Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2024 9:31:46 AM EDT
I need some gouges for violin making.  Everyone says Two Cherries is top quality, and the prices reflect it. Where do you look to buy tools, and what brands do you like?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I get a lot of my hand tools from Lee Valley tool. Lots of their products are made in the US or Canada.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:44:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DADGAD] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gunz213:
I get a lot of my hand tools from Lee Valley tool. Lots of their products are made in the US or Canada.
View Quote
Lee Valley or Garrett Wade are two good sources for catalog sales. Price will reflect the level of tool you are looking at.

Often their higher end tools feel better, have better fit and finish and can often be tuned to be extremely precise, but unless you need that level of performance or just like the feel of higher end tools, anything medium grade or better from those suppliers will do a great job.

ETA - I rarely, if ever, use gouges, but they can be tough to use if not sharpened and setup well. You will also do well to research gouge sharpening and setup and be prepared to include the proper tools for their care in your purchase.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Mostly ebay.    For gouges I have Addis, Buck, Barton, Marbles hibernia, L&IJ White
Maybe some witherby and Swan too.   I really like the old Witherby cast steel chisels.  White and Barton are generally excellent too
I have not picked up any more for a while.  Have most of the profiles I needed for carving on the crests and handles of Windsor chairs

Tools for Working Wood if you must buy new.  
https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TX
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gunz213:
View Quote

FPNI. But I’ve gotten tools from a lot of different venders. Do I want quality or is it for one job?
How much do I spend.  I get a lot of cheap tools if I just keep them in my farm truck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Stewart McDonald.  stewmac.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top