Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/16/2024 8:19:31 AM EDT
What hobbies/sports/activities have the most welcoming people in them and which ones are the worst?

From my very limited experiences mountain biking has the nicest people. No attitudes. Everyone willing to help out. I've had complete strangers stop and help work on my bike on the side of the trail on numerous occasions. I don't think I've come across one jerk while riding.

Or how about what fanbase has the best and worst people?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:25:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billth777] [#1]
In bjj the percentage of assholes is low
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Little league baseball brings out the scum in scumbags.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been Riding/racing motocross since the 70's, AMAZINGLY wonderful group of people across the counrty.

In the last few years I've been doing some local 3 gun/multi gun/pistol matches and everyone has been welcoming, helpful and just cool.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Horse people are dicks to other trail users.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#5]
sportsball people tend to be douchenozzles
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Friendliest? I found the skydiving community to be full of very friendly people. The downside was that they considered themselves to be very special people because they skydive.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The car culture probably has the biggest assholes.

Car shows, cars n’ coffees, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:36:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#8]
hikers tend to be very friendly IMO

surfers its either one end or the other -- either really friendly or really 'locals only' hostile

recreational range shooters -- a mixed bag IME
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Aviation is a pretty friendly bunch of folks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I go to a very small, non-corporate gym.

Everyone is very courteous, friendly, and supportive.

Down side: not an abundance of eye candy
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Road cyclists are mostly assholes
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billth777:
In bjj the percentage of assholes is low
View Quote

This. BJJ self selects for humble people.
Vert rare to meet even an "advanced" white belt that is a dick.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Curlers are pretty friendly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erud] [#14]
In the few years that I’ve been collecting, I’d say that at least 80% of the other super yacht collectors I’ve met have been pricks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:45:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flynbenny] [#15]
I would pick practical shooting, 3 gun, etc.

Your rifle goes down and can't be fixed? Hardest decision will be whose rifle you borrow as the entire squad will offer them.

I've seen people bust their asses to fix other competitor's guns (who will beat them) at all kinds of practical matches.

Edit: the stars of the sport are very accessible. I can say for a fact Jerry Miculek works as hard on a squad as anyone else, and Jesse Tischauser (who is on this site from time to time) helped me resolve some of my shotgun issues.

Silhouette wasn't as gun sharing friendly, but things like spotting scopes were loaned freely, and for someone developing a new rimfire rifle you could draw from other's stashes of unique rimfire ammo to find the one your gun likes.

Sporting clays in CO was pretty friendly, in Houston or Dallas it was for the well heeled and I wasn't made to feel very welcome. That's when I went into practical shooting...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:45:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#16]
I believe the more niche the hobby or sport, the friendlier the people are.
This could be due to having someone to share that specialized interest or passion with keeps people on their best behavior for networking. For example: One could always find someone to bitch with about the latest game or player or team. Not so much with a hobby or sport with a barrier to entry, limited participants or limited opportunity.

For me, it's been backpacking. Serious backpacking. Less than 2% of adults do it. I have backpacked with well over 150 people met on forums, most of them obviously libs.
But politics has never once been introduced. It's kind of a code to leave that at the trailhead. I've only ever had a problem with one woman. Everyone else has always been very nice, almost to a fault. And I've done up to 12 day backpacking and paddling extended trips with people.
Same with wilderness paddlers. People who go on extended trips. All very cool.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By erud:
In the few years that I’ve been collecting, I’d say that at least 80% of the other super yacht collectors I’ve met have been pricks.
View Quote

Only to guys with better boats than theirs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

recreational range shooters -- a mixed bag IME
View Quote

Seems at an indoor range you pay for, people are friendlier.  

The public ranges are mixed for sure.  Some cool people that want to talk about their gear.  Then others that are annoyed that other people are using the range.  They will barely acknowledge your existence if you say ‘hi’ to them.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#20]
HAM radio gives you both.

I went to club meetings for a while. I was the youngest by at least 25 years. They would climb all over themselves, helping to get me going.

On the air, salty hams can be a different animal if something isn't correct.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Car shows, cars n’ coffees, etc.
View Quote

Some of the people that go to car shows, sure. The Porsche/Corvette crowd that they think are superior. The slammed crowd that thinks bouncing off the limiter with open exhaust and trying to do burnouts leaving the show is cool. The bike crowd who only cares about bikes.

Bail on all that and go racing somewhere if you want to meet nice people with cars. It's not racing, but the top of that list is drifting. Probably because everyone there is to have fun anyways.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Shooting sports seem to have some pretty awesome people.

Weight lifting is pretty hit or miss. Some of the nicest people I've ran into were at gyms. But you've also got some dickheads who think the world revolves around them.

To be honest most hobby groups are relatively positive. Only negatives are club leaders who at times can suck the fun out of things
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lorax:
snip...
View Quote

This is true. My RC sailplane club is terrific. If someone is getting started (me a couple years ago, after being out of RC 20 years) you'll be given planes and gear.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#24]
3D archery is full of nice people who are willing to help out new shooters. Great environment for the family kids to come to.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:51:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fergus556] [#25]
USPSA, 3 gun and IDPA shooting seems to have friendly people. Although some of the clay bird shooters can be weenies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I've run across quite a few really nice people in scale modeling, then again I have ran across quite a few know it alls who critique every minute detail of a model they don't think is up to their standards.......even going so far as to telling the modeler they should try another hobby as they aren't good enough to build models
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
Road cyclists are mostly assholes
View Quote

Pretty much

Service Rifle folks tend to be very cool, as are most "action sports" shooters.  Gun range "officials and officers" tends to be a very mixed bag.  

