Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2020 10:48:33 AM EDT
From a single movie it spawned enough episodes, spins offs, TV movies, etc. to outclass most franchises in terms of total hours.

I remember the original movie well, had some idea the series was on and saw a handful of episodes when it was out.  I have started watching an episode most nights before going to sleep for months.  Thrown off by it swapping off from prime.

There was way more availability of seasons, spin offs, etc. than I ever realized.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw an interview with Richard Dean Anderson many years ago addressing the scale and breadt of the stargate universe, and he put it succinctly when asked about it:

"We have the world's greatest prop!" while waving his hand at the Stargate.

It pretty much lets them write anything they want to, as long as they wrap it in SG window dressing to get there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 1:14:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#4]
I'm wondering how I can fit my Stargate into my basement. I have a high water table, and the "basement" is at best a half basement they dug leaving only enough height for the mechanicals.
I could set it up in the gun shed, but its still just a shed, with all of the associated space limitations.
Maybe its time to buy one of those abandoned missile silos to set it up in.
And as cheap as microwaves are, I don't want to cannibalize mine to make the Stargate work. I'm cheap that way.

They don't have the budget.
They had to sequentially cancel one Stargate series to be able to afford making episodes for the series that came after
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember one episode where O'Neil comes out of the Stargate and opines "Do a lot of these places seem like... Canada to you?"
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
I'm wondering how I can fit my Stargate into my basement. I have a high water table, and the "basement" is at best a half basement they dug leaving only enough height for the mechanicals.
I could set it up in the gun shed, but its still just a shed, with all of the associated space limitations.
Maybe its time to buy one of those abandoned missile silos to set it up in.
And as cheap as microwaves are, I don't want to cannibalize mine to make the Stargate work. I'm cheap that way.

They don't have the budget.
They had to sequentially cancel one Stargate series to be able to afford making episodes for the series that came after
View Quote

Good luck on sourcing enough super conductive Naquida to build your gate from.  Although, I do recall an episode where a no longer ascended being ran up Carter's credit cards to build a single use stargate big enough for one person.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kpoesq369:
I remember one episode where O'Neil comes out of the Stargate and opines "Do a lot of these places seem like... Canada to you?"
View Quote

There was another scifi show, I think it was Andromeda where they explained why everywhere looks like Vancouver because pine trees and ferns from the Pacific Northwest are key ingredients in terra forming other worlds.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the MacGyver reference in the first episode. I've never watched the whole show or any of Atlantis, but I would always watch it when I caught it during the original run.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Back when It was on TV I was only able to see a few episodes of SG-1. I finally watched all three series in a row last year. I really enjoyed the experience. I wish Atlantis and Universe had a few more seasons. I think Universe could have been really interesting if it was to run for 5 seasons like Atlantis. I did like that for a campy show, they did a decent job with weapons. They didnt really use tactics though. I was wondering why on the early episodes they killed a death glider with a Stinger, then used AT-4s afterwards. An AT-4 would super suck against aerial moving targets.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I read the book before the movie came out and immediately fell in love
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
I love the Stargate universe. I wish each series had more time.

I read somewhere SG1 was supposed to have another season where they public and Atlantis was supposed to go back to the Pegasus Galaxy.
View Quote

Not a season but made for DVD movies.
But that was when MGM went bankrupt and the DVD market went into the crapper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By M1Lou:
I was wondering why on the early episodes they killed a death glider with a Stinger, then used AT-4s afterwards. An AT-4 would super suck against aerial moving targets.
View Quote

During the siege of  Abydos, Teal’c uses a Redeye.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:25:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PewPewPew1212] [#13]
I liked it.  SG1 was great, Atlantis was refreshing to see new characters in a new setting, but Universe left me wanting more.  SGU gave us just enough to get through learning the new characters and dynamics and then they killed it right as it was getting really good.

I dug how they tied in the theories of ancient Egypt and their gods, theories on pyramids, human origins, ancient civilizations and weapon at sour pole, Atlantis, etc.  they had just enough science involved to make it worth the cheese. Great balance for an enjoyable yet still interesting show.

