Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/10/2024 3:17:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta]
Been considering a whole house generator, I have seen multiple recent model / newer / very low hour  10kw / 15kw military generators on trailers for sale. They look new. Sell or claims these are pretty quiet, of which I’m doubtful, but I’d install it in / build an insulated shed around it which should really reduce noise.

Will these typically power a house / produce comparable 110/ 220 / 240 voltages? Or are they incompatible?

How hard are filters, and parts to source ?

Seriously considering installing one of these, just need to be sure they are worth the trouble.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Bought one !

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Changed the title… because this will now be a buck19delta extended project thread , complete with general generator information, technical answers, help, suggestions from professional electricians, owners of military generators with loads of expertise, military people with military generator backgrounds, tips for buying them, getting great deals, pitfalls to avoid, tips on owning, running , installing them and much, much more as I work over the next 6 months to a year getting this things fully housed, wired, and hooked into my garage and house power panels on a very limited budget, while doing it cheap / economically / using good deals, Facebook / scrap yard items, etc. So, be patient !

Haven’t done one of these in a while, should be fun !  Think the last one was the luxury, tree house, deer stand thread.

Luxury deer stand thread

Or maybe the anvil thread ?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Just-starting-in-metal-working-Anyone-ever-made-a-home-made-anvil-amateur-blacksmithing-thread-/187-2135212/?fvx=1

Or the home made gun safe thread ?   Hard to keep track, lol.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Im-buying-a-used-Mosler-safe-id-appreciate-any-help-specs-etc-you-guys-can-give-/46-520005/

Gonna be great !

Fuck you green agenda / anti ICE / fossil fuel assholes !
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettysburg30] [#1]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Been considering a whole house generator, I have seen multiple recent model / newer / very low hour  10kw / 15kw military generators on trailers for sale.

Will these typically power a house / produce comparable 110/ 220 / 240 voltages? Or are they incompatible?

Seriously considering installing one of these, just need to be sure they are worth the trouble.
View Quote

Short answer yes...

long depends. Be very careful of those cheaper ones they maybe 600hz. The GSQ 15K ones that could do 3 phase could run a house and then some, they do suck some fuel though. MEPs being  quiet is relative they are quieter than the old ones but still loud. Honda 5ks are more quiet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:21:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJ7365] [#2]
Most of them are onan generator sets and are pretty reliable.

Here is a vid on a guy who installed one for his house
I Bought a Military Surplus Diesel Generator to Power my House

I wanted to get one but can not justify it, we may loose power once a year for a couple of hours. Seems as soon as I get my portable gen set out, power comes back on.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gettysburg30:

Short answer yes...

long depends. Be very careful of those cheaper ones they maybe 600hz. The GSQ 15K ones that could do 3 phase could run a house and then some, they do suck some fuel though. MEPs being  quiet is relative they are quieter than the old ones but still loud. Honda 5ks are more quiet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Been considering a whole house generator, I have seen multiple recent model / newer / very low hour  10kw / 15kw military generators on trailers for sale.

Short answer yes...

These seem to be switchable between 1 or 3 phase, and are “ tactical quiet “ models, more quiet than the standard versions, but I can build a quiet noise reducing shed around it easily . Just looking to see if compatable with home wiring .
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If you get one that’s running as it should you’ll see good stable & reliable power.

That’s an 804, liquid cooled quieter version of the older MEP-004’s from back in the 70’s & 80’s.

I have had several of the MEP-002a’s and currently own two, one for off grid property and one as a backup for the house.

Size the unit properly, my MEP’s are a little on the small size intentionally and even my 5kW consume 7-8 gal of diesel every 24 hours. It adds up quickly.

I always stayed away from the 15kW units as they burn fuel at over gal/hr and if you don’t have a large enough load they can encounter wet stacking. Not sure if that’s as big of a problem with the 804’s as it was with the 004’s though. Either way, $75-100/day for electricity seems excessive to me.

Also, the ratings on many units are way under labeled. For example my “5kW” MEP-002a’s are based on an Onan DJE which in the civilian market is considered a 7.5kW unit. The mil ratings are very conservative.

