Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2024 10:49:52 PM EDT
I know that some of us here, myself included, have found some really nice watches on Aliexpress over the past few years, especially for the price point.

Just wondering what you guys are ordering (or even just looking at / interested in) this go around ?  Any amazing deals we should know about?

These are most of my favorite Aliexpress watches. All were purchased during other sale events over the past two years. No problems with any of them and they are all a joy to wear.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Finally, I know that Chinese watches can be a bit of a controversial topic in the watch community, but to me they are a great way to try out models and designs/colors that you otherwise wouldn't purchase or simply couldn't afford. Considering that many (perhaps most?) Japanese watches these days are cased and assembled in China anyway, you're basically cutting out the middle man when you purchase a Chinese branded watch such as San Martin, Steeldive, Sugess, Seestern, etc... Don't get me wrong, I'm still a big Seiko & Citizen fan and will always own a number of each. But, being one of the poors, my meager watch budget sure goes farther with these chinese brands than it does with Seiko/Citizen these days.

Anyway, please post up your Aliexpress finds! If it's a current sale item, links are very much appreciated, and of course,
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Are those blatant copies of Seiko/Doxa or are they sourcing the cases / dials from Seiko/Doxa and relabeling them?

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
Are those blatant copies of Seiko/Doxa or are they sourcing the cases / dials from Seiko/Doxa and relabeling them?

View Quote

Most Chinese watch manufacturers do source the actual watch movements they use from Seiko (NH35) and Citizen (usually the Miyota 8200 series) but that's pretty much the extent of it. Everything else is a copy / "homage".

Granted, many of the Seiko/Doxa watches in question are 1970's/1980's designs, so they are well beyond having any patent protection at this point anyway. (Not that the chinese have ever cared about such things. )
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn’t know this was a thing!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:31:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#4]
I was kind of underwhelmed by the current sale, I usually just buy in the 11-11 sale.

Top Ten AliExpress Sale Watches.

AliExpress Sale Has Started!

Top 10 AliExpress Anniversary Sale Watches!

ALIEXPRESS SALE PRICES NOW AVAILABLE!

AliExpress Anniversary Sale March 2024 ...12 BUDGET BELTERS!

There are some decent deals, just nothing that has blown me away as a must buy this time. Maybe I'll buy the Addiesdive Puck though.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0LxyBy

Or the Addiesdive Tuna for my son

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msPSD1c
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my Frozen Willard.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:51:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: safes2small] [#6]
Berny Titanium

Already have a Tandorio 39mm titanium w/ NH35
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:54:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pctech] [#7]
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I've looked at the "frozen" Willard homage for a while now. Can't decide if I'd actually wear it very often. Might try one eventually, since it's not much of an investment cost wise.

I don't have a titanium watch either. @safes2small  Did you order that Berny? If so, please let me know how you like it once it arrives. I usually prefer mechanical watches, but the thinness of the Berny is appealing. The Boderry titanium field watch looks interesting and is another one I've been thinking about. It uses a mechanical movement.

------------------------------------------

I did go ahead and order the blue version of my Sugess chronograph shown in the original post. Roughly $120 plus tax - amazing for a mechanical chronograph and about $50 cheaper than I paid for the other one about a year ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]
This is my first Aliexpress sale and I only have one watch to start with, so I picked up a couple of iconic Steeldives: a limited colorway Tuna and an "abalone" (white) Turtle. They should be here this week if I'm lucky.
I'd like to get a titanium watch but so far haven't found anything that I like.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Neat.

I don't put stuff on my hands - don't even wear rings - and don't wear watches.  And I'm still tempted  - ha!  Those look great.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I should stick to Aliexpress instead of Chrono24… would hurt less!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:06:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#11]
Aliexpress Sale EXTRA...4 More Watches Reviewed !

That Yelang bracelet "micro-adjustment" made me LOL.

Watchdives is selling some nicer and nicer watches though.

[Edit]
BWC released a new video with some decent close up pics etc of the sand dune Addiesdive

How ON EARTH Are These Incredible Watches SO Cheap?! ??
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I decided to order one more watch before the sale ends this evening.  