LARP people like Renessance Fest folks can be pretty dickish in the little I saw.  Looked like a pecking order / positioning priority thing by denizens who've checked out of real-life so want to be high status in the alter life?  Similarly, on-line video gamers are probably the worst.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Tweek218:
What hobbies/sports/activities have the most welcoming people in them and which ones are the worst?

From my very limited experiences mountain biking has the nicest people. No attitudes. Everyone willing to help out. I've had complete strangers stop and help work on my bike on the side of the trail on numerous occasions. I don't think I've come across one jerk while riding.

View Quote

Same experience, except for the people who ride Specialized bikes. They're like BMW owners. Everyone I've come across is an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#29]
For me, it's been backpacking. Serious backpacking. Less than 2% of adults do it. I have backpacked with well over 150 people met on forums, most of them obviously libs.
View Quote

Well, no shit, we should be friends.  I do mostly canoe camping and have never bothered getting too friendly with others in this hobby because of the politics.  

Would rather be lonely and solo than spend time around a campfire with someone who’s uncomfortable with me wearing a gun and listening to them preach about climate change.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Wanted to get into table tennis a few years ago. A friend and I went to a couple open sessions at some local clubs in the Metro Detroit area.

Some of the rudest, most unfriendly people I've ever been around. It was clear newcomers were not welcome. Two different clubs same result. Never again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Needlepoint groups are full of pricks.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#32]
This could be due to having someone to share that specialized interest or passion with keeps people on their best behavior for networking. For example: One could always find someone to bitch with about the latest game or player or team. Not so much with a hobby or sport with a barrier to entry, limited participants or limited opportunity.

But politics has never once been introduced. It's kind of a code to leave that at the trailhead. I've only ever had a problem with one woman. Everyone else has always been very nice, almost to a fault. And I've done up to 12 day backpacking and paddling extended trips with people.
Same with wilderness paddlers. People who go on extended trips. All very cool.

View Quote

It's interesting you bring up how politics get left behind when a group of people are just doing what they love. I've noticed that too with the more liberal types I've run into while hiking or maintaining trails; we're all outside enjoying the beautiful scenery/working towards a common goal, national politics don't even come up.

I've noticed backpackers are usually pretty generous. They typically have the least amount to share, but they'll still offer it if someone needs help.

Apart from a minority on this website, I'd say gun folks are pretty friendly  

Amateur golfers can be the worst.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By fergus556:
USPSA, 3 gun and IDPA shooting seems to have friendly people. Although some of the clay bird shooters can be weenies.
View Quote

Friendly but weird has been my experience.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Motorcycle track days. If you crash and can go back out people and parts will swarm to you to get you back out. A handshake and hey you can give me back my spare parts next time out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Drag racing. Once you get past the top three classes, the rest of the racers are families doing their hobby on a weekend.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Whamo:
Little league baseball brings out the scum in scumbags.
View Quote

Can no longer tolerate the baseball crowd. For some reason that sport attracts the worst parents and the worst coaches.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:23:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#37]
Cola bros and sisters best.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I found the best were the off-road clubs where we help each other along the trail then sit around a campfire at night telling stories and drinking beers.

Well everyone except Mark and Maria #XX. He's a dick.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Both motorcycling and model airplanes have had really stellar, quality people in the clubs I am in.

Now, when I say “club” in the motorcycle sense, I’m talking about a sport touring club and not a pirate convention where everyone dresses the same in black and acts Hard so they can express their individuality…
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#40]
War gaming has a pretty awesome core group of people always willing to help out with tips and tricks.

Shooting by and large was great, especially competition stuff.

Autocross was a bunch of car guys zipping around a parking lot.

While there is a percentage of perks everywhere, I find hobbies to have people that are trying g to relax and get away, not stress
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#41]
ive yet to meet an asshole while in a group of jeeps or riding my SxS

same when i use to do motorcycle track days.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

This, except there are a few jerks, the strava KOM hunters cutting lines and riding like dickheads. they're really not super common but they do exist, new to the sport e-bikers who just tear through shit are a new addition to the dickheads on the trail too.

otherwise, yeah I've met people on the trails years ago that I'm now great friends with and ride with weekly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I’ve found the best people in martial arts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Rugby in college was pretty great. Kick the crap out of each other on the pitch, then get together for maybe a meal and then a big party between both teams later that night, where all "bad blood" was left on the field. Never seen a happier bunch laugh harder about the ways they hurt each other on the field.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Friendliest:
- Sailing
- Auto racing

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Car shows, cars n' coffees, etc.
View Quote
I'd say cars fits both. I know some real cool car dudes and some real dickheads.

Unfortunately the dickheads are really outweighing the cool guys anymore
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By erud:
View Quote

Dude you're holding out on me!  Don't be a dick
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By paul463:
Horse people are dicks.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By paul463:
Horse people are dicks to other trail users.
View Quote

That's because most trail users are ignorant twats who don't know trail etiquette. Horses have the right of way. Period.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Competitive shooting seems to have the friendliest people with exception for some MMORPGs like FF14.

Multiplayer online video games, sports and automotive hobbies have the worst people in my experience.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top