Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2023 11:15:48 PM EDT
Come in and share your model,  mods, tips, recipes, and everything else to help everyone produce amazing BBQ.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
YS640S picked up directly from ATBBQ in Wichita May of last year.

Coming from a GMG, the Yoder is a tank.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned my YS640 comp for a year now and it has been fantastic. I have tried several different flavors of pellets from several manufacturers such as:
Lumber Jack
Bear Mtn
Cooking Pellets
Knotty Wood.

My personal favorite so far is Lumberjack (fruitwood) with Knotty Wood (plum) as a close second. I believe Bear Mountain produces the best smoke but my temp swings are greater while burning their pellets.

What are you guys burning?
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I've only ran the BBQrs Delight thru mine, usually only see +/-5* temp swings with them from set temp after 30 mins. Was really surprised how well it held 250* in 17* weather a few weeks back, and didn't chew thru the pellets like the GMG would in cold weather. Auger only ran 2% faster to hold temp in 17* weather compared to a similar cook in the summer according to the app.

Have gone thru a mix of hickory and the contest mix around 20 bags and have all been consistent.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to try some BBQ Delight on my next order.

My first tip for every one has to do with smoke production. Since these pellet smokers run so clean at temp they dont produce much smoke. I have started to run at 180 -190° for the first few hours of a cook as it really seems to produce that thin blue smoke more consistently, then bump the temp up to finish. Try it and let me know how yours does.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend has a YS640, sort of my guinea pig.  He has had issues with the software control.  Tech support says it needs to be connected to wifi to download updates to correct issues.  

It is a pricey piece to be having software issues.

It has made me change my plan to buy a Yoder and keep my dumb pellet grill.  It is so stupid that it just works.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By helotech:
I'm going to try some BBQ Delight on my next order.

My first tip for every one has to do with smoke production. Since these pellet smokers run so clean at temp they dont produce much smoke. I have started to run at 180 -190° for the first few hours of a cook as it really seems to produce that thin blue smoke more consistently, then bump the temp up to finish. Try it and let me know how yours does.
View Quote
Consider a Big Kahuna cold smoke generator.  In the heat of AZ summer, a pellet grill of any type simply doesn't make much smoke to maintain a temperature.  A powered smoke generator adds continuous smoke for hours.  These are simple to install, just drill one hole and plug it in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
When I got mine it had the old style controller in it and it had issues too. Yoder customer service was on top of it and sent me the newest Fireboard controller overnight, I was up and running by noon the next day. I was disappointed with having trouble with the controller also, but the new controller/app is titties, love it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Plan on getting one this year. I see them in a few areas in KC when I travel there and a Scheels has them local to me now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Heck yea, do it!! I only have one dealer in my area, luckily they're great. He didn't charge me for the diffuser plate or the grease shield accessories because I purchased the floor model that they were displaying them on. Saved me $250.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a YS640 from ATBBQ in Wichita in the fall of 2016. Love it, no complaints.

I also frequent amazingribs.com for recipes and tips. Anyone have any awesome websites they'd like to share?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:16:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I like ATBBQ, he makes good stuff. Killer hogs  and meat church do good stuff also.Most of the time, I float around ytoob and see what people are doing.

I tried something different this past weekend. I tried jerk seasoning on a butt, it was really good. I usually use Walkers wet marinade but found a dry rub by Dizzy Pig that is super good. Never had it on pork, I usually just do jerk chicken, was tasty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]
PSA:

If you run out of pellets and your fire goes out  during a cook/warm up, there is a setting in the menu to reignite after adding pelets. It will not reignite by doing a power cycle.

No, I did not read the manual, I'm a man.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had my YS640 for a month or so, and have done 4 or 5 cooks, ribs, shoulder, bacon, burgers, etc.  

When i'm finished I clean up a bit, but don't tear it down and clean the entire inside.  How often do the rest of you do a thorough cleaning? once a year?  I mean break out the degreaser, and scrub the defusser, grates, inside, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 1:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: helotech] [#14]
I've had mine for more than a year now and have never done a deep clean. I only vac the ash out and scrape the defuser and grease chute down with a putty knife. I would think degreaser would remove the grills "seasoning" and add chemicals where I don't want them.

Every few cooks I will run it at around 550* for an hour just to burn off any crustys, then wire brush the grates and hit them with a spray of Pam while theyre still hot
. That's about it.

I only smoke on mine, I don't cook over the fire box, so there isn't any grease in that area. I use my egg if I want steaks or burgers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#15]
I have had it a few weeks now.  Already done ribs, brisket, wings, whole chicken.  Still need some cheap butts. YS640 with no extras.  It came with pretty heavy stainless lower racks and a framed expanded metal upper shelf.  I put the HD Costco Reynolds aluminum foil over the ramped heat deflector and change it out when I vacuum the firebox.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:42:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Sweet, welcome to the club!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 640comp and have stuck to using smokering pellets since my chinateq days.The 2 complimentary bags yoder gave me turned to 4 since one was open upon reciept and they werent bad,but hard to beat red oak when your from
Californistan and used to central coast bbq flavor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top