Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2024 7:35:55 PM EDT
Ugh ??

Just got the results back from my sleep study, so I have to wait until Monday to make some calls.

How does insurance usually handle getting the CPAP machine? Is it just like a medicine where you have a copay, or since its a medical device with a few other things required, no copay? Hmmm.

Also... Masks.
FML wearing a mask and hose connected to a machine is going to be hard to as hell to get used to. I roll around a lot. lol

I hope it makes me feel better after a full nights sleep.
Thats what made me get the test done in the first place... Always tired, even after getting 8-9 hours sleep.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Machine is a rent to own type deal my insurance paid it all. Maak paid to be replaced every so often.
I had to be pretty determined in the beginning to learn to sleep with it. I use a Dreamweaver full face and I'm a wild sleeper. Very rarely do I wake up with it leaking.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It will take a bit to get used to it.
Very good chance that you won’t roll around as much,
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#3]
Depends on your insurance. I know mine has a policy on medical equipment, but I haven't had to use it so I don't know the specifics off hand.

Also, depending on what's actually causing it, you may be able to treat it without a CPAP, but that's something to discuss with your doctor. A lot of different things can cause it besides just being chubby.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It will help enormously. It takes a short adjustment period, but the increased quality of sleep is well worth. A full face mask seems to help the adjustment process, and is more comfortable than MOPP 4. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Depends on your insurance. I know mine has a policy on medical equipment, but I haven't had to use it so I don't know the specifics off hand.

Also, depending on what's actually causing it, you may be able to treat it without a CPAP, but that's something to discuss with your doctor. A lot of different things can cause it besides just being chubby.
View Quote

One way it's treated is with a special type of bite guard that a dentist can make.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve been using one for 15 years now.  It’s gotten to the point where I have trouble sleeping without it.  You get used to it pretty rapidly, sleep is much better.

Also I use nasal pillows, they are fairly unobtrusive.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JarheadPatriot] [#7]
My insurance is Anthem Blue Cross. Since I got my machine in February, the deductible had recharged, so I'm on the rent to own method. $300 down and $80 a month for 10 months. If I hit my deductible sometime before it's paid off, insurance will cover the rest (I think).

Make sure you don't nap. Sleep debt is important to falling asleep with that damn thing on your face. The more tired you are, the better you sleep.

The first few nights, I barely made it 2-3 hours. Now, I average 5-7 hrs, and I'm 3 months into it. Some nights are better than others. I also have sinus issues, so if I can't breathe, no mask is going to help. But, when the stars align, and all goes well, I can get 8+ with the mask.

I don't know if you get up to pee at night, I used to. Now, I limit my fluids after 6pm, and no coffee after dinner.

I went from 45 apneas per hour, to less than one a night. Don't give up, OP! It definitely takes some getting used to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine had a window where you had to have a certain percentage of usage for insurance to cover. The adaptation depends on the person. I have the nasal pillow which isn't too bad. The worst for me was the irritation on the dermis on the bottom part of my nose but it went away. Sleep feels the same more or less but I do feel a bit more rested. Of course I had severe obstructive apnea which is different than what you show. I sleep mainly on my back now and haven't had any snoring since being on the machine.

Try on the different masks and see if you are able to go with the less invasive ones (pillows vs. masks). I think the biggest thing is the ability to keep your mouth closed during sleep. I am not a mouth breather, so it wasn't an issue with me. I know some people have a strap to go under their chins which keeps the mouth closed, but I don't have that issue.

Overall insurance paid most of it and I think I paid a certain %... like a few hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear a Phillips Respironics DreamWear mask. The frame is soft silicone and the hose attaches to the top so it can pivot around and doesn't hang in your face. I'm willing to bet you stop being a "wild sleeper" once you get adapted to the mask. You probably toss and turn and change positions during the night because your body is trying to find a position you can breathe in.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]
My sleep apnea was worse than yours. Apparently, I couldn't reach REM sleep and after using the CPAP it was like the entire world changed. The air was cleaner, I felt rested for the first time that I could remember, everything was brighter and things that would upset me wouldn't anymore.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
My sleep apnea was worse than yours. Apparently, I couldn't reach REM sleep and after using the CPAP it was like the entire world changed. The air was cleaner, I felt rested for the first time that I could remember, everything was brighter and things that would upset me wouldn't anymore.
View Quote
Same. I forgot what it was like to dream. Now I dream every night. I also feel rested on a normal night's sleep. I used to sleep 14 hours on the weekend and still felt like I could sleep longer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
My insurance is Anthem Blue Cross. Since I got my machine in February, the deductible had recharged, so I'm on the rent to own method. $300 down and $80 a month for 10 months. If I hit my deductible sometime before it's paid off, insurance will cover the rest (I think).