Also these units can be run through some extreme durability cycles and for prolonged periods of time. Mine have run for 9+ days straight no issues and have an auxiliary pump to pull diesel from a fuel barrel with a hose. Super handy.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Where are you finding these? How many doll hairs?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
All I know is they ran 24/7 overseas, and there were always guys mucking around with them.  So, I figure they're good enough for you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:
View Quote

10kw / 15kw with 350 hours $7 -$8000.00
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#8]

View Quote

Seriously? Just buy a generac at that point. I feel like there would be a lot of potential unknowns here. Plus, you know they are quiet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Been considering a kubota lowboy, or some commercial / generac or similar variant. Older , low hour back up generator ones can be had cheap if you look, only problem is they are usually too big, 20-30-60-100kw.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

For that price, maybe a bit more you can have a generac plumbed to a LP tank which is a better home option than storing 50 gallons of diesel that you’ll eventually have to burn before it goes bad.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Many are 3-phase only though, so be sure to checkout the specs
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

For that price, maybe a bit more you can have a generac plumbed to a LP tank which is a better home option than storing 50 gallons of diesel that you’ll eventually have to burn before it goes bad.
View Quote

I've used 50 yr old diesel with no ill effects.   Storage isn't a problem, just keep the water out of it...
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought mil generators were some weird
Voltage like 460 3p 277/207  ?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:16:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#14]

View Quote

Ouch.

No.  I would love a diesel generator over the propane options as I have diesel shit and heat with diesel, but not at that price for used military crap.  

Go with modern, commercial, and not fingerfucked by some clueless private.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Trying to work out a trade for a 2010 manufacture 10KW tactical generator 110 / 220 60 hz, 1 phase switchable to 3 phase, with 325 hours on it. Looks brand new.

Might be able to work out a trade, guy says he will think about my offer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Trying to work out a trade for a 2010 manufacture 10KW tactical generator 110 / 220 60 hz, 1 phase switchable to 3 phase, with 325 hours on it. Looks brand new.

View Quote

What kind of trade did you offer?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#17]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:

View All Quotes

My 2008 grizzly 1754 boat with 40hp Mercury.

Really don’t use it at all, haven’t taken it out in 2 years, and only used it 5 times in total in 5 years.  Plus hate the thought of trying to sell it. If I can swap it for near value and gain an excellent piece of equipment I want / need I’ll be happy. Generator I’m looking at is made by onnan, and has 350 hours. Values I’m seeing online running from $4500 - $10,000 / run from slightly under boat value to slightly over and everywhere in between, so value seems close enough. Not to mention selling a boat and sale price varies as well.

Dude says he thinks we can make this deal work.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#18]
A positive for any of the military models over the civilian models is the amount of literature available for them. You can still get all of the  technical manuals.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Want, but diesel goes bad. Considering propane instead.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Like most military surplus gear out there, the commercial offerings are better.

Buying one of those over a propane Generac of the same size for 1/4 the price is silly. I think most people that buy them only do so because they are milsurp and thus "cool"
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want a diesel generator buy a northern lights 6KW and it will last the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the Mep-803A and it's been great.  Mine had about 160 hours on the hour meter when I got it. It starts up right away, no need to wait for glow plugs. Every thing works on it with the exception of the auxiliary tank fill circuit. the aux fill circuit controller was bad so I took it apart and changed out a little mosfet and bingo, back in action.   I like these gens because they are 1800rpm and I think 1.8L engines.   Big slow moving diesels are my fav choice for power generation.
It's already been through 1 hurricane and performed flawlessly.

I took it off the big trailer it came with and put it on a small garden tractor trailer so I could more easily store it indoors. I sold the trailer it came with for a few grand.

You have any questions just ask.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an MEP-803a

It's a terrific piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#24]
There was a member that was buying a bunch of them and selling them cheap some years ago.

Missed out on a couple of the smaller ones. Was a bit short on money.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:33:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJ7365] [#25]

Really don’t use it at all, haven’t taken it out in 2 years, and only used it 5 times in total in 5 years.  Plus hate the thought of trying to sell it. If I can swap it for near value and gain an excellent piece of equipment I want / need I’ll be happy. Generator I’m looking at is made by onnan, and has 350 hours. Values I’m seeing online running from $4500 - $10,000 / run from slightly under boat value to slightly over and everywhere in between, so value seems close enough. Not to mention selling a boat and sale price varies as well.

View All Quotes

Yeah, if your not using the boat, then hell, why not, you'll get more use out of the gen set, and 350 hours is nothing.