I went with the San Martin SN0116. My first GMT watch and it uses the Seiko NH34 movement. It's also one of the first original designs from San Martin that has actually been fairly successful for them.

Attachment Attached File

San Martin SN0116 (Aliexpress)

I paid $201 + tax, but the prices do fluctuate regularly. Right now it looks to be available for around $209 + tax after the $20 coupon (AEUS20).
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I've tried homages a few times, and can't really get into them. I don't even like a faux leather pattern and fake stitching on my steering wheel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#14]
@pctech

I actually ordered two of the Berny Titanium watches. One of the black A fliger and a black 12/3/6/9. Both with the bracelet.

T2566MS-A-NO-LOGO
T2576MS-A2-NO-LOGO

Should be here today, will update…
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#15]
Originally Posted By pctech:

I went with the San Martin SN0116. My first GMT watch and it uses the Seiko NH34 movement...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I went with the San Martin SN0116. My first GMT watch and it uses the Seiko NH34 movement...

San Martin keeps getting better and better.  Their forays into more original designs have turned out some nice designs.  I still want to try one of their Grade 5 Titanium watches (SN0111-T-A1).

Originally Posted By safes2small:
I actually ordered two of the Berny Titanium watches. One of the black A fliger and a black 12/3/6/9. Both with the bracelet.

Berny has some interesting and good quality watches. The branding/name is their biggest issue I think.
This Is BY FAR Their Best Selling Watch!

$50 - Cheapest full Titanium watch Ever? Berny Titanium Field Pilot watch in 37mm

They make some odd ones too:
They Have Sold So Many Of These Dive Watches!

They make such strange compressor style watches:
INCREDIBLE SPECIFICATIONS AND ONLY $64 IN THE SALE...OUTRAGEOUS!

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my two Steeldives in from the sale, here are some crap wrist shots and my initial thoughts. Overall I'm happy and feel these are very nice watches for the price point.

SD1974, the 6105/Willard/Turtle homage:
Pro: Very comfortable even on the bracelet.
Con: The white dial can be difficult to read in some light conditions. I didn't consider this, but the indicies and hands are pretty low contrast. I was torn between the white and yellow dial, and in this regard yellow would have been better. If I'm feeling frisky I'll probably swap the hands to something outlined in black.
Attachment Attached File

SD1975C, the SBBN/Tuna homage:
Pro: I like the color scheme and case design, it's big but not obnoxiously big. The domed crystal is a great touch.
Con: Not as comfortable as the SD1974, at least on the engineer bracelet. The hour hand is outlined in black, and against the black dial you can only see the lumed portion unless you're in a bright area. This makes the hour hand look disproportionately small relative to the minute hand, which bothers me more than I would have thought. Also a candidate for a hand swap. I've never done any watch modding but this seems like the perfect excuse to try.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: safes2small] [#17]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Amazingly light and thin. When you dangle and shake the bracelet it almost feels and sounds like a hard plastic.

My Tandorio watches don’t have any ar coating the BERNY does. As typical of the Chinese watches I’ve tried the lume while initially bright does not last long. Its why I normally wear tritium.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:20:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#18]
. As typical of the Chinese watches I’ve tried the lume while initially bright does not last long. Its why I normally wear tritium.
View Quote

I was going to ask about the lume.  Its pretty erratic between brands and even between models.  I've got a Watchdives that is certainly made in the same factory as Steeldive and Addiesdive with BGW9 lume and it is actually more legible late nights than any of my Seiko divers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: safes2small] [#19]
Originally Posted By MPi-KMS-72:

I was going to ask about the lume.  Its pretty erratic between brands and even between models.  I've got a Watchdives that is certainly made in the same factory as Steeldive and Addiesdive with BGW9 lume and it is actually more legible late nights than any of my Seiko divers.
View Quote

They look great charged
Attachment Attached File

5 min in
Attachment Attached File

15 min less visible to the eye than camera
Attachment Attached File

Not a fair fight. $65 watches to Deep Blue tritium flat tubes. At 1 hour…
Attachment Attached File

