Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 1:47:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Crazy housewives need new furniture every other year. Outdoor stuff you can wash off, so no body fluid accumulation. Buy gently used from crazy housewife.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd bet you could take those same sets in many big box stores and find the same stuff on Ali Express to show actual cost
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
They jack the price up 25% when they see site staff members of gun forums coming.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:29:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#4]
Market/ target demographic based pricing.

If you are of sufficent means to afford a patio worth furnishing, you can afford the furniture.

Econ 101...
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I see a bunch of cheap sets on Walmart.com. you can also wait for mid to late summer and try to pick something up on liquidation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:51:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

I can afford it.  I'm just cheap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duke117:

If you are of sufficent means to afford a patio worth furnishing, you can afford the furniture.

Econ 101...

Buy it off season. But then your selection is diminished.

Costco has had some decent deals for the quality.

If you expect decent longevity (esp direct sun exposure, regardless of use) there's often a correlation to price - and weight.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#8]

View All Quotes

Econ 101...

Then no complaining..

Not sure what the situation is in your area but around here Iv'e seen some pretty solid deals on Facebook Marketplace.
With summer coming, it may not be an ideal time but  used patio furnishings are pretty gently treated as most people have them for decorative puposes only.

Random example but lots to choose from. I bet $700 cash gets this particular deal done.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]

30 bucks each at walmart.    Even has phone holder.  

Anything more than that is on you or her.    Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I don’t even want to know what our Tropitone set would cost these days.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#11]
30 years ago…….I bought indoor wicker couch chair and loveseat.  I had the cushions reupholstered twice and I painted the wicker twice.  It has held up.  It is under a covered patio.

The wicker is starting to degrade……..i will try to squeeze another year out of it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#12]
You’re buying at the start of the season the sale is at the end of the season and starts around July 4 th
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I will just keep my twenty-year-old stuff, it works.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Karen only cares what it costs per month.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife has decided she wants Polywood for our new outdoor space and pool. It’s going to host like $10k for what she wants.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:18:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#16]

View Quote

And, OP, I'm not really sure either. The fancy stuff with iron castings, I get that.  But the basic sets of bent 16ga chinesium and vinyl I don't understand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Even at Big Lots.

Do they have high rollers?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#18]
We shopped one outdoor place here in Oklahoma.  Found a set we really liked for $1200.  Went to Amazon and found the exact same set for like $300, delivered.  Or course, this was in 2018 and pre-scamdemic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Costco has great deals on their stuff. Especially when they are switching vendors.

Or swing by your expensive outdoor place around October.  We grabbed a $6000 cast aluminum set with lazy Susan for around $2400. It was a few hundred pounds of aluminum that was delivered.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I think they see how expensive the real good stuff is that lasts years outdoors and as long as they price their cheap garbage under that people see it as a win but they are getting ripped off bigly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Not only the cost, why is it so fucking low? I'm 6' and so is my wife. Everything is like 2" off the ground. I don't understand why no one can make furniture that is made for someone larger then 4'6".
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#22]
you can always use more amish made polywood furniture
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Then no complaining..

Not sure what the situation is in your area but around here Iv'e seen some pretty solid deals on Facebook Marketplace.
With summer coming, it may not be an ideal time but  used patio furnishings are pretty gently treated as most people have them for decorative puposes only.

Random example but lots to choose from. I bet $700 cash gets this particular deal done.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_3562_png-3196436.JPG
View Quote

That umbrella is a rickety piece of shit.

Attachment Attached File

With the environment and weather we have here the china metal doesn't last long and starts rust staining your deck by the end of summer. For some reason my wife keeps buying this shit. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#24]
It’s free for pick up at Starbucks
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Why is (insert just about anything) so expensive?

I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Some of the prices are at ludicrous levels...
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/332091/IMG_0107-3196437.jpg

View Quote

If you get the white ones, you can throw them in the pool right after you shock it, and they will come out whiter than they went in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Bulky items cost more to ship from China
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
It’s free for pick up at Starbucks
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#29]
So people can brag how much they paid to the neighbors that come over once a year
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
So people can brag how much they paid to the neighbors that come over once a year
View Quote

But that's the thing, no one knows patio furniture brands. It's not like someone buying a designer handbag.

Not once in my life have I ever heard anyone brag about how much their patio furniture cost. And I've never heard anyone talking about how expensive someone else's patio furniture is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Not only the cost, why is it so fucking low? I'm 6' and so is my wife. Everything is like 2" off the ground. I don't understand why no one can make furniture that is made for someone larger then 4'6".
View Quote

They call it ‘balcony height’ and it’s meant to be used with high-rise balconies—roughly 38”-40”.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Because it’s peak patio furniture time, silly. It’s cheaper end of season natch.

