Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2023 1:24:14 PM EDT

Are these just slugs?  Otherwise why connect the primary pre out to the main in? Note that the outside ring isn't connected,  just the center.  I'm not an expert,  just wondering...
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#1]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/20230119_121024-2677822.jpg
Are these just slugs?  Otherwise why connect the primary pre out to the main in? Note that the outside ring isn't connected,  just the center.  I'm not an expert,  just wondering...
View Quote

It's so that you can put an equalizer between the preamp and amp.  It's a nice feature.

Eta: Also, the center and rear jacks tell me that is not an "old" reciever.  :)
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:40:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tesadorn] [#2]
Also they do not "connect" each other. And if they do its a shit design as it would introduce noise and a point of failure. They are most likely there to prevent confusion for people. They are rarely used these days.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tesadorn:
Also they do not "connect" each other. And if they do its a shit design as it would introduce noise and a point of failure. They are most likely there to prevent confusion for people. They are rarely used these days.
View Quote

Yes they do.  They are jumpers.  Without them, the signal has no path from preamp to amp.  You remove them and plug in a eq if you have one.

Point of failure how?  They're no different than any other rca jack.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:45:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch] [#4]
Yeah, not ancient,  but only RCA inputs,  and speaker wire outputs.  It's a Sherwood.  I guess it's a gen 1 surround receiver.  It has front (A and B), center and rear speakers,  but no sub out.

But why are those u things there.  Do you think they are dummy plugs, or make a connection?  If a connection,  why just the center and not the outside ring og the RCA ports?

Edit: I see some of the above was answered as I was slowly smartphone typing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Show us the front! I love older receivers!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, not ancient,  but only RCA inputs,  and speaker wire outputs.  It's a Sherwood.  I guess it's a gen 1 surround receiver.  It has front (A and B), center and rear speakers,  but no sub out.

But why are those u things there.  Do you think they are dummy plugs, or make a connection?  If a connection,  why just the center and not the outside ring og the RCA ports?
View Quote

They are jumpers.  Like I said, they are the only path.  The outside ring (shield) is connected internally.  They are mounted on the same piece of metal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I see a phillips screw.  Thats not an "old" receiver.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You can also use the pre-out to feed a different amp, for example, if you had one with more power you wanted to use. Likewise, you could feed the power amp input from a different source.  I use an old sansui power amp, fed by a dac.  It sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 3:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch] [#10]
Originally Posted By ske714:
You can also use the pre-out to feed a different amp, for example, if you had one with more power you wanted to use. Likewise, you could feed the power amp input from a different source.  I use an old sansui power amp, fed by a dac.  It sounds awesome.
View Quote
Understood,  I've just never seen an RCA Jumped amp.  I'm surprised to learn that these are needed if using the receiver stand alone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 3:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#11]
Understood,  I've just never seen an RCA Jumped amp.  I'm surprised to learn that these are needed if using the receiver stand alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ske714:

Yep.  The main purpose is an EQ, like I said.  That's where they have to connect into the sytem because they work with low level signals.  The only alternative to use an EQ is to plug all of your inputs into your EQ, and let it do all the switching.  That's why it's a nice feature on a receiver- a "must have" feature if you were serious about sound.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Any thoughts on a year range when these were available.   1990 or so?

It sounds good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#13]
1990 or so?
View Quote
That's probably a pretty good guess. Dolby Pro Logic was introduced in 1987. DTS hit the market in 93 with 5.1 sound. What you have is actually a 4 channel processor. The rears are mono which is why there is only 1 preamp connector for the rears.

The other thing the preamp outputs are good for is running external amplifiers. Many of the nicer surround processors these days have pre outs just for this application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top