Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2024 7:14:05 PM EDT
Today was the first time I used one.  While I hate the insufficient of markings to set the blade with and you have to do trial cuts and measure that to ensure the blade is adjusted, it does make a smoother cut.   I like that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Damned things undercut the sides of the slot and you can not shim them for a perfect width of cut.  Keep them sharp and the conventional dado set will cut smooth.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:59:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#2]
My dad has one and it sucks for the reason mentioned. You have to make tons of cuts to check and adjust. Then you have to redo that procedure everytime you change size.

A regular dado with the 2 blades, chippers, and shims cuts exact everytime.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
get a real dado set. buy once cry once!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
get a real dado set. buy once cry once!
View Quote

I have an old fashion dado set that takes shims.  I'm not replacing it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one of these. I remembered using a dado blade in high school many years ago, and thought of how handy it would be to have one. Well I have never even taken it out of the package yet. One of these days I will decide to start the project that I bought it for. LOL

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:40:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#6]
Give you $20 for that unused set and I'll pay postage.

Eye keeeed.  Use it!   I now understand how the Japanese swordsmiths felt when they made a sword.  They felt that part of their "soul" or "energy" went into the blade.

Presently building a 66" long bookcase which will have back to back shelves.  This gives me the equivalent of eight shelves.  For a while no more books falling out whenever I open a bookcase door.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riter:
Give you $20 for that unused set and I'll pay postage.

Eye keeeed.  Use it!   I now understand how the Japanese swordsmiths felt when they made a sword.  They felt that part of their "soul" or "energy" went into the blade.

Presently building a 66" long bookcase which will have back to back shelves.  This gives me the equivalent of eight shelves.  For a while no more books falling out whenever I open a bookcase door.
View Quote

That would be one hell of a bargain. I bought it to make a guitar cabinet for my son-in-law.  His dad passed away a few years ago and he left him a bunch  of band equipment. Most of it was old road warn crap from years of touring, but there was one special Fender Strat in there that means a great deal to him. I am going to build  some sort of show case like a curio cabinet that can display 2 guitars, because he is also on the waiting list for a Lucky Dog custom build that will also be a tribute to his dad. I think he said there is around a 7 year waiting list and he has been on the list for 4 or 5 years now so I still have time to plan. LOL
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Had an accident running a piece of oak on a dado blade. Hyper-extended my thumb when the oak caught the blade and shot the piece back into my guts. I'm lucky that was the worst of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#9]
The wobble dados leave a slightly curved bottom. It's close, but not perfectly flat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top