Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2024 11:05:15 PM EDT
Just got inside, it's dark now, been road grading for hours.

WTF does the gravel in my driveway go? I have put down YARDS OF IT, yet in certain spots, there is always a hole. I fill it back up with more gallon buckets of gravel, gone again after a rain. Pour more in and grade. Gone, deep depression same spot. Over and over. I have literally put at least 5/6 five gallon buckets in the same spots. Gone. the truckloads of gravel I have put down are approaching idiotic proportions.

It's not washing away either, nothing in the yard. It just vanishes.

It sinks in the ground like there are a bunch of mini black holes under my yard.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Your gravel driveway is probably like 9 feet deep right now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sinks in the wet earth.  Makes it's way back to Earth's crust from where it was spawned.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OscarD] [#3]
Those spots need to be dug out deep and back filled with larger stone if you want to fix the problem for good. Think rip rap.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
"Going Down" - Freddie King

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#5]
Dig the holes out and put bigger rocks as a base.

We have soft spots in the driveways now.
In 97 we dumped a bunch of bigger rock and it solidified the driveway.
Need to do it again but we need to have the driveway back bladed about 4-5 inches down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OscarD:
Those spots need to be cored if you want to fix the problem for good.
View Quote

Yup dig em out, tear it up. Remix and place it all back in the hole.

You get a ring of compaction around the pot hole, so water sits and keeps the center wet. This lets it stay soft in the center and sink as it driven on.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I loathe gravel driveways. The house I bought last year has one and I cannot stand it. Problem is, it is 900 ft long, so I guess I will be dealing with gravel indefinitely.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Gravel gnomes. They're related to the sock gnomes that live in your dryer, and the car key ones that live under your kitchen counter/table.

Rampant here in WA. Their only known enemy is asphalt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Use crushed stone instead of gravel.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

Yup dig em out, tear it up. Remix and place it all back in the hole.

You get a ring of compaction around the pot hole, so water sits and keeps the center wet. This lets it stay soft in the center and sink as it driven on.
View Quote

Yeah, but after 13 years and 8 billion truckloads of gravel, shouldn't it have a base by now?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
The raccoons are stealing it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OscarD] [#12]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
I loathe gravel driveways. The house I bought last year has one and I cannot stand it. Problem is, it is 900 ft long, so I guess I will be dealing with gravel indefinitely.
View Quote

It’s only money. You can always make more.

I’ve been considering pricing having asphalt millings spread on my drive then rolled out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PikeSlayer:

Yeah, but after 13 years and 8 billion truckloads of gravel, shouldn't it have a base by now?
View Quote
Most likely who ever did your driveway missed cutting the pot holes out so now you just keep punching the gravel down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#14]
crusher run
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:22:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyFive] [#16]
I delivered some electrical supplies to a construction site, I called ahead but the crew was out to lunch. The site was about 1/4 mile off of the paved road. When I arrived I noticed the entire driveway was mud, I hesitated but decided to give a shot anyway. I slipped and slid the entire way, if I lost momentum I would be stuck. It was that sticky mud, the kind that make your boots heavier with every step. I made it to a landing that had some gravel and stopped. Called the supervisor again, this time he answered, he said 'I hope you didn't pull into the construction site, we were going to meet you at the road'. As I was contemplating my next move a Ford dually pulls in with 4-5 workers, the driver said just pull on up there, it looks bad but there is gravel under the mud. Sure enough, he was right, I manged to turn around, get unloaded and make it all the way back to the road.
To answer your question OP, your gravel is under the mud.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Geo textile is your amigo
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#18]
View Quote

We battled a steep and twisting gravel driveway at the family house for years, 1988-2021. Shoveled it, raked it, paid to have it done, nothing ever stuck. Gravel in the street every time it rained for 33 years.

The house was always odd, it was an older farmhouse they sectioned off and built a neighborhood around. The back and side of the house faced the road, great for privacy but just weird.

