Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 10:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lucy]
I think I’ve narrowed down my complete WiFi crash due to turning on my Samsung TV.

Resetting the WiFi works, until I turn on the TV to stream. Then it all goes haywire.

Do I need to change WiFi channels? It’s a four month old NETGEAR (junk) nighthawk. The Samsung TV is about a year old and previously had no issues.

I recently bought a robot vacuum and that’s when the issues started. I have quite a few WiFi devices in the house.

Update: had to do a factory reset on the Samsung TV and it’s fixed.

Korean garbage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Insufficient information to know for sure, but probably not.  If the router doesn’t have auto channel selection you could try, it’s not like it wold hurt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Try running a firmware update on your router and seeing if your TV has an update also.

After that you could try doing a factory reset on your router and creating a new SSID and password to see if things clear up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s repeatable multiple times. I am able to monitor in real time a live feed. As soon as I turn on the TV and try to stream something, the entire network crashes. 100% predictable
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
make sure QoS is turned off
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lucy:
It’s repeatable multiple times. I am able to monitor in real time a live feed. As soon as I turn on the TV and try to stream something, the entire network crashes. 100% predictable
View Quote

Sounds like you have the culprit identified.

I would think it’s either the TV or the router.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It's repeatable multiple times. I am able to monitor in real time a live feed. As soon as I turn on the TV and try to stream something, the entire network crashes. 100% predictable
View Quote
Bang the top of the TV.
if that doesn't work, move the antenna on the router..

if you have family members you can yell at it seems to work better
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

What do you mean by "entire network crashes"?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:53:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lucy] [#8]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

View Quote

All devices lose access to the network. Everything disconnects

Trying to reconnect I get error messages about band congestion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Samsung TV and a Nighthawk router but mine is probably a decade old. Probably not your equipment. What type of internet service do you have? When we had Cox cable in AZ it was horrible. DSL was better in our neighborhood because of the dedicated line vs cable being shared in your neighborhood. We have fiber now and it is smooth like butter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Update firmware on TV and router. Clear cache on TV (You will need to look up how to do with your tv)   Move non priority bandwidth devices like the vacuum onto the 2.4ghz band as well as other smart home type devices. Put only TV and phones on the 5ghz band.  See if that does anything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I had problems with caching after adding a new TV to the wifi. I ended up putting the TV on ethernet since it was closest to the cable box. No more troubles, but I need to replace the wifi box for something newer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
"Net work crashes?" Are you sure someone isn't pirating your bandwidth?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
"Net work crashes?" Are you sure someone isn't pirating your bandwidth?
View Quote

I’m not sure of anything. Another thing I just noticed is that any attempt to try to login to “router login.net” or using the IP address of the router causes all devices to get booted off the network. Laptop, phone, tv, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
I had problems with caching after adding a new TV to the wifi. I ended up putting the TV on ethernet since it was closest to the cable box. No more troubles, but I need to replace the wifi box for something newer.
View Quote

This is the way.  Hard wire that bitch.  Better stability and streaming experience all the way around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m not going to be able to hard wire the TV without major sheetrock work. So to recap:

Every time I try to turn on the TV all devices are booted from WiFi

Every time I try to access router settings all devices are booted from WiFi
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:33:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#16]
I’m not going to be able to hard wire the TV without major sheetrock work. So to recap:

View Quote

Get rid of the Netgear pos. I had one when I ditched the shitty cable modem, it was a fucking piece of crap. Get a Motorola.  

Major sheet rock work? You have a two story? Just cut a square in the sheet rock, go up in the attic and drill a hole in the framing 2x4 and drop the cat6.

Note: Do some research on your tv, it’s ethernet port may be capped at 100, you may need to buy the correct USB to ethernet adapter (correct chip) and get the full juice. Sony TVs are like that. I would get 80-100, now I get 860-900. People will say you don’t need over 100, bullshit, it is noticeable. Wifi landed me around 400.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Hardwire the TV to some cat 5 cable.
Problem solved, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like an IP address collision with the gateway/router.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Really want to see a picture of that error message
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:14:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#20]
Sounds like your router might need some tweaking/updating, maybe even a powercycle(unplug it from power for 15-30sec, hold any power buttons down for that time if it has one, then plug it back in and let it boot up)

Ive been having issues with other near by homes on same channel, or close enough.

Once I switch to an open spot manually on the channel list, gone.  This is mainly on one 2.4ghz device.

I use an app on my phone called wifi analyzer.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:05:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#21]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I’ve narrowed down my complete WiFi crash due to turning on my Samsung TV.

Resetting the WiFi works, until I turn on the TV to stream. Then it all goes haywire.

Do I need to change WiFi channels? It’s a four month old NETGEAR (junk) nighthawk. The Samsung TV is about a year old and previously had no issues.

I recently bought a robot vacuum and that’s when the issues started. I have quite a few WiFi devices in the house.
View Quote

Sounds like the vacuum is sucking up all the internets.
You say it was working before the vacuum so that might be a clue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

Are there other routers on overlapping bands? This should always be your first thing to check.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Put the TV on its own 5GHz AP if you won't hardwire.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Sounds like an IP address collision with the gateway/router.
View Quote

That's my initial thought. I doubt it's this though since it should require the OP to manually set a static IP address. DHCP should be default.

If the OP wants to check this they should find the IP address assigned to the TV. Turn the TV off and reboot the router. Check each device connected to the network to find the IP of each. If any other device has the same IP as the TV then that's probably the one causing the issue. Either that device or the TV will need a different IP address.

Also check the TV settings and see if DHCP/Automatic is turned on in the network settings (it should be on). Since the problem always occurs when the TV is booted it could be a static IP set there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

Get rid of the Netgear pos. I had one when I ditched the shitty cable modem, it was a fucking piece of crap. Get a Motorola.  

Major sheet rock work? You have a two story? Just cut a square in the sheet rock, go up in the attic and drill a hole in the framing 2x4 and drop the cat6.

Note: Do some research on your tv, it's ethernet port may be capped at 100, you may need to buy the correct USB to ethernet adapter (correct chip) and get the full juice. Sony TVs are like that. I would get 80-100, now I get 860-900. People will say you don't need over 100, bullshit, it is noticeable. Wifi landed me around 400.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pallas:
I'm not going to be able to hard wire the TV without major sheetrock work. So to recap:

Note: Do some research on your tv, it's ethernet port may be capped at 100, you may need to buy the correct USB to ethernet adapter (correct chip) and get the full juice. Sony TVs are like that. I would get 80-100, now I get 860-900. People will say you don't need over 100, bullshit, it is noticeable. Wifi landed me around 400.
8K streaming from most of the major platforms only uses between 20-30Mbps.

Make sure you pay for the Ethernet cables with Nitrogen in them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HillaryClinton:

That's my initial thought. I doubt it's this though since it should require the OP to manually set a static IP address. DHCP should be default.
View Quote

Agreed, but what else could take a whole network offline at once?  No RF device is going to do that unless it's a household-sized EMP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top