Make sure you don't nap. Sleep debt is important to falling asleep with that damn thing on your face. The more tired you are, the better you sleep.

The first few nights, I barely made it 2-3 hours. Now, I average 5-7 hrs, and I'm 3 months into it. Some nights are better than others. I also have sinus issues, so if I can't breathe, no mask is going to help. But, when the stars align, and all goes well, I can get 8+ with the mask.

I don't know if you get up to pee at night, I used to. Now, I limit my fluids after 6pm, and no coffee after dinner.

I went from 45 apneas per hour, to less than one. Don't give up, OP! It definitely takes some getting used to.
View Quote

Thankfully I rarely have to pee during the night lol.

45 per hour? Holy shit, I had 6 events per hour 😮
Lowest %SpO2 was 87% lol... Avg was 94%
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By redoubt:
I wear a Phillips Respironics DreamWear mask. The frame is soft silicone and the hose attaches to the top so it can pivot around and doesn't hang in your face. I'm willing to bet you stop being a "wild sleeper" once you get adapted to the mask. You probably toss and turn and change positions during the night because your body is trying to find a position you can breathe in.

https://cpapx.com/cdn/shop/files/1116700-dreamwear-fitpack-with-arms_1019x1019.jpg?v=1691517206
View Quote

I was actually looking at that mask. You can swap to a full face mask or the nasal pillow.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Sleep study said 33 times an hour.

I never feel tired during the day
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I resisted it for years.  Got a CPAP about 8 years ago.  One of the best things I ever did.  I sleep more soundly and am noticeably more rested during the day.  Don't nod off anymore.  Wife says the snoring stopped so she sleeps better.

You get used to it quickly.  It's good to go.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting how many 30+ yr old men have sleep apnea  compared to 2 generations ago....and you don't even have to be overweight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Try Trazodone to help you sleep.  Available by prescription from your provider.  I was waking up every 45 minutes for the first week wearing the CPAP mask—I asked for something to help me stay asleep, and five years later it still works.  No grogginess the next day, and I rarely wake up in the middle of the night.  Trazodone has a very low chance of being habit-forming, so that was a big plus for me.

Keep in contact with your provider for things like this.  They want you to be compliant as much as the insurance company does…. You’re going to start feeling better very soon, and sleeping better.  Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
View Quote

Mine too, I was having 90 events per hour, no REM and O2s in the low 80s. They put me on a Bipap and it charged EVERYTHING! Now I ave. 98o2 states and .1-.3 events per hr. It’s great waking up not feeling like you have been run over by a bus. As for the machine, I was G2G my 1st night. Now it actually puts me to sleep when I put it on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Just had a test done last week...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't remember my numbers but I know they were bad. Took about 3-4 nights to get use to the mask and it did make a difference. Sleep Apnea can be a killer so don't fuck around and think you can't get use to the mask.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Panta_Rei:
Interesting how many 30+ yr old men have sleep apnea  compared to 2 generations ago....and you don't even have to be overweight.
View Quote

I never heard about it until Former Green Bay Packer Reggie White died. 2004
Of course I was also on 19 at the time lol

39 in a month

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone been brave enough to try the new sleep apnea implant they have now?

Genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
if insurance covers, do it. i have many a friend who resisted and once got used to if, said it was best sleep ever.

**disclaimer i do NOT use one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:
Ugh ??
https://i.imgur.com/gRZQZYR.jpg

Just got the results back from my sleep study, so I have to wait until Monday to make some calls.

How does insurance usually handle getting the CPAP machine? Is it just like a medicine where you have a copay, or since its a medical device with a few other things required, no copay? Hmmm.

Also... Masks.
FML wearing a mask and hose connected to a machine is going to be hard to as hell to get used to. I roll around a lot. lol

