Originally Posted By Ohio:

They can do Tai Pan next.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
Looks like one more episode.  Is there going to be a second season?

I mean, they covered the entire novel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]

That fair. Not really a ton of material after the ninja attack though.

To those who say the show sucked… are you smoking crack? It was extraordinarily well done. I wish the final episode had been done a bit differently, but it was still very good. The rest of the show? Amazing.
View Quote

A lot of viewers though they were going to get a japanese version of Game of Thrones with Last Samurai mixed in, it turned out to be a slow burn taiga drama.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

A lot of viewers though they were going to get a japanese version of Game of Thrones with Last Samurai mixed in, it turned out to be a slow burn taiga drama.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

That fair. Not really a ton of material after the ninja attack though.

To those who say the show sucked… are you smoking crack? It was extraordinarily well done. I wish the final episode had been done a bit differently, but it was still very good. The rest of the show? Amazing.

I saw the original when it came out and really didn’t know what to expect with it.  I thought it was better, but another episode or two would have been an improvement but it was still really, really good.  Like someone said earlier, some better lighting would also be good for lots of historical shows.  I know natural lighting is a trend, but it can be a distraction, imo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By macaho45:

I don't think anyone said that.  Most have been saying it was pretty underwhelming compared to the rest of the series, which it was.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macaho45:
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
Wow.

So because people didn't get a full scale, 1 hour long Sekigahara battle, with cannon splashing Ishido and his men to the 4 winds, the show sucks? Didn't live up to the hype? Worst ending ever?

Really?

I don't think anyone said that.  Most have been saying it was pretty underwhelming compared to the rest of the series, which it was.

This. I wasn't expecting an actual battle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NOVA1234:
Having read the book many times, I thought the show was decent, but short-changed the Anjin.  By making him largely obdurate and objectionable until episode 9, they couldn’t really explain why Mariko and Toranaga had strong feelings and respect for him.  And, the Toranaga of the book isn’t really portrayed in the show.
View Quote

The original mini-series was released in 1980. This was before cell phones, texting, and the internet as we know it today. People knew how to interact with each other. The key to Blackthorne keeping his head was he was smart and had charm/personality.

This series just came out. It had the feel of being directed by millennials that have no idea how to interact with people. Blackthorne for the most part was a rude and ignorant moron. All the real scenes where he bonded with those around him were left out because millennials do not understand that.

Now that I have watched all the episodes I will binge watch it and see what I think. I do think it was not faithful to the book. I think there was the DEI girl power thing going on. The quality - filming, CGI, etc - was obviously better in this series. Technology will do that. Overall I think the original mini-series told a better story.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
'Tai Pan' was a let down after 'Shogun'.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
the dream sequence was flat out weird.

i read the book but a  long time ago. i saw the original tv show a long time ago.

what i remember is blackthorne was always trying to figure out how to build a ship at attack the black ship and get home. he was less 'confused' than the recent blackthorne. i liked the show. im wondering how much the japanese influence in the newer show influenced how the story was laid out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By amendment:

I guess so, never saw the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIs9x49DK7I
View Quote

The original was retry cutting edge back in the day.
People getting peed on. A guy being boiled alive. Beheadings. Offers of gay Geishas.
Crazy stuff for TV back then.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Show was good. Ending felt like a huge letdown. Wife thought so too. Now to rewatch the original. . .
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if they left off with a shit finale to set up another run/ spin off.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I am curious about one thing. While Anjin and Mariko could communicate because they both spoke Portuguese, how was she able to read his logs?

Being English, he would have written them in English, not Portuguese.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: st0newall] [#13]
Originally Posted By 549:
I am curious about one thing. While Anjin and Mariko could communicate because they both spoke Portuguese, how was she able to read his logs?

View Quote

if i remember, they were called 'rudders' and also i think (from the book) they were portuguese or spanish to begin with and therefore 'stolen'.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By st0newall:

if i remember, they were called 'rudders' and also i think (from the book) they were portuguese or spanish to begin with and therefore 'stolen'.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 549:

Just looked this up.  Looks like the significance was that the logbook was essentially the guidebook or map to make it to Japan in the first place.  A trade secret.

So other than perhaps the details of their attack on the Portuguese to steal it. No other information would be in there other than navigational.

It probably had a bunch of information about the travels then details about English Pirates repeatedly attacking them.  Eventually with the entries ending only to be recovered from an Englishman.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
It was a love story.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

"Rutter"

They both spoke Latin as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:26:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eolian] [#17]
I waited to watch this because the wife and i wanted to binge watch it.
We both felt it was pretty good up until ep 9 & 10.
The ending leaves one disappointed.
I have never read the book or watched the first mini series.
Did it end the same way?
If so im not going to even bother trying to watch it or read the book.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I’m on episode 10. Very good show.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I was good with it....that's a lot said for a current show that has to have the requisite schmear of gay/trans/alien, whatever....and didn't.  

See hollywood, a decent show can be made without that add-on crap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Shifty_One:
I was good with it....that's a lot said for a current show that has to have the requisite schmear of gay/trans/alien, whatever....and didn't.  

See hollywood, a decent show can be made without that add-on crap.
View Quote

I'll kind of glad they left the buggery out. A substantial number of Samurai were buggers- in the Greek/ Roman sense.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Who's watching shogun (Page 8 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top