BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Johhnyrotten:
I’ve heard nothing but good things about Hornady One Shot so I’m giving it a try on my semi auto pistols.
View Quote

I use it in aerosol for cleaning, CLP mixed with regular oil in a needle oiler for oil stuff. I use a lithium grease on my handgun rails. I use cherrybalmz on my semi auto rifles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Hoppe's #9 for harder cleaning

Slip2000 EWL for light cleaning and lubrication
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
G96 for a general oil

Tetra Grease when appropriate.

Ballistol for manual action wood stocked firearms.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawmonkey] [#4]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
For the semi-autos rifles I've been using that Lucas Oil and it seems to be pretty good. During the real hot weather I use the Slip ewl 30 and the extreme Sub-Zero cold weather I use LAW military lubricant.

What are you guys using for Lubes for your Glocks?

View Quote

Break cleaner, Hoppes, CLP
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Lucas, and CLP
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much whatever I have on hand. For the near future it's going to be Shooters Choice products.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
Ed's red and/or brake cleaner for cleaning.  Motor oil for lube.
View Quote

And some red bearing grease.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, over the decades, I have tried just about everything except Frog Lube. Originally, it was LSA, then Breakfree CLP. After that grease, then TW25b, then Slip 2000 EWL.

Today, I am currently using a concoction of 5w-30 synthetic motor oil mixed with Mobil One Synthetic wheel bearing grease (the reddish/pink stuff).

I make it with a consistency somewhere between honey and pancake syrup. Runs well in my AR and pistol. It's cheap and handles heavy use (carbine and pistol classes) with no problems.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]
CLP, CLP and CLP…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:06:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexanInOhio4] [#10]
I use mineral spirits, and isopropyl alcohol for cleaning really dirty items that can be submerged (like bolt carriers).

BreakFree CLP for general cleaning a light lubrication/corrosion protection.

Hoppes #9 for bore cleaning (and CLP after).

Militec-1 grease for sliding surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:02:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#11]
I’ve settled on Slip EWL and the heavier stuff, and their grease.

The Wilson stuff is nice, made by Lucas.

I tried some Go Juice, didn’t really like it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#12]
For Glocks and similar, I scrub the barrel with whatever penetrating oil and brushes, patch dry.  I clean and lube with some kind of CLP.  I like a needle applicator to lube.

Rifle bores get 48hr Hoppes 9 soak with wet patches whenever I walk by.  I dry fully after 2 days, alcohol swab, then CLP wet as rust prevent.  That’s for non chrome bores.

For chrome, I just brush and patch with rem oil or similar.  BCG gets cleaned with the same.

I like to lube ARs with slip 2000.  Seems to last longer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Leftover Supertech 5w-30 synthetic from car oil changes.  All I've used for years.

Have experimented with mixing in powdered teflon and red clay (for a thickener).  Enough on hand to last the next 50 years...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#14]
One of my favorite cleaners is hot water and Dawn dishwashing detergent.  Especially good if cleaning after firing corrosive ammunition.  You do need to re-lube after use, however.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Recently tried Professor Pew CLP.

Screwy name, but does a good job of cutting carbon.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mac_Fan:
Slip 2000 EWL.
View Quote

this right here
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Ballistol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Break free CLP, liquid not aerosol, for cleaning and lube in rifles, Mobil One for lube on handguns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I use Mobile 1 with a little STP or Lucas Oil Treatment added to increase the viscosity.  Works fine and is cheap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Hoppes 9 for cleaning
Usually break free CLP for lube
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
WS is awesome and they just started production back up.  I use that mostly and Brian Enos' Slide Glide.
View Quote

Is the formula the same? Went from a US based company to Taiwan or something.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By craig24680:
Synthetic motor oil, 0w20 I believe
View Quote

This, with Tractor Supply white lithium grease where grease is wanted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Lubing a firearm is one of the lest demanding, lest destructive uses for a lube. Pretty much anything designed as industrial lubricant will work.

A gun will run just fine on mayonnaise, but it's shit for rust prevention.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Brake parts cleaner and 30W ND motor oil
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I've always used regular CLP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Best tip I ever read online. If you have a new AR10, soak the bolt overnight in Mobile 1 synthetic oil, shake off the excess and install wet. Gun ran so smooth, I repeated the treatment on several AR’s.

Lucas oil is great because it makes less of a mess.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mayday:
I dont use crap made up by a 5 person company; i go with professionals that need to lube high pressure, high temp machinery that may cost the lives of people if not lubed:

Makes metal to metal run like a fine typewritter.  Incredible corrosion protection, perfect for high pressure, high temp environments.

https://assets.unilogcorp.com/187/ITEM/IMG/2384798.jpg
View Quote

And great at collecting debris in your action unless you only shoot from a bench.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AR-10:
I've always used regular CLP.
View Quote
people keep saying this but it doesn't mean anything. CLP is a type of lube and a mil-spec, not a specific product. Many companies make a CLP type lube. A few (Radcolube, G96, Breakfree) make CLPs that meet the current CLP mil-spec MIL-PRF-63460F

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Clp for most firearms if firing non corrosive ammo

Ballistol with water and then straight Ballistol for guns I fired corrosive ammo in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:12:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kychas] [#31]
Bicycle chain lube
Doesn’t sling off onto your glasses
Stays and works a long time
https://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants/dry-lube
Use the spray.
It goes on thin and wet, very thin in a minute it dries
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Mobil 1 5w-30 for lube. Good old Hoppes No 9 for cleaning. Hasn't let me down yet. Used to use Lucas gun oil for a while, but I'm pretty sure that's just their transmission oil. I ended up switching to 5w-30. Way cheaper, works great.

