Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2023 9:53:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen that in my jurisdiction for a plenary pleading.  

I have seen it used for curing administrative filings like when an attorney is late filing retainer statements with the clerk past a deadline and when the error in filing is not prejudicial and the filing otherwise complies with all of the statutory requirements that everyone ignores any way because there no penalty for the late filing ... Its like "this is late because I overslept but can you consider it filed on time because no one is harmed??"  

but...  that doesn't mean it can't be used for the purpose here or that your jurisdiction has different civil procedures.

You have an attorney?  what did they say.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:20:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JosephTurrisi] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbore:

Yes, I have an attorney.  He wrote the motion I posted.   No one has ever seen a situation like this, but he's convinced once the estate was closed after the SOL had passed, the lawsuit is done.   I have no idea why the Judge hasn't ruled on it yet.  

That background is the plaintiff hired a firm in Toledo to open a wrongful death estate(no assets) to sue the deceased's boyfriend who bought/gave her the gun.   He was a judgement proof felon so the Toledo firm told (to quote from their deposition) "There was nothing we could put our hands on".  
Plaintiff then hired a firm from Columbus to sue me for legally selling the boyfriend the gun.
I'm assuming the Toledo attorney must have assumed everything was over and closed the estate.   I found the error a few months ago a brought it to my attorney's attention.

Basically, one law firm is wanting to use nunc pro tunc to undo what another firm did. No accidents,   Not a court mistake or error.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/motiontoclose-2748259.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/closed_estate-2748260.jpg
View Quote

If the boyfriend is a felon then how did you legally sell him a firearm?
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem here, from the Plaintiff's point of view, is a lack of "standing." The estate having been closed, the former personal representative has no standing to pursue the action against you. Lack of standing is a defect in subject-matter jurisdiction. Generally speaking, a lack of smj is of such importance (it's a constitutional/separation of powers problem) that it cannot be cured by the filing of a subsequent pleading, or by the re-filing of a pleading that was defective to begin with. It cannot even be cured or waived by an agreement between the parties, because it means that there is no "case or controversy" that the Court possesses the authority to adjudicate. Consequently, a "nunc pro tunc" motion should not be able to establish, or re-establish smj. The Supreme Court in my own state has been VERY clear about this sort of thing (based not only on their own smj jurisprudence, but that of SCOTUS as well). Even so, I can't say how the appellate courts of you state would treat the same set of facts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Believe it or not, there are lots of judges who just don't like to make decisions (raising the obvious question of why-in-the-hell they took the job). I've had them take nearly a year on motions to dismiss in circumstances that were every bit as clear-cut as yours. In fact, I've got a motion pending right now before a court here that is an absolute slam-dunk. Problem is, Judge is really going to have to disoblige senior members of the local old boy club when he's finally forced to grant it. It's frustrating as all get-out, of course, but in the end, if both the law and the facts are on your side, then they'll have to grant you the relief you've requested. Just hang in there; it will come to an end eventually.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top