Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2023 5:45:51 PM EDT
Going to try my hand at bottle conditioning my cider.  Got my measurements sorted out (1.5 tablespoons of white sugar per gallon) and will place the bottles in a "bomb shelter" for two weeks.  I'll transfer the cider to a pitcher this weekend, mix sugar, and bottle in swing tops.   Anyone have recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 9:07:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JacobusRex] [#1]
Ended up using a couple tablespoons of white sugar in the gallon of cider.  Will let sit for 3 weeks.  Bottled in 16oz swing tops.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Let us know how it goes...

When I bottle conditioned, I was never able to really get the carbonation consistent from one bottle to the next using the batch priming method.
I don't know about cider, but with beer, you don't want to stir much due to oxygen exposure concerns, and you're already compromised using the bottling bucket here anyway.

Shortly before I went to kegging, I started using the "fizz drops", sold under a number of brands; they are sugar tablets that are a consistent dose in each tab, and depending on your target CO2 volumes, you drop X number of tabs in each bottle.
This gives consistent carbonation, and you should also be able to bottle straight from the fermenter and skip the oxygenating bottling bucket step.

The tabs are a little more expensive than batch priming for sure, but in my opinion, worth it... ymmv.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I basically didn't get any carbonation.  Luckily the cider is good anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Bottle conditioning is a micro fermentation. Keep your bottles at ideal ferm temps for the duration, then cool them off. Also, make sure you prime with enough of the right kind of sugar. Ciders are not robust fermenters so you need to hit your numbers and temps pretty close.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JacobusRex:
I basically didn't get any carbonation.  Luckily the cider is good anyway.
View Quote

What yeast, what OG, what FG (at bottling time?)

I give mine a solid 3 weeks in the bottle to carbonate after sugar priming.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

What yeast, what OG, what FG (at bottling time?)

I give mine a solid 3 weeks in the bottle to carbonate after sugar priming.
View Quote

D47 is the yeast.  1.046 and 1.000 on the gravity.  I'm about 4 or 5 weeks out now and it does appear to be picking up a little carbonation at this point.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking at a priming sugar calculator, 2 tbsp/gallon seems about right.

You didn't do anything to drop or kill the yeast right?
Some people add fresh yeast to bottle condition; I never saw the point and never had lack of fermentation as a reason to not like bottle conditioning, but again I'm speaking entirely from beer experience.  But it should be similar.
Also, your bottles are truly sealed and stored at room temp during the conditioning period?
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Now that I've let it set a little longer, it seems to be building pressure.  Must just have stalled for a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top