Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 9:47:16 PM EDT
Any opinions or suggestions are welcome!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#1]
Tamiya just seems easier to work with, to me.
It thins well for airbrushing with IPA.
I use cheap plastic 1.5ML pipettes (3.0ML is too big for my work, 2.0 ML might work ok) for pulling paint from the jar to my airbrush or mixing cup. https://www.amazon.com/FIYO-Disposable-Droppers-Pipettes-Transfer/dp/B0BN81CK9N
I mix paint in this plastic cup  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XGN8WB8?tag=arfcom00-20

Vallejo works just fine, but I feel like it clogs my airbrush faster.
It requires Vallejo thinner, and does not work with IPA.
Vallejo never "cures" and will always soften/strip off with IPA. Tamiya seems more resistant. You can always seal your Vallejo with a sealer first.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I say Tamiya but that's because of my comfort level with it.  I've not tried vallejo.  Tamiya's acrylics always go down for a really good finish and are easy to clean up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GRENDEL87:
I say Tamiya but that's because of my comfort level with it.  I've not tried vallejo.  Tamiya's acrylics always go down for a really good finish and are easy to clean up.
View Quote

Same here.  But FWIW, I switched over to lacquers and have never been happier.  Blending in and touch ups are a breeze now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

Same here.  But FWIW, I switched over to lacquers and have never been happier.  Blending in and touch ups are a breeze now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Originally Posted By GRENDEL87:

Same here. MRP for the win!

Tamiya's Lacquer line is pretty good too but they don't offer a ton of colors.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bunn19:

Same here. MRP for the win!

Tamiya's Lacquer line is pretty good too but they don't offer a ton of colors.
View Quote

I use MRP and Mr. Color.  I like Mr. Color because I can do brush touch ups. MRP because of the ease of shake, dump and airbrush.  And Mr. Color Leveling Thinner is like the wonder juice of the modeling world.
Airbrush straight leveling thinner over dry decals and watch the carrier film disappear and the decal settle into all panel lines as it drys.
Tamiya requires a degree in color mixology and a keen eye for color since they produce basic colors and you have to mix your own FS or RLM colors.  I wish like hell they would get off their ass and make a lacquer that matched their TS-15 spray can blue.  It looks great on a Blue Angels plane.  I decanted the spray can and airbrushed it and it’s just not as easy as hosing it on out of the spray can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top