Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2024 5:02:25 PM EDT

I have been looking into Zoroastrianism,  it is very old apparently.  It seems like a very nice and peaceful religion.    

Much of Zoroastrianism appeals to me, I really like this ....Zoroastrian theology includes foremost the importance of following the Threefold Path of Asha revolving around Good Thoughts, Good Words, and Good Deeds.[28] There is also a heavy emphasis on spreading happiness, mostly through charity,[29] and respecting the spiritual equality and duty of both men and women.[30] Zoroastrianism's emphasis on the protection and veneration of nature and its elements has led some to proclaim it as the "world's first proponent of ecology."[31] The Avesta and other texts call for the protection of water, earth, fire, and air making it, in effect, an ecological religion: "It is not surprising that Mazdaism…is called the first ecological religion. The reverence for Yazatas (divine spirits) emphasizes the preservation of nature

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism#:~:text=Zoroastrian%20theology%20includes%20foremost%20the,of%20both%20men%20and%20women.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:39:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#1]
I've read a fair amount about Zoroastrianism since I was a kid.

My search in comparative religions was always precipitated on truth, first and foremost. I never sought out a "nice and peaceful religion".

But I'll do me, and you do you.    

Why not research it for yourself and make a decision. Find a Zoroastrian community if possible. It's a small religion and there may not be any practitioners here. Do your homework and decide.

And that's all I will comment.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Might as well go back and look at Mazdaiam.

https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5033&context=ocj

It all hinges on logos.  I believe, however, that if one ignores divine inspiration by an actual God and looks at religion as the explanation of a process and guidelines for living in reality, that the development of Christianity, the Trinity, the holy spirit, etc., represents the best explanation of things.

Back to Mazdaism.  

Most people don't know that the Japanese car company, Mazda, was named after Mazda.

Made by a company that was then managed by a man named Matsuda, the name “Mazda-go” sounds fitting enough. The question is, how come it was spelt “Mazda” instead of “Matsuda”? “Mazda” comes from Ahura Mazda, the god of harmony, intelligence and wisdom from the earliest civilization in West Asia. Key members of Toyo Kogyo interpreted Mazda as a symbol of the beginning of the East and the West civilization, but also a symbol of the automotive civilization and culture. Striving to make a contribution to the world peace and to be a light in the automotive industry, Toyo Kogyo was renamed Mazda Motor Corporation.

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/mazda-stories/mazda/behind/

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It is hard to spell?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:16:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#4]
If you are searching for something greater than you, I would start by looking locally. In other words, visit churches, temples, powwows, sweat lodges, etc in order to get a better feel for each faith by directly talking to those people in their respective faiths.

Stay away from asking questions such as: "what makes your God better than the others".

Don't be confrontational.

Here's a breakdown of faiths practiced in Saskatchewan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
What's not to like about Zoroastrianism? As you already stated, it's about 'Good thoughts, good words and goods deeds'.
There's nothing about it that leads to how you will spend the afterlife so it's not a religion, it's just a good philosophy

If you want to spend eternity in heaven with God, there's only one way and that way is Jesus Christ.
A follower of Christ should have good thoughts, good words and goods deeds. It never works out like that in real life.
We need a Redeemer, someone to reconcile us with God the Father. Someone who paid for all of our sins
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ParityError:
It is hard to spell?
View Quote

even harder to pronounce.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Christians hate to admit that in many ways it was the basis for modern Judaism and Christianity.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#9]
It's gaining a bit of resurgence in parts of central Asia, but I've never met any. It seems to be a bit like the Wicca thing, to me, where modern people are trying to revive their understanding of lost beliefs and traditions. But, some claim it's been continuously practiced in secret since the Islamic conquests. I'm nit so sure about the latter, as it's not like the pre-Islamic Christian communities disappeared. It was the Persian state religion, and seems to have died out like Roman paganism - when the authorities stopped making it a "thing" and made another thing the "thing." I wouldn't be surprised if some Shia specific practices aren't connected somehow, though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By November5:
Christians hate to admit that in many ways it was the basis for modern Judaism and Christianity.
View Quote

