Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 1:35:13 PM EDT
Hi all,

I am totally out of touch with the automotive world. I know the best shocks and springs for motorcycles and how to rebuild and service them, and know a little about the Jeep aftermarket, but I know NOTHING about what is out there for cars that is high quality.

Why I am asking:  I recently added a 2023 Subaru WRX to the EMOTO stable, and am enjoying having a sporty little 4-door sedan with a 6-speed manual transmission to bop around in.

When I dip my toe into the WRX user community, I find a lot of flat brims and vapers who are very young, and I see strut manufacturer names that I have never heard of. No mainstream names at all. I am old and not interested in flashy looks or making noise or trashy throwaway asian parts, nor am I interested in lowering the car.

The question: Who are the good makers of high quality struts (a shock/spring combo if I am using the term correctly) these days? I may eventually want to play around with aftermaket suspension once the OEM stuff wears out.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Bilstein
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
KYB & Bilstein are my first two choices

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Koni and Bilstein.

KYB is way down the list.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nophun:
Bilstein
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#5]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Koni and Bilstein.

View Quote

Not impressed with them myself, they are pretty shitty quality. [KYB] Unfortunately I can't find any other makers for my DD. [looks like they are the OEM manufacturers]

2016 Honda HRV, unfortunately there seems to be very few other choices and OEM seems to be KYB and I don't like them. All I can seem to find are MAYBE Sachs and Duralast but I don't know who really makes those and I'm betting it's KYB.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Koni and Bilstein.

View Quote

This, except I would have said Bilstein and Koni.

If not those two, Sachs and Boge.

I put KYB adjustable front struts on a car 30 years ago.
One leaked sooner than expected, got another set under warranty.
One leaked sooner than it should have, was told the adjustables were NLA, given a pair of fixed damping struts as replacement and told my lifetime warranty was over. Got rid of the car at 230k with the fixed Kayabas still on it, which seemed to be plenty durable but never worked as good as Bilstein or Koni in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, kyb isnt even in the top 50 anymore.

I've been putting QA1 stuff on my cars.  Coilovers, shocks, single and double adjustable.  No ragrets so far.  A set of 4 shocks is $800ish.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

This, except I would have said Bilstein and Koni.

If not those two, Sachs and Boge.

I put KYB adjustable front struts on a car 30 years ago.
One leaked sooner than expected, got another set under warranty.
One leaked sooner than it should have, was told the adjustables were NLA, given a pair of fixed damping struts as replacement and told my lifetime warranty was over. Got rid of the car at 230k with the fixed Kayabas still on it, which seemed to be plenty durable but never worked as good as Bilstein or Koni in the first place.
View Quote

I hate the KYB on my truck. Garbage. Sadly I had to replace that 35 yea rold OEM shocks as the fronts blew out. The top KYB is worse than 35 year old stocks. Barely better than blown OEMs.

My car had factory sports tuned Bilstein. They were good but didn't last real long. The replacement Koni yellows have transformed how it drives. Plus lifetime warranty. Downfall is over $1000 in dampers. Bilstein on the super duty for my dad are pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#10]
H&R are pretty Awesome too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By turbo_infidel:
H&R are pretty Awesome too.
View Quote

I have H&R lowering springs and B8 Bilsteins for the track BMW.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Penske.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
How much do you want to spend?  You don't want to lower ride height, so you just want dampers?  Or you wanting to keep the same height but change spring rates?  What are you looking for in changing suspension parts?

Koni Yellow/Sport or Bilstein B6.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Bilstein, Koni, Sachs, Tein, KW, Swift Sport, H&R, Eibach off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:42:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#15]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:
How much do you want to spend?  You don't want to lower ride height, so you just want dampers?  Or you wanting to keep the same height but change spring rates?  What are you looking for in changing suspension parts?

View Quote

I'm trying to find out what is good for when the OEM dampers give up. No specific budget in mind at this time.

I have put premium shock/spring combos, which I guess in the automotive world are called struts, on a number of motorcycles, and have been rewarded with a more compliant ride as well as better suspension control. The bikes became more comfortable on rough roads, yet the suspension was more composed when pushed. Something along those lines for the car would be ideal.

In terms of spring rates, I cannot speak to numbers yet, but if there are progressive rate springs, that might be a good starting point. I don't know if those exist for cars.

ETA: I appreciate all the info you guys have provided so far!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd agree if you want just basic quality replacements, Bilstein's are hard to beat, even with mild lowering springs.

If you start getting into coil overs, there is a much larger sea out there. Good thing is everyone makes stuff for WRX's so you have the pick.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I'm trying to find out what is good for when the OEM dampers give up. No specific budget in mind at this time.

I have put premium shock/spring combos, which I guess in the automotive world are called struts, on a number of motorcycles, and have been rewarded with a more compliant ride as well as better suspension control. The bikes became more comfortable on rough roads, yet the suspension was more composed when pushed. Something along those lines for the car would be ideal.

In terms of spring rates, I cannot speak to numbers yet, but if there are progressive rate springs, that might be a good starting point. I don't know if those exist for cars.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emoto:

My knowledge on the WRX, especially modern models, is limited. Rear factory springs are dual rate, and the springs all around are apparently soft compared to prior gens.

I believe aftermarket is going to be stiffer, especially springs.  Most (all? Not sure whats out there for these) aftermarket springs lower the car.   I would compare Koni, Bilstein B6, and OE dampers, leave springs alone.  Going ti come down to personal preference.

The Yellow/Sport Konis are rebound adjustable, which is a bit of a plus if you can drive the car and understand what adjustment is needed.  It's not good if you just crank the knob and don't understand how it changes handling.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
I'd agree if you want just basic quality replacements, Bilstein's are hard to beat, even with mild lowering springs.

If you start getting into coil overs, there is a much larger sea out there. Good thing is everyone makes stuff for WRX's so you have the pick.
View Quote

No lowering. I like the stock 5.4" of ground clearance and have no interest in changing that.

I need some help with terms. What is the difference between a strut and a coil over? Aren't they the same?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#19]

My knowledge on the WRX, especially modern models, is limited. Rear factory springs are dual rate, and the springs all around are apparently soft compared to prior gens.

I believe aftermarket is going to be stiffer, especially springs.  Most (all? Not sure whats out there for these) aftermarket springs lower the car.   I would compare Koni, Bilstein B6, and OE dampers, leave springs alone.  Going ti come down to personal preference.

The Yellow/Sport Konis are rebound adjustable, which is a bit of a plus if you can drive the car and understand what adjustment is needed.  It's not good if you just crank the knob and don't understand how it changes handling.
View Quote

I do understand damping functions - high speed and low speed compression and rebound damping.

I certainly don't want anything firmer than the OEMs. The ride is already so firm that many would find it unacceptably firm.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top