Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 12:34:03 AM EDT
Moving from ER to a full time fire/ems position and looking at quick on/off boots.
Currently wearing Belleville 11.5W mini-mils, but have to use 72" laces and wrap around the boot top 3x and then tie, which takes waaaaaay too long for the donning/doffing drills I'm looking at, so . . .
I'm looking at options for something similar for EMS side/non-fire runs, but that can be quick on/off.
I've thought of trying to find someone (cobbler? Tailor?) Who could add a zipper to my current boots, but not sure where to even start with that.

Thanks for any advice/direction.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I realize that the NFPA is just best practices and not a requirement but the Mini Mils don’t even come close to being a fire/ems boot.  Dont try and reinvent the wheel, get footwear made for the job you are going to be doing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it Fire or EMS?

I used Chippewa with zippers for years on the ems side, but they're not turnout gear.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I used the Rocky side zips. Worked well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Haix. Look at the dual certification boots. Zippers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
I realize that the NFPA is just best practices and not a requirement but the Mini Mils don’t even come close to being a fire/ems boot.  Dont try and reinvent the wheel, get footwear made for the job you are going to be doing.
View Quote

These are just for EMS calls/station wear. We have separate turn out gear.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really happy with Merrill Moab II side zips.  Just bought another pair.  I have wide feet and the 10W give me plenty of room.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
We just got the Haix Black Eagle Tactical 2.0 GTX Mid Side Zip from our Foreign Fire Tax board. So far they’re comfortable, and not super hot. Easy to get off for a fire run.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
We recently issued Haix to everyone. Their choice of an 8” boot, 6” boot, or the athletic shoe. After having worn boots for the last 15 years I decided to go with the shoes this time. I’m hoping they break in as they’re a little tight even for having gotten a wide size, but they seem very well constructed, are durable, and hold up well.

They don’t have laces, just quick adjust elastic ones but they are very easy to slip on and off in a hurry. Overall I’m happy with going with them over a boot, if you don’t have wide feet I bet they’d be great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to wear the Redback station boots but the supply dried up around here for a while so I started wearing the Blundstone 990s. They are expensive but break in well and are easy on/off.

Blundstone 990
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#10]
Originally Posted By divkat9:
I used to wear the Redback station boots but the supply dried up around here for a while so I started wearing the Blundstone 990s. They are expensive but break in well and are easy on/off.

https://www.blundstone.com/media/catalog/product/9/9/990_1_p.jpg?optimize=low&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=&canvas=:

Blundstone 990
View Quote

I quit wearing my Redback station boots because the toe box was very narrow despite being a wide.  I’ll have to look into this ones…and you are right about the supply.  Redback are made in AU and it took over a year for Galls to get them back in stock after that country went off the rail about no import/export during Covid.

ETA:  I now see that Blundstone is also made in Australia.  What is it with them having the monopoly on fire boots!?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]

I quit wearing my Redback station boots because the toe box was very narrow despite being a wide.  I’ll have to look into this ones…and you are right about the supply.  Redback are made in AU and it took over a year for Galls to get them back in stock after that country went off the rail about no import/export during Covid.

ETA:  I now see that Blundstone is also made in Australia.  What is it with them having the monopoly on fire boots!?
View Quote

Not about the Australians and the boot market. lol
Our vendor offers several slip on style boots from various brands and most of them suck except those two. I didn't have any fitment issues with the redbacks that I can recall.
I also wore a pair of Ariat station boots briefly but the quality just wasn't there. Some of the guys here really like them though. Likely because they can get them without paying any extra out of pocket (we get a roughly $150 allowance annually for boots).
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kubota3430] [#12]

View Quote

I had/have the Blundstone slip on's still for the shop and outdoor work at home, retirement is AWESOME!!!!

Blunstone are very comfortable. Standard ones made in Vietnam though.

Mine are the standard no safety toe version, for pure comfort, no one noticed and I never broke any toes. But I had these on the good side or town going into $750,000-$5,000,000 homes.  On the ghetto side of town, with the drug addicts, prostitutes, gang bangers, I wore Danner station boots steel toe and shank, front zipper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top