Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2022 9:51:50 PM EDT
So I've always compromised out of necessity or timing... you know, the navy blazer and khakis or some generic Mens Wearhouse grey suit on sale, etc. But I've seen some nice suits on TV. And the one cheap Italian suit I had 30 years ago was still better than anything I've had since although I can't fit into it but the wool was light, soft, but well tailored and was very comfortable compared to the cheaper stuff I've had.

And I like John Wick movies. I wish I was in Keanu's shape but I'm not awful, just a bit thicker all around, not grossly so. I've always wanted a BLACK Italian suit with a pressed white shirt and solid tie. Secret agent assassin style but versatile enough for funerals and weddings and lawsuits (the only reason to own a suit in my situation). So I rather spend a couple ? grand on one great suit than a M-F lawyer's wardrobe.

I figure Wick wears something like an Armani but we ain't got any Armani stores at the mall out here in the sticks (a day's drive from NYC).

WTF do you get a quality upscale suit like that?

Second question, does it have to be Italian when Hong Kong or someplace like that probably makes the ones that aren't a million bucks?

I'm figuring $2000 - $2500 should be high quality or close enough, I don't want a $5000+ suit because I'd be scared to touch it.

Funny, I have expensive guns and cameras I use all the time without worrying but Hell I really only wear a suit to wedding and funerals and want to stay out of court.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
There’s a couple places online to order made to measure suits. Hockerty is advertising a lot. Nothing matches custom tailored suits
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
John Wick suit works because it's Keanu Reeves

Best us average Joes can hope for is a nice fitted/tailor made suit.

$2000 should be enough for something nice.

I know it's the metrosexual thing to do these days but I buy most of my suits from Banana Republic. If you're still in the stage where you are buying suits off the rack, that's my go to.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah judging from that picture Keanu’s 160lbs and I ain’t seen under 200 in a long time
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The fit will be way more important than the fabric.

A less expensive fabric of decent quality that is fitted properly will look 100x better than a high end Italian fabric that doesn't fit quite right.  

I'd buy a suit from a 2nd hand store and spend the saved $ on the best tailor you can find, vs. buying an expensive off the rack suit.

$2500 will be way more than enough, but don't spend it all on the suit.  You'll need $150 for the shirt, $300'ish for the shoes, then the tie, cufflinks (if french cuffs), etc.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:51:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snowcrab] [#6]
I'm buying a suit in the morning, (have a funeral to attend to on Saturday and felt like getting a new black suit)  

I will just go to nordstroms, they'll do measurements and tailoring in house  (not nordstrom rack)

Depending on brand, I expect to pay between 1000 - 3000 (boss/armani are my two main goto brands)  

If I still wore suits with regularity still I'd spend a bit more per suit and get a set from a bespoke shop in my city.  

100% of suits require tailoring.  Do not buy a suit that "fits" and leave with it.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd check out The Amoury in NYC.  Good Italian options and you can always MTO.

https://www.thearmoury.com/collections/suits
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top