Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2024 1:04:44 PM EDT
I joined iRacing back in October of last year & just started working towards licenses a few weeks ago.

Once achieving D class in Formula, Sport & Oval in a weekend it’s been a struggle. I’ve been focusing on Sport & can’t seem to come close to the lap times people are posting on tracks I’m fairly familiar with (Sebring, Road America, Summit).

Last night was a complete shit show. During the practice session before qualifying this disco just rams me from behind, not once, but twice. Then in the race the same guy does it again, so I get DQ’d.

Any advice or anyone willing to run some practice sessions with me?

I also have FH5 & FM8, if anyone plays those.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a sim rig and do ACC. I have not made the plunge into iracing. Basically due to the cost vs time.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:48:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Got_Guns:
I have a sim rig and do ACC. I have not made the plunge into iracing. Basically due to the cost vs time.

View Quote

I’ll have to check out ACC. I don’t have a “sim rig”, just a G923 & a recliner, LOL

Yes, it can get pricey. Especially if you want to diversify to several series. I originally wanted to Rally as well, but decided to focus on three due to cost. I’m already probably close to $500, or more, int9 tracks & cars &;there are way more I need to get.

I’m primarily doing it for fun & practice as I’m going to run at Road America in May.

Last night went much better. Did an F4 race at RA & did OK.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't been very active with sim racing lately.

I used my trial membership from SCCA, then spent a little money on cars and tracks before I realized just how expensive and time consuming it would be. iRacing is good at having a variety of cars and tracks, but having to pay for all of them on top of a subscription sucks.

ACC is very good. Definitely recommend for road course stuff. I can't claim to know what it's like to drive a GT3, but I think the physics and handling is way ahead of iRacing.  It's all GT3/GT4 cars.

Tried FM8 for a bit. It was alright for the type of game it is, but the car progression system drove me nuts. By the time you unlocked all the mods and tuning for a car, it was time to move on to something else.  I found suspension/brake tuning almost mandatory for some cars to be enjoyable, but you have to suffer through some races without it. I started just going into practice sessions with a controller and turning on full assists so the car drives itself around the track while I do other things.

Assetto Corsa Evo is set to launch this year. I'm looking forward to that one. Should have a variety of cars and tracks like FM8, but with better physics and without the subscription model of iRacing. Hopefully also mod friendly like original AC.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I went hog wild with a full motion sim back in May of 2016 (SimCraft Apex 3), I bought it specifically for learning / keeping current on new to me tracks that I would be racing and to work on current tracks. I use the iRacing platform but I rarely do the organized races - many of them are crap shows. Best way (for me) to use it is for coaching / working with others that are also on a sim - set up a private session and you can communicate with headsets and work on lines, do virtual track walks / drives / etc. I also will replay the best laps of a session and watch from all angles - it helps to see the overhead view and then look at different views, get reference points, etc. It really has helped my really world w2w racing. Learning COTA as a booger, I hated that track at first...then I learned the right way around it - a fellow pro racer / coach really helped with his experience there. So, when I showed up to my first race and had a very short practice in a light rain, well, all was OK! I qualified well and had a blast racing! It was evident that some fellow racers had no clue about that track - even during the last race of the weekend!

https://www.simcraft.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top