See also: Lawnmowers and grills.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I sold high end patio furniture, Hot tubs and BBQs for a while.     It was insane how much people would pay for patio furniture, especially in Washington and that was ten years ago.   That said money was not a concern to those that did.  

Brown Jordon was one just of the brands we sold.    

https://www.classicpatio.com/collections/brown-jordan
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Costco has some nice stuff for reasonable money this year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#35]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
I sold high end patio furniture, Hot tubs and BBQs for a while.     It was insane how much people would pay for patio furniture, especially in Washington and that was ten years ago.   That said money was not a concern to those that did.  

View Quote

Rich’s?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/332091/IMG_0107-3196437.jpg

View Quote

$30 each? I just got 2 for $15 each at Lowe’s
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

My sister has that furniture.  It does hold up well considering all the sun, but $3500 a chair is a little pricey.

I was at the powder coater I use and he had 16 brand new chair frames that the owner wanted the color to match his house. Crazy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm a designer at a high end pool & landscaping company.  On the higher end projects, people easily spend $50-75K on outdoor furniture.  I'm talking $5K umbrellas and $7500 day beds.  Some of my projects are $500K on a $5Mil house, so they got the money.  On one of the builders I work with, the interior design company will fully furnish the house as well.  I bet they are spending $100K indoors (easily) and the builder gets 20% as he does cost plus 20%.  It goes with their $125K vehicles.  When the builder is rolling up in a G-wagon, there is definitely money to be spread around.  The builder 'scolded' me for not adding a $3K auto-ignitor to the fire pit.  When I mentioned that I did and they removed it to save cost, he said add it back in and charge $3500 to cover the change order fee.  I do well in sales, but this is truly another world.

I suspect that part of the cost of outdoor furniture is that you only buy some every 5-10 years.  People who got money, while they don't want to spend it, realize it's the cost of having a nice patio.  I'm fairly lucky as I have found high end teak sets at Goodwill that I recognized and got for $100.  I'm tempted to have one of the crews build in a day bed (block with tile facing) as it'll probably cost me less to do that than buy a decent one from the store.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Some of this stuff is more expensive than a powered reclining leather sofa/loveseat combo with built in massage.  

Even "cheap" sets from Walmart run $1500-$2000.
View Quote

Suffer this summer, put away extra cash. Buy during fall clearance sales.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#40]
This place is near me.  They used to do a family only scratch and dent once a month, and my MIL was family to someone there.. we've got a few items really cheap.  Would never spend that kind of money on lawn furniture otherwise.  

Telescope furniture
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#41]
My sister responded to an ad on FB Market for a really nice patio set that consisted of a couch, loveseat, two chairs, covers for all, along with a fire pit, and all for $400. It was said to be only be a few months old and looked great in the pictures. The seller said they were downsizing. My sister responded immediately which was at 5pm and said I will put cash in your hand today. The seller said she was still at work at would call tonight but said they wanted to deliver it to her tonight because of the number of pieces and size. Now that was a red flag. My sister said that was unnecessary and that she was 40 miles away. The poster deleted the ad immediately.

Told my sister she might have been getting set up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Because it's Spring. Buy in the Fall
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Idk...

I think it has to do with quality and the outdoor abuse the furniture will endure (to include mold prevention).

I had my fair share of cheap vs. quality stuff and quality matters.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Agree, it's all like plastic and wicker now also, on "sale" for $799. Shits like $100 worth of material at best.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Rich’s?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Rich’s?

@Boomer

No Farther North, a place called Backyards in Mt Vernon. Was owned by an HVAC company I worked for.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Shipping's expensive.  Wife bought a pet enclosure well 3 actually by (her) mistake.  Sure they'll take if back if you pay shipping.  Ended up giving one away and the other is in a box in the garage until she gives that away.  More to ship than buy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Because it's a luxury item. Not everyone has a patio or can furnish it properly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Be patient and get used patio furniture for free. People give it away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I missed a deal of a lifetime on some teak furniture about three years ago. About $12K worth of stuff for nothing. A buddy of mine ended up with it and isn't using it. I've offered him $1K for it about 5 times and he claims he's going to use it eventually. I always have an eye out for good teak outdoor tables & chairs.

We have five patios, porches, or decks all with furniture. If you don't mind painting, sometimes you can find rusted old wrought iron furniture reasonably. The new shit is junk but the old stuff is really heavy and will last forever. I did this about a month ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#50]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/1000002498_jpg-3196638.JPG

With the environment and weather we have here the china metal doesn't last long and starts rust staining your deck by the end of summer. For some reason my wife keeps buying this shit. YMMV
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

Then no complaining..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_3562_png-3196436.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/1000002498_jpg-3196638.JPG

Lol.. I really have no idea, just a random listing.
My furniture sits inside a screen porch off the main deck so the elements are not much of a factor.

In these parts, a screen porch is a must due to swarms of giant skeeters at night.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top