Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2023 1:51:54 PM EDT
Also, with countdown, you can set the pip over one hour and you’ll still have the end be ‘correct’.

When you time things, like bottom time, you count DOWN

So why are the majority count UP ?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you’re actually diving, the bezel is useful for figuring elapsed time, instead of time remaining.

And if you’re actually diving, you’d be better served by a dive computer
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a count up watch for my rec cert.

It’s plenty for me for my basic diving but countdown would have been more intuitive.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Unless you’re actually diving, the bezel is useful for figuring elapsed time, instead of time remaining.

And if you’re actually diving, you’d be better served by a dive computer
View Quote

We didn’t have anything called  “diving computer” in 1970, just a Bulova dive watch.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's so, when you get to your max depth, you set it, and the elapsed time is then your bottom time at that depth.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
I think it's so, when you get to your max depth, you set it, and the elapsed time is then your bottom time at that depth.
View Quote

No...your time starts at descent.   I still drop as fast as I can because its still in my head plus its all about time on the bottom.

Count down bezels are usually bi-directional so would be dangerous in a dive timing scenario ( accidentally move bezel giving you more perceived dive time then getting bent).  Count up will be obvious how much time you went over your planned time and can do stops as needed..count down you will have to remember whatever the intial setting was and add it to your extended stay.

I used (still do occassionally) a Princeton Tec mechanical countup timer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Tudor FXD bezel counts down, a watch specifically designed for the French Marine National. When I recreationally learned wreck and underwater nav, we knew our swimming place and counted down to hit waypoints. Should be able to navigate pretty easily with a compass and a watch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bap:
(Snip)
I used (still do occassionally) a Princeton Tec mechanical countup timer.
View Quote

WOW - someone else here actually knows about these. I used to use one, and I think I still have it, but IIRC, it stopped working decades ago.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My Shearwater counts down on my NDL/bottom time remaining.

All heil Shearwater
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TigerForce:

WOW - someone else here actually knows about these. I used to use one, and I think I still have it, but IIRC, it stopped working decades ago.
View Quote

Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top