.  I'm thinking of the fireproof ones like the big yellow one we had at school.

I have solvents, thinners, stains, oils, some paint.
View Quote

The flammable chemical storage cabinets are great for storage since they offer the best protection if used properly. Unfortunately they are expensive with a 50 gal size usually costing over $1k. If you can find one on the used market you could save a lot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:04:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#2]
The cheap way to go would be to build a closet with drywall inside and outside, and seal the door.  

Or find some metal siding to use.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
At one time I wanted to build a completely separate structure, like a freestanding small closet or large dog house, to store gas and diesel fuel cans in. Get it completely out of the garage and shop. R panels, hardy plank siding, put a plastic catch basin in the bottom or just fill something with kitty litter. I was thinking pallet size, so I could pick it up with a tractor or fork lift and move it, so a short, squatty sized dog house that opened from the top would make more sense.

So if it did catch fire, it was enclosed but out away from everything. A fuel dump.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If you build something, the main thing is to make it air tight.  Metal ones have a bung hole in the side to shoot an extinguisher through.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Freiheit338:
Prepare for sticker shock
https://www.zoro.com/safety-cabinets/c/5606/
View Quote

If you want to make and sell things to get rich, make sure that your customer base is other businesses.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ske714:
The cheap way to go would be to build a closet with drywall inside and outside, and seal the door.  

Or find some metal siding to use.
View Quote

This in a pinch, 3/4" drywall/sheetrock minimum on all sides, 1 hour rated door, gasketed door (think gun safe heat expanding door tape) abd you should be good.

When looking at the cost of above, probably cheaper to look at GSA auctions.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#8]
Thanks everyone.

It's something that wasn't addressed at school.  I'm thinking this one; especially if my nephew visits me b/c he can pick it up and save me shipping costs.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/55007587
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Those things sell for about a tenth of new prices at auctions. Check Bidspotter.com for auctions in your area if interested.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!  That was a good tip.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]
if you want  metal , look for a cheap gun cabinet
or school lockers . the ones you asked about i bought
2 a few yrs ago at a auction 125 each .

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's going to catch fire on a shelf it's going to catch fire in a big expensive cabinet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top