Sold it a few years ago. They added a couple hundred square feet, made the basement an in-law suite, and finally moved the driveway. It has to be a quarter of a mile long, takes a loop from clear on the other side of 3 acres, around the properly line and toward the front of the house.

I don't want to know what that cost, $100k plus?

Old driveway at the top, now dirt. New driveway at the bottom, around by a shop (?) and to the front. The real original driveway came out of the woods to the right.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
I delivered some electrical supplies to a construction site, I called ahead but the crew was out to lunch. The site was about 1/4 mile off of the paved road. When I arrived I noticed the entire driveway was mud, I hesitated but decided to give a shot anyway. I slipped and slid the entire way, if I lost momentum I would be stuck. It was that sticky mud, the kind that make your boots heavier with every step. I made it to a landing that had some gravel and stopped. Called the supervisor again, this time he answered, he said 'I hope you didn't pull into the construction site, we were going to meet you at the road'. As I was contemplating my next move a Ford dually pulls in with 4-5 workers, the driver said just pull on up there, it looks bad but there is gravel under the mud. Sure enough, he was right, I manged to turn around, get unloaded and make it all the way back to the road.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179151/IMG_2025_JPG-3205851.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179151/IMG_2029_JPG-3205852.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179151/IMG_2024_JPG-3205853.JPG

View Quote

Good lord, that looks like a horror show. Mine is all nice and gravely, just keeps getting sucked down to Hell in 5 spots. I need to get a giant Earth Core laser gun and drill them out I guess. I even dumped a shitload of big rocks and smashed up brick in them. Keep shutting down to the core of the Earth every time it rains.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Somewhere in China there is a Chinaman complaining about gravel mounds that keep growing.

More serious response is the soft ground swallows it up. You should have put down a layer of geogrid and a base of bigger rock then top it off with smaller rock.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I just order another 20 tons every other year. I only plowed snow once this winter and I still didn’t get ahead.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Road base aka crusher run.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#24]

I need to get a giant Earth Core laser gun and drill them out I guess.
View Quote

You can do it with a box blade on a tractor, your just gonna be opening a much larger hole, same if you used a skid steer. A backhoe or excavator is the best thing.

But yes dig out 2-3 feet from the edge of the pot hole and down a 12-18 inches. Then stir and mix everything you dug out, put it back, compact and level. Leave it mounded up a few inches for now if you don't have a real compactor and your just driving over it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

A proper drive begins with 1's and 2's. Usually bladed in with a dozer. Then 411's wetted and compacted.
Top with 57's & compact again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#26]
It eventually gets mashed all the way to china. Then they sell it back to us at a greatly inflated price, plus it is contaminated with cunt-vid.

Quit being poor and having a gravel driveway. You are enabling panic purchasing!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Graboids
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Put 2" to 3" chip on it
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Was it as bad as Alabama mud ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a small hole in my driveway that was always full of water. One day I had the bright idea to pick up a bag of quickcrete from the store and toss it in. I figured it would get wet, solidify and boom  no more hole.

I threw the bag in the water, it solidified and I drove over it. I figured no more hole. WRONG!

It took 15 bags of concrete being mashed down until they quit sinking. 15  Dig the hole up, fill it with water and toss in a bad. You'll only have to do it 14 more times.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:24:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#31]
You've been removing it a little bit at a time, kinda like how Andy Dufresne carried out the wall he excavated in The Shawshank Redemption.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Everything you leave your drive way, 1-3 pieces get stuck in your tire treads, and they fall out somewhere along the way. Where is not important, just the fact that it ISNT in your driveway anymore. Could be 10 feet from the driveway could be 100 miles.

HOWEVER

If you leave someone's driveway, and get their gravel stuck in your tire tread, it will never make it to your driveway, even if it's your next door neighbors house you are leaving.

The gravel tax is a serious thing. Nobody wins but the government who gets all that free gravel distributed on their roads
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
Wow, unless there was a legit tire wash before the exit,  we'd get shut down for that shit here.   Looks like a lot of track out
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Mother Earth reclaims everything, some things sooner than others.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#35]
You may have C.H.U.D. problems.

Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Where does the gravel in my driveway go?
View Quote

Ohio, mostly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Somewhere in China, a guy can't get rid of a hump in his gravel driveway. He grades it, and it pops back up. Always has too much gravel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Eitek1:
I had a small hole in my driveway that was always full of water. One day I had the bright idea to pick up a bag of quickcrete from the store and toss it in. I figured it would get wet, solidify and boom  no more hole.

I threw the bag in the water, it solidified and I drove over it. I figured no more hole. WRONG!

It took 15 bags of concrete being mashed down until they quit sinking. 15  Dig the hole up, fill it with water and toss in a bad. You'll only have to do it 14 more times.
View Quote

Yeah but in places like LA and FL, it might actually never fill.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#39]

How the fuck do people get away with this? Where the fuck in hill-tucky is that?

In my world that shit would get the DOE and the state so far up my ass I wouldn't be able to crap for a year.

Nine pieces of clean gravel hit the asphalt and it has to be "documented".

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:16:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#40]
Sinks into the ground here pretty quickly. Semi soft ground, few thousand pound of vehicles going over it on a regular basis and 60" of rain a year.

At one time I had Glauconite put down once since they mine some of it near here. It lumps together and leaches with rain and has is often called blue rock. Like everything else it just gets on the way to China after a while. My driveway would probably cost more to pave than my entire house and property cost, too long. Have aslphalt in some places.

Everything sinks here. My cousin makes a killing with a tow truck he custom made. It tows out stuck log trucks and it happens on a regular basis. Those and skidders, feller bunchers, and loaders. Not unusual to get 4-6" of rain in a couple of days. That's not counting hurricanes.

Live near the largest lake in TX. They have some large boulder size rip rap along the bridge and they replace it or add more on a fairly regular schedule. It just sinks and sinks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#41]
WTF does the gravel in my driveway go? I have put down YARDS OF IT, yet in certain spots, there is always a hole.
View Quote

Shit substrate.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Mine goes into the culverts and drainpipes. And gets compacted.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:01:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDalton] [#43]
I only put gravel (by that I mean 3/4"+ stone) in the spots in the low spots of my driveway, that puddle during rain events. Those spots are underlain with a clay layer, which is why they are low spots that hold water. The gravel is absorbed into the clay during the swelling/drying cycles of the clay. There is some sand in the clay, and the sand will wash away, which also results in the need to add more gravel. But the good news is I'm adding a lot less gravel now, after adding gravel for 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Crushed asphalt works 10 times better than limestone
View Quote

Limestone works better than river rock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Get some limestone, kiln it, crush it, make slurry with it, mix the gravel into that slurry, and then put all back where you want the drive.

It'll be decades before you have add more gravel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

I agree, but my driveway is 8/10 of a mile long. We have no choice but gravel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Just got inside, it's dark now, been road grading for hours.

WTF does the gravel in my driveway go? I have put down YARDS OF IT, yet in certain spots, there is always a hole. I fill it back up with more gallon buckets of gravel, gone again after a rain. Pour more in and grade. Gone, deep depression same spot. Over and over. I have literally put at least 5/6 five gallon buckets in the same spots. Gone. the truckloads of gravel I have put down are approaching idiotic proportions.

It's not washing away either, nothing in the yard. It just vanishes.

It sinks in the ground like there are a bunch of mini black holes under my yard.
View Quote

When your house was built, they probably buried all the stumps from the trees that were cut down instead of burning them or hauling them away.  My parking area was like that until I dug it all out and filled it with pit run gravel and topped it with 3/4 minus.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#48]
We always dug out the topsoil 6" then put in 6" of #2 crushed limestone then 3" of #53 with dust.
The smaller 53s and dust melts down into the gaps of the #2s and makes it as hard as concrete.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By drobs:

Limestone works better than river rock.
View Quote

I can vouch for that. River rock acts like ball bearing when it gets frozen too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#50]
The neighbors say Thanks for the gravel
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top