Smokstak is the ARFCOM of gen sets

Here is the forum covering MEPS

Military MEP
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
I thought mil generators were some weird
Voltage like 460 3p 277/207  ?
View Quote
Some are,  ones the AF use are of voltages and frequencies that the planes use.  Completely different from from residential.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I would love a 30 KW to sit between my house and the duplex I rent out.  Want to get set up for  WMO to run it on!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#28]
Originally Posted By JPL:
I would love a 30 KW to sit between my house and the duplex I rent out.  Want to get set up for  WMO to run it on!
View Quote

Lots of good used 30 kw generators out there. Large generators 30 kw and up are often cheaper.

Seriously, I’m seeing really nice / cheap deals on 30kw, 45 kw, etc generators.

45 kw onan, 800 hours, looks new, $6000.00

45kw older onan, 1000 hours $2500.00,

100kw military, like new, 100 hours, $7000.00

Tons of them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Given fuel costs to keep these running, home solar makes more sense IMO. You can use a cheap generator and a small amount of stored fuel to operate in hybrid with your solar and battery system to keep your house running through adverse weather.

The solar system and batteries pay for themselves over a decade and continue saving you money after that.

I've got a 9kw generator that cost me $620 and is sized for charging my batteries. It only needs to run for four to six hours to bring the batteries up and then can be turned off until the weather is bad again. I matched it to my chargeverter so it stays in the optimal efficiency range while it's on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#30]
A friend bought one of those at a .gov auction.   I think it needed some work, but he uses it when power goes out, and seems satisfied with it.
OTOH, it is about 10 times bigger and taking 10x more space than a similar capacity Kohler or Generac whole house generator.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:59:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shootsenmeister] [#31]
Having used and maintained at an operator level 15k and 30k military generators,,, I think highly of them.

You absolutely need to put a load on them. they should be ran at a 60% load or more, 75% is the ideal minimum .When you run the generator and it doesn’t have enough load on it, the engine will “wet stack” and will not run correctly. I do not know exactly what the fix is as this is a task requires a generator repairer to fix.
One of the early signs of wet stacking is wet fuel drops coming out the exhaust.

As long as you have the correct load on the generator you keep it filled up with fuel and you check and add oil as needed it will run for weeks, months, etc without much servicing.

These generators allow you to manually set the volts and hertz you want to run. They have gages however using a multimeter is the most accurate way to set them up.

Best of luck

For that kind of money I’d choose something else.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:22:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#32]
This is basically how all of my deals / projects start. Nothing planned, then BOOM ! A deal pops up on Facebook, or an idea pops into my head and suddenly I have to leave in 15 minutes to drive 2 hours to meet someone , or Iv got a new months long project suddenly powering up.

In back to the future, when doc had that happen, he said “ GREAT SCOTT ! “ or “ UREKA “ !

In my case it’s more like “ FUCK “ !  “ SON OF A BITCH “ !

Because if this deal goes thru, sure, suddenly I have an amazing kick ass military generator worth near $10,000.00. Awesome !

I just got a great deal !

Because now, I need an expensive kick ass transfer switch !  And fucking a bunch of heavy guage copper cable, a electrician, pallet of concrete for building a slab, mixer rental, lumber, insulation, and metal roof to build a nice enclosure / shed for the generator and 100 gallon aluminum tank I picked up years ago.

Talking, um… easily $2000.00, probably $3000.00, and that’s if I find a great deal on a switch, luck into cheap scrap yard cable, do the work to build the enclosure myself, and find someone to help with the install cheap.

FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK !  

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
If you want a diesel generator buy a northern lights 6KW and it will last the rest of your life.
View Quote

I was never able to even get a quote from them
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

How is that 10KW rated on single phase or three phase because it wont be both. If it is a 10KW 3 phase unit it will be 1/3rd less on single phase.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I see cheap generacs on marketplace all the time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:43:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#36]
Originally Posted By JosephTurrisi:

How is that 10KW rated on single phase or three phase because it wont be both. If it is a 10KW 3 phase unit it will be 1/3rd less on single phase.

View All Quotes

Dunno, guess I need to pull the output . Lemme look.  

Um, I think you’re right ? The terminology makes my head hurt,

Mep 803a

120/240VAC single phase at 34 amps max,  think this is…..  7.2 KW ?  

and 120/208VAC three phase 52 amps max.                             10.816 kw ?