I really do like the watch. It’s so light and thin. It disappears under the cuff nicely without ever getting caught. It’s just not useful when working nights compared to a tritium watch.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#20]

I really do like the watch. It’s so light and thin. It disappears under the cuff nicely without ever getting caught. It’s just not useful when working nights compared to a tritium watch.
View Quote

That's not horrible for phosphorescent lume.  The Watchdives I bought for $50 is pretty impressive in terms of lume so even the cheaper watches can have good stuff.  It depends how thick they layer it and usually the ones with bwg9 are good especially if you give them a good blast with a black light flashlight.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]

That's not horrible for phosphorescent lume.  The Watchdives I bought for $50 is pretty impressive in terms of lume so even the cheaper watches can have good stuff.  It depends how thick they layer it and usually the ones with bwg9 are good especially if you give them a good blast with a black light flashlight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Very true. The brand Steel Dive on aliexpress has very impressive lume and many of their watches can be bought for $60 - $100 during some of the good sales.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah I was surprised how well the printed indices on my sons SD 1954 worked.  As well as many applied ones.  

Some brands are a mixed bag- Cadisen is mostly meh but with a few well lumed models.  It really pays to wait and watch a few reviews on any of these watches that pique your interest.   Price range isn't always a clear indicator of quality.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I was surprised how well the printed indices on my sons SD 1954 worked.  As well as many applied ones.  

Some brands are a mixed bag- Cadisen is mostly meh but with a few well lumed models.  It really pays to wait and watch a few reviews on any of these watches that pique your interest.   Price range isn't always a clear indicator of quality.
View Quote

Yeah, I always watch plenty of reviews on the models I'm interested in before I order anything.

You are right, price alone is not a good indicator of quality. Many of the very inexpensive models are way better than they should be, while some of the higher end options (if you can call them that) are just "meh".

----‐------------

In other news, my blue Sugess mechanical chronograph has arrived! I'm very happy with it so far. I've had the other color version of this for quite a while and really enjoy wearing it.

Quick wrist shot:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:03:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#24]
Speaking of lume, San Martin certainly holds its own here:

ROLEX Exposed! * Chromalight v BGW9 * Swiss Made v China Made * £9,350 v £300
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I got one of the Sugess Chronos.  Discounts etc made it very affordable.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I also picked up some parts.

NH72a movement and dial.

Ended up in this case for now.  Will go into a Samurai case soon.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MateFrio:
I also picked up some parts.

NH72a movement and dial.

https://i.imgur.com/h4aJdk4.jpg

Ended up in this case for now.  Will go into a Samurai case soon.

https://i.imgur.com/VaGhB2G.jpg
View Quote

@MateFrio

Do you happen to have a link to the Samurai case that you'll be using?  

I have seen one or two available on Aliexpress over the years, but it doesn't seem to be a very common homage design for the chinese. Odd, considering that they make many varieties of all the other vintage Seiko design models.  

The Samurai is one Seiko design that I've never tried before -- it's such an unusual case profile too. I'd like to give it a try, but not enough to spend $400+ on an authentic one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#28]

@MateFrio

Do you happen to have a link to the Samurai case that you'll be using?  

I have seen one or two available on Aliexpress over the years, but it doesn't seem to be a very common homage design for the chinese. Odd, considering that they make many varieties of all the other vintage Seiko design models.  

The Samurai is one Seiko design that I've never tried before -- it's such an unusual case profile too. I'd like to give it a try, but not enough to spend $400+ on an authentic one.
View Quote
The one I got was defective, the movement didn't fit,  so I can't recommend it.   I'm going to order another.

Here's the one I ordered I've not gotten yet: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805475801453.html

Bad one below, don't get it. The one I got the movement didn't fit in the case.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805393521292.html

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:39:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#29]
Originally Posted By MateFrio:
I got one of the Sugess Chronos.  Discounts etc made it very affordable.  

View Quote

Sugess and Seestern make really great watches.  They're purportedly owned by Sea-Gull so if true it certainly makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top