The Old Testament is about the fall of man, the New Testament is about the redemption of man
There is no Zoroastrianism(principles) in either, strange you would make bizarre statement. It makes no sense

One poster did state correctly about the 3 wise men being Zoroastrians. Why did they show up and why did they bring gifts?
Why was there no mention of them before? And then they left never to be heard from again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By EliCustom:
The Old Testament is about the fall of man, the New Testament is about the redemption of man
There is no Zoroastrianism(principles) in either, strange you would make bizarre statement. It makes no sense

One poster did state correctly about the 3 wise men being Zoroastrians. Why did they show up and why did they bring gifts?
Why was there no mention of them before? And then they left never to be heard from again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EliCustom:

Judaism was clearly monolatric and didn't change to monotheistic until their run in with Zoroastrianism.  There's also a bunch of concepts in both Judaism and Christianity that very likely originated in Zoroastrianism including messianism.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Give me that old time religion
It's good enough for me

We will pray with Zarathustra
We'll pray just like we use ta
I'm a Zarathustra booster
And it's good enough for me

Hey OP, check out the Yazidis. That Peacock God is a sexy son of a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:35:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FennRx] [#13]
Judaism was clearly monolatric and didn't change to monotheistic until their run in with Zoroastrianism.  There's also a bunch of concepts in both Judaism and Christianity that very likely originated in Zoroastrianism including messianism.  
View Quote

Lol

Zoroaster is from what? 600 BC?  The Kingdom of Judah was destroyed in 586.  The messiah was predicted long before any “run ins” with zoroasterism.  Never mind that God promised the redemptive work of Christ to Adam immediately following the fall of man in genesis 3. The Hebrews not being monotheistic until later (often “dated” to the reign of Josiah in Judah) is modern nonsense.  Can’t wait for the “God WaS mArRiEd tO AsHeRah” check out muh pillar!

Do you believe Christmas is saturnalia, too?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

God exist in 3 persons, the early Jews didn't understand the concept or, maybe, the early Jews did and later Jews didn't. Elohim is plural in Hebrew and is in the first line in Genesis
There was never any changing due to any run-ins with anything.
Christianity is the fulfilment of the Old Testament, its roots are clearly the Old Testament and not Zoroastrianism.    

As far as your 'There's also a bunch of concepts in both' goes, one can correlate just about any 'concept' with just about anything. It's an extremely weak argument on its own
and then you add in 'very likely originated in'. Another weak correlation to prop up the first weak correlation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DOGS2008] [#15]
Originally Posted By Pureblood:

I have been looking into Zoroastrianism,  it is very old apparently.  It seems like a very nice and peaceful religion.    

Much of Zoroastrianism appeals to me, I really like this ....Zoroastrian theology includes foremost the importance of following the Threefold Path of Asha revolving around Good Thoughts, Good Words, and Good Deeds.[28] There is also a heavy emphasis on spreading happiness, mostly through charity,[29] and respecting the spiritual equality and duty of both men and women.[30] Zoroastrianism's emphasis on the protection and veneration of nature and its elements has led some to proclaim it as the "world's first proponent of ecology."[31] The Avesta and other texts call for the protection of water, earth, fire, and air making it, in effect, an ecological religion: "It is not surprising that Mazdaism…is called the first ecological religion. The reverence for Yazatas (divine spirits) emphasizes the preservation of nature

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism#:~:text=Zoroastrian%20theology%20includes%20foremost%20the,of%20both%20men%20and%20women.
View Quote

OP, the world offers many religions to make you feel good.
Any "religion" that promotes charity, good works, words, thoughts, deeds, equity or naturalism, et al as THE path to heavenly peace is (among many) dead ends that end in eternal sadness.  
All religions are false but one.
The Truth is this...
Jesus was crucified to atone for my sins and yours.  
God does not Love us because we are good or good enough.
God Loves us because He loves the un-lovable.
Put your faith in Christ and you will be on the path to the Peace you are seeking.
Don't expect to find a perfect Christian Church or perfect Christians because they don't exist.
Do expect to find a Perfect Savior in Jesus Christ.  
Now you can stop looking.
I just prayed a simple prayer that you will flee from false religions and find the narrow road that leads to salvation is Jesus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top