So yeah, you’re right, this generator would only produce a useful to me, 7.2 KW.     Well fuck.

Let me figure the 15kw military generator.

Best I can see the 15kw produces 10kw at single phase, with maybe a little extra surge.

Well shit, yeah, I don’t think this 10kw is what I want. Iv already got a gas portable 8kw generac, so that would do similar, the military generator would just last much longer. Hmmm.  Video I saw of this generator being used in a home, their lights and electric stove was pulling 25% load, but yes, 7.2kw is disappointing to be sure.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Look for the one's that are called TQC "Tactical Quiet Generators.

Yes, they are good and will run forever.

They run at lower decibels, so they are more pleasant around your "rest area".

I watch these on Iron Planet from time to time.

15KW TQG

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#38]

These seem to be switchable between 1 or 3 phase, and are “ tactical quiet “ models, more quiet than the standard versions, but I can build a quiet noise reducing shed around it easily . Just looking to see if compatable with home wiring .
View All Quotes

Short answer yes...

output hookup can be directed to single phase. We connected up a MEP one time to a building that had its power disconected wired direct to the panel. Id get a transfer switch.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:53:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JosephTurrisi] [#39]

View Quote

I am betting it is 10KW three phase which would be somewhere around 6.5KW on single. Do you have a pic of the power data plate that shows wattage and voltages you could post?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#40]

I am betting it is 10KW three phase which would be somewhere around 6.5KW on single. Do you have a pic of the power data plate that shows wattage and voltages you could post?
View All Quotes

I looked it up, it’s approx 7.2kw on single, and 10kw on three phase.  Looks like I’d realistically need a 15kw to get 10kw which would be my comfortable minimum for this project.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Thompson ATS's have been killing me on leadtimes. Hopefully you can find an in stock Asco ATS
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File
just note this is an 805B

Just make sure it’s the A model and not the B model as the B model has a computer screen that is known to go out.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

My buddy bought one from gov planet. He picked it up in Longview I think.

I believe he got the 15kw can't remember.  He had to rewire for single phase 120/208. I think.

But it's doable, he did it and knows nothing of electricity.  But he was a truck mechanic for many years.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#44]

I looked it up, it’s approx 7.2kw on single, and 10kw on three phase.  Looks like I’d realistically need a 15kw to get 10kw which would be my comfortable minimum for this project.
View Quote

I bet that 7.2 is the surge rating and not the running rating so real world power is probably around 6KW. Some Onan generators had what was called an extended stack and could produce full power on both single and 3 phase. I not sure if any other manufacture did that and now that Cummins owns Onan and killed a bunch of the Onan line I don't know if they make them any more
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#45]
On the load and wet stack issue.  You may want 2 generators?  A little Honda Inverter that sips fuel, keep some lights and the TV going.  Then the big dog that runs for 3-4hrs in the afternoon/evening and you crank up the HVAC, well pump, washing machine, etc.

I know there is a small .Mil 10HP Yanmar Single Cylinder Diesel that is Inverter based and should sip fuel.  MEP-831a rated 3Kw but likely run 5Kw in civilian rating.

I have a Generac XD5000E which is 5500 Watts starting that will "just" start my 20A@240V well pump with minimum other loads.  My goal was the well, and to run a Window Unit AC if needed.  Its not an Inverter and is pretty noisy and heavy.  But that 10HP Yanmar has a high reputation.  I bought it from Sun Rental for $1200 w/60hrs on the meter normally $3500+
https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/xd-series-(1)/xd5000e
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#46]
What's fuel consumption per hour?

That would be my main concern.

2 gallons per hour would not be very economical.

2 quarts per hour might make it feasible.

2 cups per hour...now were doing something..
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#47]
@buck19delta

A 10kw, MEP-803a should be more than enough generator for the average house.  I have a gas water heater and furnace, and my whole house can run on a 5kW MEP-802a, even in the summer with A/C. (I have a nice 5-stage inverter driven A/C unit)

I'd be glad to help you work through this since I have a little experience with the 5kw and 10kw models.

First thing to know is the power ratings on these generators are listed at a 0.8 power factor, which accounts for losses driving inductive loads like motors.  Most consumer grade equipement is rated at a 1.0pf.  Also, the rating are continuous power, not peak.  That 10kw rated gen will drive a 12.5 kW resistive load all day and night in any weather without derating.  Many units will pull more than their nameplate rating under nominal conditions.

