Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 10:33:29 PM EDT
Kinda wanna flake me a nice handaxe.  Anybody know where I could learn?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Their are some flintknapping pages on FB
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Don’t breathe the dust it’s razor sharp also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#3]
@smashy
I think that's his name. He used to post pics of all sorts of neat shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad does a lot of flint napping he makes all kinds of stuff.  I could get you in touch with him if you were interested
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Been doing that since the 70s.  My advice is read through John Whittaker's flint knapping book first, then look at lots of videos on youtube, particularly anything involving percussion flaking.  If there are any knap-in events near you, check one out and watch people.

Worry about percussion core reduction and biface reduction first.  Preparing platforms is a real key.  Pressure flaking and notching are easy and can come later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snatchsquatch:
@smashy
View Quote

Yes, his stuff is legit.  I hope he is doing well.  I always enjoyed reading his posts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Nearest rez?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Uwohali_Agadoli:
Nearest rez?
View Quote
For the most part, no.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Find  couple youtube vids and go to it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Been doing that since the 70s.  My advice is read through John Whittaker's flint knapping book first, then look at lots of videos on youtube, particularly anything involving percussion flaking.  If there are any knap-in events near you, check one out and watch people.

Worry about percussion core reduction and biface reduction first.  Preparing platforms is a real key.  Pressure flaking and notching are easy and can come later.
View Quote
this.

oh, and be ready to bleed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Nearest rez?
View Quote

I live next to one and do not think any of the old skills are left.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:

View Quote

Whittaker on its way, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:59:12 AM EDT
[#13]
There are many primitive skills gatherings across the US.  Rabbit Stick (the best and original) and Winter Count are very good but there are many others.  Count on a lot of "bush hippies" but also back to nature types, and survival people, so there is an interesting mix.  Definitely not for everyone.  For a while every state seemed to have one of them, but my guess is they are declining like those "reality" survival TV shows (Naked and Afraid, Alone, etc).  These gatherings typically have a flint knapping area with knowledgeable people instructing the entire time, so like a week or so.  Eventually you are going to need access to rock because practice makes perfect and like someone else noted, there are health risks associated with it.  You will probably cut your hands every now then and you don't want to inhale the dust when you are chipping.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flysc] [#14]
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:

Find  couple youtube vids and go to it.
View Quote

There are a lot. Folowed this guy Ryan for a while on the HuntPrimitive YouTube channel. He's legit. He even has several how-to videos on knapping stone.

Flint Knapping for Beginners, level up
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
Nearest rez?

I'd investigate. My rez has a few people that teach classes. But I've gone to plenty of small reservaions to help bring it back.

All of our ancestors used stone tools, not just the redman. It's pretty satisfying to take an animal with a bow and arrow you made yourself, and then dress it with a stone knife.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Obsidian is the best material for learning
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Snatchsquatch:
@smashy
View Quote

It's @Smashy
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Forgot to add, if you want to make an Acheulean handaxe, the Texas chert nodules (globs) that are for sale a lot are almost perfect for that.  You can get them by the flat rate box full, lots of people mine and sell them for flint knapping.  That should just be hard hammer percussion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
@Smashy
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#20]
A rendezvous.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flysc] [#21]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
View Quote

Bottle glass is more readily available for small item practice. A wild Indian named Ishi went from living in the stone age to the industrial age pretty abruptly. He'd always made stone tools when still wild, but abandoned it for glass. Here is a link to one of his glass points that sold for $8k at an auction. Also a little bio.

Ishi arrowhead

Sand the bottom of a beer bottle  with some course sandpaper...the scratches running parallel with the circular base..not much is needed...put a 16 penny nail in the bottle, point down...cap the bottle mouth with thumb and shake the bottle up and down. The bottle bottom will usually fall out in one circular piece after some shakes. Practice knapping the bases. I've made a few from bottle glass and i suck at flintknapping.

Edit:

Found this excellent two part video on making a beer bottle arrowhead. This is part 1. Check his second video on the finished product.

how to make an arrowhead from a beer bottle part 1

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Got my copy of Whittaker's Flintknapping, picked used and lucked out.  Full library hardback binding.    Now to read it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#24]
It's pretty easy when you get the technique right.  Watch some YouTube tutorials and just practice
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Also people get frustrated when they fuck up ten pieces on a row.  That's normal. Unless you have flawless material lots of em just break wrong and you gotta start over with a new piece.  Judging by the bajillion flint chips and broken arrowheads I find in piles all over Arizona I'd say the Indians had the same problem just more time and patience on their hands
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Africa
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Find a knap-in in your area.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Go to any state that has implemented communism.

Betcha some guys in venezeula or cuba know how to do it.

Because they have to.

*rimshot*
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
View Quote

Not so sure on that one. If you screw up, it is surgical sharp. A friend of mine was working some. Breaking it down to workable pieces, and a chunk that he broke off hit him on the back of the hand. Cut a vein. I don’t remember if it took a hospital visit, but it bled a lot according to his story. He was/ is experienced at the time. Though a “hobby” you can’t ignore being safe with sharp objects.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top