I hope it makes me feel better after a full nights sleep.
Thats what made me get the test done in the first place... Always tired, even after getting 8-9 hours sleep.
View Quote
DO NOT get a CPAP.  Get an APAP.  It automatically adjust your airway needs as you sleep.  A CPAP has a set pressure and never changes.  As your body changes, mainly your weight, then your air pressure needs change.  Best thing I ever did was going to an APAP from my CPAP.   You need a prescription for the machine.   For mask you sometimes need a prescription.   You can get around that by ordering a "parts Kit".  Basically everything you just put it together.   Like 3 pieces usually.    I get my supplies from cpapsupplyusa.com.  Whatever you do don't get the supplies through insurance.  They will rape you.  Much much cheaper to buy them yourself off the net.  Unless they tell you the supplies are free every 3 months or so.  I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Been using a ResMed since 2018. With Medicare, I get a new face cushion every month. Other parts every month to every 3 months are basically free through Medicare. Never slept better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Nasal pillows only here. Took a few weeks to get used to it but I can sleep fine with it now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Panta_Rei:
View Quote
Well to be fair, it is PRIMARILLY due to weight, although there are a host of other causes. Besides that, healthcare's gotten more advanced over time and public awareness has increased. More people probably test for it now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#28]
How many incidents per hour and what was the duration?  Don't just accept the doctors classification, the numbers are what matter.  I had something like 90 events per hour with the longest lasting almost a minute.  That was at age 27 when I weight 160 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By LS1Auto:
DO NOT get a CPAP.  Get an APAP.  It automatically adjust your airway needs as you sleep.  A CPAP has a set pressure and never changes.  As your body changes, mainly your weight, then your air pressure needs change.  Best thing I ever did was going to an APAP from my CPAP.   You need a prescription for the machine.   For mask you sometimes need a prescription.   You can get around that by ordering a "parts Kit".  Basically everything you just put it together.   Like 3 pieces usually.    I get my supplies from cpapsupplyusa.com.  Whatever you do don't get the supplies through insurance.  They will rape you.  Much much cheaper to buy them yourself off the net.  Unless they tell you the supplies are free every 3 months or so.  I doubt it.
View Quote

My CPAP does adjusts the pressure as needed. It is a Luna 3B (I think). Never had any issues with the pressure really as it adjusts and I can adjust to my desire as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#30]
70% of people with sleep apnea are Obese.

Over 80% of people with sleep apnea are overweight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#31]
41/hour before

1.7/hour after
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

View Quote

Got a cite for that?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#33]

https://cpapx.com/cdn/shop/files/1116700-dreamwear-fitpack-with-arms_1019x1019.jpg?v=1691517206
View Quote

I use the same. It is great.

I started some years back with a hard nose/mouth mask and it was terrible. Then went to a nose mask. It was better, but uncomfortable and leaked badly. Moved to the Dreamwear and never looked back.

I buy my supplies from Amazon. Cheap and fast delivery.

I don't like the humidity units. They get nasty, the condensate, heat... not my cup of tea. I found a nonheated unit with no water tank. It is about 6-8" square. Great for travel. I could fit it in my 5.11 72hr backpack with headset and a few days change of clothes. Very dependable, I've had it for years. I buy filters for it on Amazon as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#34]
Go HERE, sign up, get familiar with the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions.  They're very proactive and helpful. It's the internet, so there are some BSers and assholes.
"Pugsy" is the guru, she knows her stuff.

The sponsoring company doesn't accept insurance, but will includes a receipt you can present to your insurance company for reimbursement. Personally, I prefer to buy my equipment outright. YMMV.
Most dealers will try to sell you a mask and hose every 3 months. Not necessary, just order the cushions and headbands. It saves money.

FWIW, my machine is a Resmed Airsense 10, the newer model is the Airsense 11. LINK
The mask is a Resmed Airfit F30. LINK
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

They don't call it an APAP... But this is what I was looking at from one of the local places in my city.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#36]
DO NOT get a CPAP...
View Quote

Most modern machines have selectable modes.
There are two menus on the machines, user and technician. You can find out on the forum I listed above how to access the technician menu.
There is also software on the forum that you can download that allows you to read out and display the data on the machine's memory card. I showed to to my pulmonologist, he said it showed more data than the software they used.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#37]
My numbers were bad.  Bad enough to cause a heart attack.

When taking the sleep test, I showed signs as soon as I fell asleep.  They had me try the nose only mask, and air would escape through my mouth.  They switched to a full face mask and I had the most uninterrupted sleep I had in a long time.

I used to move around a bit when sleeping, and that all stopped after get the cpap.  I either lay on my back (could not do that before because of obstructed breathing) or I sleep on my side.

Before getting it I was concerned about wearing a mask and hose.  After they dialed the right pressure in, I have gotten used to the mask.  Since I don't move around in my sleep any more, the hose is not noticeable.  The heated hose and humidifier features are nice to have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I have an asv CPAP.

I hate it. The harness worsens my migraines.

When I do manage to sleep with it, I feel worlds better though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:

They don't call it an APAP... But this is what I was looking at from one of the local places in my city.
https://i.imgur.com/bCI7Arp.jpg
View Quote
I have an Airsense 10 and my wife has an Airsense 11. I've been on mine since 2017, she got hers a little over 2 years ago.
My machine is going strong, she just had to get insurance to order her a new one because it started throwing errors.

