Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2024 2:20:11 AM EDT
https://www.cyclenews.com/2024/02/article/yamahas-yzfr1-wont-be-homologated-from-2025/
After speaking to Cycle News, a spokesperson for Yamaha stated, “The decision to not homologate the YZF-R1 to EU5+ emissions is specific to the European market.
The currently EU5-compliant YZF-R1 will remain a street-legal model in the U.S. market for the 2025 model year.”
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Let the peasants ride scooters!

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
As a guy who currently has three R1s in the garage, that’s a huge bummer.

Not surprising, as the current gen is almost a decade old and they haven’t done shit with it. Still, bummer.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Sportbike market seems to be dying. Flagship teched out liter bikes are cool but more niche segment. The mfgers dropping the 600 class from their product lines was the writing on the wall, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:37:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#4]
Delete
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
Sportbike market seems to be dying. Flagship teched out liter bikes are cool but more niche segment. The mfgers dropping the 600 class from their product lines was the writing on the wall, IMO.
View Quote

The prices have put a damper on things.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Bummer.

Id still be riding sport bikes if my friends wouldnt have quit.  No one to ride with, plus closest track is 3+hrs just kinda said fuck it.

25+yrs and i got out.  

I miss my Ducati's tho...
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

The sportbike market is alive and well, it's just not in the in-line 4 world anymore.
I hoped and prayed that Kawasaki would come out with a 40th Anniversary ZX750RR in addition to the 400, 600 and 1000 they have this year.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By _DR:
The prices have put a damper on things.
View Quote

Not really.
Kawasaki still has non-ABS versions of the 23 ZX10R you can get for a little over $15K.
All things being equal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By fttam:
As a guy who currently has three R1s in the garage, that’s a huge bummer.
Not surprising, as the current gen is almost a decade old and they haven’t done shit with it. Still, bummer.
View Quote

Hang on to those bikes!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
It'll be gone here too soon enough. I doubt American sales will be able to warrant them to continue manufacturing them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate to see these bikes go away. I definitely don't see as many on the roads as I did in say the early to mid 2000s. I'm not sure if that's because of prices or if people just lost interest. I got out of it in 2010, but there are times I miss riding. I have considered one of the new 400cc twins, but my last bike was a zx10r and I don't know if I can step backwards that far.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#12]
I saw the article and it made me sad even though I'm not a rider . I love the sound of those machines . I had a similar response to vw killing off the inline-5 , its VR engine , GM and its 3700 vortec . I did find recently that you can put uneven length headers on a flatplane four cylinder and get a nice rumble , however . ..or even true duals with cylinders 1-2 , 3-4 . Not as efficient obviously but that can fixed with some forced induction.

True Dual Exhaust on a 4 Cylinder - What Will it Sound Like?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
The sportbike started dying a decade or more ago.  Late 90s to mid 2k's was it's heyday (as someone who was there).  Mid 20-teens the ADV bike started to pick up steam, and it's been the juggernaut for the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#14]
We are certainly approaching the end of an era.  Props to Kawasaki for keeping the ~600 alive and bringing back the 400.  Having grown up in the 90s, the scream of an inline 4 will always be the sound I associate with a street bike.  Everything else just sounds like a lawnmower to me
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Why are you guys acting like they said the R1 is going away altogether?

This is just more typical EU emissions garbage. Manufacturers have been pulling road-legal models out of the EU for years now rather than meet the ever-increasing restrictions. When the time comes for a major platform update, they may or may not elect to spend the time and money to get it EU legal again, depending on if they deem it worth the added time and cost. Absent a major update, it doesn't make sense to invest the time and money in redesigns solely to satisfy the EU market. Easier to pull out and focus on the rest of the world where the model can still be sold without additional R&D.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Walkure:
Why are you guys acting like they said the R1 is going away altogether?

This is just more typical EU emissions garbage. Manufacturers have been pulling road-legal models out of the EU for years now rather than meet the ever-increasing restrictions. When the time comes for a major platform update, they may or may not elect to spend the time and money to get it EU legal again, depending on if they deem it worth the added time and cost. Absent a major update, it doesn't make sense to invest the time and money in redesigns solely to satisfy the EU market. Easier to pull out and focus on the rest of the world where the model can still be sold without additional R&D.
View Quote

Any bike sold in Europe must meet Euro 5

BMW, KTM, Ducati, Aprilia all meet Euro 5 and their sport bikes kick ass.

Yamaha is ginormous and should have the R&D to update the R1 if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fttam:

Yamaha is ginormous and should have the R&D to update the R1 if they wanted to.
View Quote
That's just it.  The market apparently isn't there to support the investment.  Most I4 supersport bikes have been BNG only for years now.  I remember when you got a new version every 3 years or so.  Now they're nearly all 10 year old designs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:

Kawasaki came out with the ZX4RR last year which meets Euro5 and makes just under 80 hp from a 400cc I4.
View Quote

Good looking bike too.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:

Kawasaki came out with the ZX4RR last year which meets Euro5 and makes just under 80 hp from a 400cc I4.
View Quote

I believe you have to flash it to get the 80hp. It ships with 40ish some hp to meet A2 licensing in Europe.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:15:57 AM EDT
[#22]
https://www.advrider.com/sign-of-the-times-yamaha-r1-moves-to-track-only-model-in-europe/
For some time now, rumor said that Yamaha would cancel the R1 superbike.
Turns out that isn’t exactly the case; instead, it will be following the same pattern as the R6—in the future, it will only be sold in the EU as a track model. No street-legal superbike sales for the French/German/Dutch/etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top