I also have a bottle of the ALG go juice, that stuff seems to work good too, lasts longer than motor oil as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Lucas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I know we all have our favorite lubes.  

My favorite is EWL.  I EWL all things that need lubing. Stays on and does not gum up in cold weather. Also,

apply it with a micro oiler which allows me target and to get into tight places without over lubing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By vampgrrl:
CLP for everything.
View Quote
Pretty much the same.

Hoppes to clean.  Shooter's Choice  Lead Remover for rimfires.

Good gun grease where needed.  I think I am using Lucas, these days.

That's it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Cleaning? Ballistol

Lube? Lucas Extreme Duty, or Mobil One 10w-30. The Lucas Extreme is amazing stuff for suppressed .22s.

I also only use bore snakes on my ARs, 22s, and pistols. They get the barrel plenty clean and I’m lazy.

I just wipe the gun down with a rag that has ballistol on it, bore snake the barrel a few times, inspect, and then add lube.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#38]
Whatever is handy. I do like the bottle of this stuff i have on guns with a lot of bearing surfaces (1911 vs Glock for example).
Geissele Automatics ALG Go-Juice 0000 Very Thin Grease
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By drew5337:

And some red bearing grease.
View Quote

Any moly grease works.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
people keep saying this but it doesn't mean anything. CLP is a type of lube and a mil-spec, not a specific product. Many companies make a CLP type lube. A few (Radcolube, G96, Breakfree) make CLPs that meet the current CLP mil-spec MIL-PRF-63460F

View Quote

They mean Breakfree usually.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Breakfree CLP - primary
Rem Oil and/or Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dexron III {obsolete} or Allison TES295)
Barnes CR-10 Bore Cleaner
Sweet's 7.62
For solvents I primarily use denatured alcohol, but will use brake cleaner or Acetone if things are really tough.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bafordman] [#42]
CLP

My SO had a homebuilt 6.5 Grendal AR FTF two years ago, sprayed some CLP and all 20 rounds fired since then have performed flawless and accurate.

I have Hoppes 9 for bore cleaning but haven't cleaned anything for several years since I don't shoot accuracy as much as I used to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Breakfree CLP works OK for cleaning and short duration lube.  It dries out and burns off though.  But it really shines for wiping down the exterior of steel surfaces for protecting from wet environments, kind of important in the PNW.

Hoppes is good for a bore cleaner.

Use Mpro7 cleaner fairly often as well, it degreases pretty well, so always follow with oil.  

Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil in 20-30 weights (whatever is handy) works excellent for lubing AR’s.  Stays there better than CLP, doesn’t burn off like CLP, doesn’t collect crud like a grease will.  

If I had just one bottle of lube it would just be Mobil 1- as it needs to be wet and lubed to work, being clean doesn’t matter.  All that matters are contact surfaces and friction.  When running classes sometimes I would start the day by just having everyone pull their BCG, and hosing them down with some lube, usually repeating at lunchtime.  (Although sometimes, if people were not listening enough lately about proper maintenance, I would let them run the rifles as they arrived- til they stopped functioning, just to make a point, then magically fix them with a squirt of lube… sometimes people just have to learn the hard way).

Most used cleaning and lubing tool- good cotton Q-tips…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Hoppes or Sweet's 7.62 for cleaning.  For lubrication I use aa 50/50 mix of mobil synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid.   For applications where I want thicker lubrication, I mix some synthetic grease in with the 50/50 motor oil/transmission fluid.  So far, it has worked great, but I have only been using it for 5-6 years.  

My rationale was that the synthetic motor oil/transmission fluid was designed to work in environments of heat, high pressure and moving parts...just like firearms.  I paid around $10 per quart, so for around $20-25 for a half gallon of really good lubricants that I'm still using.  

I perceive there are two parts to firearms maintenance...cleaning, then lubricating.   For long term storage, there could be a third part of maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Anything and everything from boretech, including their rods, brushes, jags, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#46]
For cleaning
Quick wipe down, CLP on a rag
Strip down cleaning, soap & water with a brush

Lube, Motor oil.

i don't clean them much though.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#47]
BoreTech for cleaning and Lucas Extreme for lube.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Mobil 1 synthetic, grease and whatever hoppe's shit I have in my cleaning area.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Genin:
Hoppes or Sweet's 7.62 for cleaning.  For lubrication I use aa 50/50 mix of mobil synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid.   For applications where I want thicker lubrication, I mix some synthetic grease in with the 50/50 motor oil/transmission fluid.  So far, it has worked great, but I have only been using it for 5-6 years.  

My rationale was that the synthetic motor oil/transmission fluid was designed to work in environments of heat, high pressure and moving parts...just like firearms.  I paid around $10 per quart, so for around $20-25 for a half gallon of really good lubricants that I'm still using.  

I perceive there are two parts to firearms maintenance...cleaning, then lubricating.   For long term storage, there could be a third part of maintenance.
View Quote
@Foxtrot08

Does this make sense?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#50]
As a general carbon & powder solvents: Xylene & CRC Chlorinated Brake Cleaner
Some-time use specialty solvents: GM Top Engine Cleaner, Sweet's 7.62 Copper Solvent, Kroil, etc.
Lube: Mobil 1 or Lucas Extreme
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top