Sample of one, but I'm (over)due for a replacement on the normal replacement cycle and if I'm given a choice of replacement, I'm getting another Airsense 10.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#40]
6-8 weeks waite for a new machine.
Mine is throwing a (motor exceeds life time) code.
I feel completely like a bag hammered shit without it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I first tried an oral appliance (mouthpiece). Tried a CPAP. The large mask leaked. The small mask was too small, wouldn't fit. The medium mask tended to travel up my face at night. I went to the nearby city (90 miles round trip) and they suggested a nasal pillow. When I opened my mouth to yawn it shot air thru my nose and out my mouth like a hurricane, so now I'm back on the oral appliance. Can't tell if it reduces my apnea but I sleep better at night.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Witch doctor bullshit

Convincing mouth breathers that it is saving their lives!

All the while pumping billions into the pockets of the great health care machine!

As a DOT bonus! Your lively hood should not depend on your CPAP usage!

Fuck the CPAP scam

Fuck the DOT
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Pro tip, when you get one, buy a small extension cord and let it live in the travel bag.  I have had to use it a few times because of the location of the wall socket and the nightstand at hotels.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

View Quote

Guess I am in the 20%. I am in very good shape and weight 170 lbs. My gf says I must have a case of sleep apnea because I snore abnormally loud and possibly stop breathing. Seriously considering getting one of those machines, since everyone seems to speak rather highly of them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#45]
I have an Airsense 10 and my wife has an Airsense 11. I've been on mine since 2017, she got hers a little over 2 years ago.
My machine is going strong, she just had to get insurance to order her a new one because it started throwing errors.

Sample of one, but I'm (over)due for a replacement on the normal replacement cycle and if I'm given a choice of replacement, I'm getting another Airsense 10.
View Quote

The first one I got lasted about 10 years. The second is still going strong after about 7.
I change the filter every 3 months. It's important to keep the airflow path clean of it'll screw up the air pressure and volume measurements and the blower. It spins at about the speed of a hard drive.
And don't use those sanitizer gizmos. They'll void the warranty on some machines.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
Witch doctor bullshit

Convincing mouth breathers that it is saving their lives!

All the while pumping billions into the pockets of the great health care machine!

As a DOT bonus! Your lively hood should not depend on your CPAP usage!

Fuck the CPAP scam

Fuck the DOT
View Quote

This guy thanks you for your concern.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: malloc74] [#47]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
Has anyone been brave enough to try the new sleep apnea implant they have now?

Genuinely curious.
View Quote

I’ve had the Inspire implant since 2020 and would be happy to chat with anyone curious.

Long story short, it works well for me and I’m glad I went through with it.  I went backpacking for 10 days last year and all the guys missing their CPAP were mad jelly.

Edit: dug up an old post series I made on the experience  
Inspire

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By malloc74:

I’ve had the Inspire implant since 2020 and would be happy to chat with anyone curious.

Long story short, it works well for me and I’m glad I went through with it.  I went backpacking for 10 days last year and all the guys missing their CPAP were mad jelly.

View Quote

Interesting! You are the first person I’ve met(?) that has had this procedure done. Any details on your likes/dislikes of the implant would be very informative.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#49]
The wife told me I snore and then I quit breathing.  Out of the blue I will start breathing.
I did two sleep studies, getting my machine monday.  I snored and quit breathing seventeen times my first night.  It's rent to own for a year then it's mine, insurance covers it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:

Interesting! You are the first person I’ve met(?) that has had this procedure done. Any details on your likes/dislikes of the implant would be very informative.
View Quote

Added a link to my whole story on it, but here’s a short summary.

1. It works well for me (~25 AHI untreated)
2. Mobility for outdoor activities
4. Easier to fall and stay asleep then CPAP (for me at least)
3. High confidence ahead of time that it will work thanks to the screening process

Dislikes:
1. Took me ~6 months to get acclimated and titrated
2. Current model doesn’t have a built in ramp feature like CPAP, though rumor is the next one will
3. Need to be really careful with the remote since they’re costly and time consuming to replace (2 weeks last time I wanted one for a backup).  Can’t just most over to your local durable medical and pick one up like a CPAP mask or hose.
4. Something this forums may care about: when I had mine implanted they would only do it on the right side basically where a right handed shooter naturally wants to shoulder a firearm.  This has greatly limited my recoil sensitivity and it took a couple years to feel confident shooting again.  They claimed it was because the FDA has only approved it for that specific location.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top