Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2023 5:42:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doktarZues]
I got out in 2004. Used my GI bill for a couple of classes here and there but never got my degree. To say my work life is miserable and unsatisfying is an understatement. I have a 7 year old and thought I was heading toward the exit door and god damnit if I didn't slip another one past the goalie, my wife is pregnant at 40 (I'm 42). I just want need something new. Maybe get into a trade (welding, electrical?) Maybe just go finish my degree in something and start in a new field? I found out how I apply for vocational rehab, but the information I've seen after quite a bit of searching isn't showing me exactly what the benefits are or how it works. I suppose it's situational to each person. Assuming I qualify, will it pay for something like a trade school at my community college? Or regular college to get a degree? Is it similar to the GI Bill they pay for classes plus a monthly stipend (based on class load), or something different? Would appreciate any help in the right direction around what documentation might be out there I'm missing that answers those questions, or maybe someone has experience navigating the process.. just trying to get an idea of how it works and what I'd be in for. thanks y'all
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been a while since I went through the VA VOC REHAB program so I don't know how much has changed since 2004. I went through the regional office in St Louis where they have voc rehab counselors.

At that time I received monthly living allowances on top of my disability compensation for every month that I was enrolled in classes. How much you get for living allowances will depend on if you go part time or full time. And you only get it for the months that you are attending classes.

It looks like they changed things since I was in the program. It is now called Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31). And you can apply online if you want.

https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I did Voc Rehab. Paid for a Bachelor's degree. Chumpmeister covered the basics. They do cover everything from trade schools to degrees.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Vocrehab exists to retrain disabled vets into a career that works with their disabilities. In other words, your current service connected disabilities have to be interfering with your ability to work. You'll need to be able to clearly and thoroughly articulate how your disability negatively affects your job and how your current skillset won't allow you to find another job.

Once that's done the counselor will try to find something for you do. Sometimes that includes higher education, or some other schooling, sometimes it's just additional certs or whatever. You'll mainly need to know as much about your intended career field as possible, basically more than the counselor does.

Do not go into the interviews unprepared. The counselors are not there to help you, they exist just to see if you qualify for re training. Don't give them any excuse to deny your app.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I used it to get a Master's Degree. Received monthly stipend plus all expenses. Its not an easy structure but it works. They stay up your ass on grades and progress.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top