The 803a will output its full wattage at 120/240 single phase.  That is over 52 amps @ 240V continuous.

Noisewise, they are not silent, but I cant hear it running from inside the house.  My Honda EU2200i is more quiet at idle, but if I pair two together and they are working, they are 3db louder than the MEPs and still half the output of the smaller 5kW unit.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
What's fuel consumption per hour?

That would be my main concern.

2 gallons per hour would not be very economical.

2 quarts per hour might make it feasible.

2 cups per hour...now were doing something..
View Quote

The 5kw MEP-802a will burn about 0.25gal/hr unloaded amd 0.5gal/hr fully loaded.

The 10kW 803a will burn 1.0 gal/hr at full rated load.

Both work put to be roughly 0.1gal/kWhr when loaded, which is very efficient even compared to Honda inverter gens.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:07:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#49]
Originally Posted By Rock_Ranger:
@buck19delta

A 10kw, MEP-803a should be more than enough generator for the average house.  I have a gas water heater and furnace, and my whole house can run on a 5kW MEP-802a, even in the summer with A/C. (I have a nice 5-stage inverter driven A/C unit)

I'd be glad to help you work through this since I have a little experience with the 5kw and 10kw models.

First thing to know is the power ratings on these generators are listed at a 0.8 power factor, which accounts for losses driving inductive loads like motors.  Most consumer grade equipement is rated at a 1.0pf.  Also, the rating are continuous power, not peak.  That 10kw rated gen will drive a 12.5 kW resistive load all day and night in any weather without derating.  Many units will pull more than their nameplate rating under nominal conditions.

The 803a will output its full wattage at 120/240 single phase.  That is over 52 amps @ 240V continuous.

Noisewise, they are not silent, but I cant hear it running from inside the house.  My Honda EU2200i is more quiet at idle, but if I pair two together and they are working, they are 3db louder than the MEPs and still half the output of the smaller 5kW unit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20230729_162353-2946093.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rock_Ranger:
@buck19delta

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20230729_162353-2946093.jpg

My entire house is electric.

I’m planning to eventually swap my electric furnace, and water heater to propane, and after that… this 10kw generator might well work, but currently it won’t. And while as you said SOME will produce more, guaranteed the one I buy won’t.      

Let me get a picture of the data plate for this exact generator and I’ll send it to you, maybe you can figure out if it can / will produce more kw on single phase.

What a description of this generator model I read was full 10kw rating was in 3 phase, and single phase was only 7kw.

The MEP 803A is a 10kW (10,000 watt) generator producing 60Hz of electric power. The MEP 803A is fully enclosed and self contained, it weighs 1140lbs dry, and 1242lbs with a full fuel tank. The MEP 803A is 32 wide, 37 tall, and 62 long and can be mounted on a M116A3 trailer. The MEP 803A engine is an Onan, naturally-aspirated, four cylinders, four cycle, and liquid cooled diesel engine. The engine idle speed is 1745 RPM. The horsepower rating is 24.1 HP at 1800 RPM. The diesel engine has an oil capacity of 5.9 quarts (5.6 liters), and normal operating pressure is 25 – 60 PSI. The cooling system has a capacity of 8.2 quarts (7.8 liters), and normal operating temperature is 170°F – 200°F. it is equipped with a 9 gallon (34 liters) fuel tank, allowing eight hours of continuous operation at a full load. The MEP 803A will consume .99 gallons (3.75 liters) per hour. When the MEP 803A is connected to an auxiliary fuel system, it will be continually replenished. The MEP 803A is designed to use DF-1, DF-2, JP-4, JP-5, or JP-8. It has a 24VDC cranking system. The 24VDC comes from two 12V batteries, connected in series. The output voltages for this unit are 120VAC single phase at 104 amps max, 120/240VAC single phase at 34 amps max, and 120/208VAC three phase 52 amps max.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Been considering a kubota lowboy, or some commercial / generac or similar variant. Older , low hour back up generator ones can be had cheap if you look, only problem is they are usually too big, 20-30-60-100kw.
View Quote

I had the kubota offering that got used and abused for years in an Industrial construction setting.  It was rock solid right up till it just got to tired and quit.  Lots of hours.  Have the Generac whole home offering at my house and wouldn't want to be without it.  The more I read and learn about military grade stuff the more I'd steer clear of most anything mechanical.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top