I’ve seen every episode at least once.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#14]
There were several things I liked about SG-Universe, however I think it ruined any chances of bringing in a remake of Blake's 7.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I have seen a lot of the star gate tv series. But not in order. I liked it. I have been watching Star Trek the next gen. On Pluto tv for free.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Beenthere:
I have seen a lot of the star gate tv series. But not in order. I liked it. I have been watching Star Trek the next gen. On Pluto tv for free.
View Quote

CBS's premium service has a free month offer going on now.  Good time to catch season one of Picard, Dicovery and Lower Decks.  I haven't seen much of Discovery.  Looks like they went too far off the feel of the deries with regards to pre-TOS technology.  lower Decks is an animated comedy series that has the feel of TNG era show except it's from the secondary or tertiary crews' point of view.  Lots of easter eggs and references to other Trek series.

Picard is worth watching for sure.  It also ties in the death of the Romulan sun that was spoke of in the new Kelvin universe Trek movies.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

CBS's premium service has a free month offer going on now.  Good time to catch season one of Picard, Dicovery and Lower Decks.  I haven't seen much of Discovery.  Looks like they went too far off the feel of the deries with regards to pre-TOS technology.  lower Decks is an animated comedy series that has the feel of TNG era show except it's from the secondary or tertiary crews' point of view.  Lots of easter eggs and references to other Trek series.

Picard is worth watching for sure.  It also ties in the death of the Romulan sun that was spoke of in the new Kelvin universe Trek movies.
View Quote

Don't waste your time unless your into homos, social justice and the putdown of white males.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#18]
As far as documentaries go, it's a solid 8.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I think there is so much they can do in that universe.  It is the most open in Sci-fi.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:00:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#20]
Loved it, have all of it on DVD except the original movie and that last miniseries they had a couple years ago, Origins or whatever it was.

SG1 is excellent, but I actually think it went on a little too long. I wasn't that into the whole Ori storyline.

SGA, it was good but got kind of repetitive and uninteresting to me after the first couple seasons. It's the only Stargate that I've never re-watched.

SGU, despite only having two seasons is my favorite. Darker, grittier, the characters are much more realistic. Really cool premise in general, and I liked the survival aspect of it. I consider the cancellation of SGU to be nearly as serious of a TV crime as the cancellation of Firefly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Currently on the long haul watching all of SG1 for the first time, but I'm into it for sure. Looks like its spinning up again with something new soon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#22]
We recently binge watched SG1 on Comet, and because Atlantis currently isn't streaming anywhere, we bought it on Blue Ray.

The Vala Mal Doran character is the only reason SG1 made it one last season, and I think if they could have somehow got that character into Atlantis, it may have gone a season or two longer.   Mal Doran and Todd would have been fun.

I've seen Universe, and it's OK.

We're going to start watching Sanctuary soon, to see what it's all about.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AZCOP:
We recently binge watched SG1 on Comet, and because Atlantis currently isn't streaming anywhere, we bought it on Blue Ray.

The Vala Mal Doran character is the only reason SG1 made it one last season, and I think if they could have somehow got that character into Atlantis, it may have gone a season or two longer.   Mal Doran and Todd would have been fun.

I've seen Universe, and it's OK.

We're going to start watching Sanctuary soon, to see what it's all about.

Jay
View Quote

They killed Atlantis to dump the money from that show into SGU production, not because of a lack of viewership
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I really liked the original movie. I wish they had made a sequel with the same cast.
Never really got into the TV series.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Like Stargate Atlantis the most.. And mostly because of Rodney McKay.. SG1 and Atlantis never would have gotten that far in real life though, seems like every time there was an issue those idiots would bring it back through the gate as soon as they could.. putting earth in jeopardy more than once for no reason..
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:23:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#27]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
I really liked the original movie. I wish they had made a sequel with the same cast.
Never really got into the TV series.
View Quote

I felt the same way, and just started watching the TV series last year.  Give it a shot, it grows on you.  It's more campy than the movie - but good enough to be worth the watch.  It helps that you can watch it streaming in order on-demand now.  The number of episodes and content is mind-blowing'  - I'm not aware of any other series this extensive with this many episodes and spin-offs, ever.  I converted my .22 to a P90/22 because of this show (and love it, total blast).  I'm watching SGUniverse now, and while many people spoke ill of it, I find it in some ways the most captivating and best executed of them all - though can appreciate it's maybe not for everybody.  Apparently they clipped early, but I haven' tgot that far yet.  They always kill the good ones (says this FireFly fan - who's still pissed at FOX over that)
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I never watched any of the series but the movie had a profound impact on me as a kid.

