Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2024 7:54:10 PM EDT
Looking for something to read that deals with patience and temperance.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
‭Isaiah 40:29-31 NKJV‬
[29] He gives power to the weak, And to those  who  have no might He increases strength. [30] Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, [31] But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Galatians 5:16-26

16So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are opposed to each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us walk in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying one another.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for inspiration, my humble contribution is Psalm 61 "6 But be thou, O my soul, subject to God: for from him is my patience.  7 For he is my God and my saviour: he is my helper, I shall not be moved.  8 In God is my salvation and my glory: he is the God of my help, and my hope is in God.  9 Trust in him, all ye congregation of people: pour out your hearts before him. God is our helper for ever."

If you are looking to deepen your understanding, I know of no better thorough and succinct treatment than that of St. Thomas Aquinas in his Summa Theologiae.

If you are looking for practical advice, St. Francis of Sales has a great chapter on patience in his Introduction to the Devout Life.  It was very convicting to me when I read it because it really comes down to pride.  I believe @rollpin keeps a stash to hand out to people.  If I misremember or if he has run out, I'd be glad to put on in the mail for you.  I suggest you read it with a generous pour of Bowmore 12.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Just don’t merely pray for patience. The Lord usually TEACHES you patience.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Just said prayers for you, brother. God is looking out for you. Sometimes it’s hard to tell, but he’s there.

I love the fact that you asked the question and received all those responses - they helped me. Thanks!

Off to go refill my bourbon glass 🥃 but not indulge in drunkenness!

May God Bless You
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By abnk:
If you are looking for inspiration, my humble contribution is Psalm 61 "6 But be thou, O my soul, subject to God: for from him is my patience.  7 For he is my God and my saviour: he is my helper, I shall not be moved.  8 In God is my salvation and my glory: he is the God of my help, and my hope is in God.  9 Trust in him, all ye congregation of people: pour out your hearts before him. God is our helper for ever."

If you are looking to deepen your understanding, I know of no better thorough and succinct treatment than that of St. Thomas Aquinas in his Summa Theologiae.

If you are looking for practical advice, St. Francis of Sales has a great chapter on patience in his Introduction to the Devout Life.  It was very convicting to me when I read it because it really comes down to pride.  I believe @rollpin keeps a stash to hand out to people.  If I misremember or if he has run out, I'd be glad to put on in the mail for you.  I suggest you read it with a generous pour of Bowmore 12.
View Quote

@abnk

What I keep copies of is Light and Peace by R.P. Quadrupani, which is largely a synthesis of St. Francis de Sales’ thoughts on virtue, etc.

It’s available for free online here:
https://m.gutenberg.org/files/38355/38355-h/38355-h.htm
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The first part of this scripture is the one that comes to me when I am impatient: Psalm 46:10; Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.  Be still, be silent and contemplate the peace and holiness of the Lord your God.  Look inward for that patience and find it the spirit that indwells in us.  Jesus said that his peace, he gives to us...a peace that surpasses all understanding.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Some excellent posts here. I struggle with impatience and try to think about the verse from Proverbs 3:7:

"Do not think of yourself as wise,
fear Yahweh and turn your back on evil:
health-giving, this, to your body,
relief to your bones."  
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Read about Job
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top