I loved the military angle of the movie but i also loved the idea of getting to know the locals and integrate them into the fight, and then ultimately i found it a fascinating idea to marry a beautiful local girl and settle down abroad in a foreign culture.

I told my best friend at the time that when i grew up i was going to marry some exotic foreign girl and live abroad and never come back to our boring town.

I joined the army specifically to  join the special forces as an 18x probably due in large part to the idea of sitting around in the desert, camping with local freedom fighters and then going into battle with them like i saw in the movie when i was a kid.

Buuut got injured during selection and that whole dream fell apart. I ended up in Iraq and Afghanistan eventually anyway, and loved every minute.

Then i married a beautiful exotic girl i met in Morocco and now we bounce back and forth between Morocco and Madagascar, where i work in the spice trade speaking foreign languages and my current war is against corruption in my company.

I never saw or read Dune as a kid, but it probably would have had a similar effect on me if the recent Dune movie had been released 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:37:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FireSteel] [#29]
Indeed

Stargate SG-1 - Season 6 - Descent - Alien conspiracy
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I felt the same way, and just started watching the TV series last year.  Give it a shot, it grows on you.  It's more campy than the movie - but good enough to be worth the watch.  It helps that you can watch it streaming in order on-demand now.  The number of episodes and content is mind-blowing'  - I'm not aware of any other series this extensive with this many episodes and spin-offs, ever.  I converted my .22 to a P90/22 because of this show (and love it, total blast).  I'm watching SGUniverse now, and while many people spoke ill of it, I find it in some ways the most captivating and best executed of them all - though can appreciate it's maybe not for everybody.  Apparently they clipped early, but I haven' tgot that far yet.  They always kill the good ones (says this FireFly fan - who's still pissed at FOX over that)
View Quote

I like Stargate Universe the best by far. I loved SG1, except for the last couple seasons, but I don't think it aged very well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#31]
The movie was good, but the different series that followed had an enormously different feel from it.

I enjoyed SG1.  It was a scifi series unlike most others out there at the time.  It had its serious moments and some mature writing in there, but it didn't take its self too seriously and had some really good comedy (my favorite to date is the Oneill/Tealc 'groudhogs day' episode).

I also enjoyed SGA.  It felt a little less 'story of the week' and a little more like a continuous storyline.  It felt enough different from SG1 to stand on it's own legs, but still kept a similar ratio of action/comedy/story.

I couldn't get into SGU.  I never felt like I liked any of the characters and after a few episodes I gave up on it.  it just wasn't for me.

One thing that I really liked about the different SG series is that they felt a bit more grounded and a little more realistic than many other scifi at the time.  No unrealistic high ideals or "We will win by the power of our righteousness".  It was more...
-"We go out to explore."
-"Oh shit, we are out of our league."
-"We now go out to steal everyones tech to fight all the bad shit that now knows we exist."
-Earthlings become the universes loot goblins.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I loved the movie and SG1. I watched the series when it was on TV and rewatched it on Amazon Prime twice. I can always go back and rewatch it anytime and love it each time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PA452:
https://i.imgur.com/evfPfIb.jpg
View Quote

That is AWESOME!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I just got into SG1 about a month ago and have watched nothing but since then on Prime.  Finally finished watching SG1 and am now on the first season of SGA.  I really enjoyed Wormhole Xtreme,  err I mean Stargate SG1.  I really liked Vala Mal Doran despite her not being very popular.  The Ori kinda sucked but after defeating the Goa'uld  I can see they needed a new enemy to deal with.

SGA so far is also enjoyable but a bit annoying how the main guy is so wishy washy.  Just saw the episode where they pissed off the Genii.  Never was a fan of Chief O'Brian.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Now that I am half way into season 2 of SGU, I'm so glad I watched it all in original correct order.  SG1 and SGA were good, but very Campy.  Which was fine.  But SGU is where Stagate as a franchise takes the next step and grows up.  It's quite excellent, and would have ruined the other ones if watched first.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Now that I am half way into season 2 of SGU, I'm so glad I watched it all in original correct order.  SG1 and SGA were good, but very Campy.  Which was fine.  But SGU is where Stagate as a franchise takes the next step and grows up.  It's quite excellent, and would have ruined the other ones if watched first.
View Quote

Absolutely. I loved SG1 except for the last couple seasons. Still enjoy it, but it comes off real campy after having seen SGU.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top