Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2023 11:19:19 PM EDT
Anyone familiar with this bird?

It was known as the wooden wonder of WW II due to it's construction. It was among the fastest things flying at the time.

I built a model of it when I was 12 years old and fell in love with it. Those twin Merlin engine nacelles and graceful elliptical wings just did something for me.

And yeah, I was one of those kids who hung model airplanes from his bedroom ceiling.

The side-by-side seating arrangement of pilot/navigator came back to me years later when I became an Aviation Structural Mechanic in the Navy and worked on the A-6 Intruder.

633 Squadron Mosquito flight 1 of 2
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ming_The_Merciless] [#1]
It was an AMAZING & versatile aircraft.  It was known as the "Wooden Wonder".

Served effectively as a:

Night Bomber,

Night Fighter,

Strike Fighter / Bomber,

Specialized Pathfinder,

Reconnaissance,

Coastal Patrol / ASW aircraft (the 'Tse Fly' armed with a 57mm auto loading cannon).

It had exceptionally fast speed & altitude which made it nearly impossible for the Luftwaffe to intercept or bring down until the development of the 262 very late in the war.

It was a private venture from DeHavilland to the RAF for an aircraft that would minimize the use of precious aluminum & other aircraft alloys.

Sadly, due to the wooden construction not many of them survived the ravages of time and I think only one or two are still flying.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:
It was an AMAZING & versatile aircraft.  It was known as the "Wooden Wonder".

Served effectively as a:

Night Bomber,

Night Fighter,

Strike Fighter / Bomber,

Specialized Pathfinder,

Reconnaissance,

Coastal Patrol / ASW aircraft (the 'Tse Fly' armed with a 57mm auto loading cannon).

It had exceptionally fast speed & altitude which made it nearly impossible for the Luftwaffe to intercept or bring down until the development of the 262 very late in the war.

It was a private venture from DeHavilland to the RAF for an aircraft that would minimize the use of precious aluminum & other aircraft alloys.

Sadly, due to the wooden construction not many of them survived the ravages of time and I think only one or two are still flying.
View Quote

Amazing, versatile bird.  1300 mile range, 37,000 feet with pistons.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FOX_OSCAR_hook] [#3]
Saw one in a .mil museum in BEL yesterday. Didn't take a pic of if, sadly .
Always thought it was an interesting bird, just haven't heard too much about its exploits.

ETA: pic of the plane we saw, not my pic

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Love that airplane.

I sometimes wonder: what would have happened if the USAAF had just said "Fuck it, US industry, we want several versions of this with whatever materials and engines we have"?

Neither the US nor the British seem to have been very successful with their bombing campaigns from the heavies, so what if we had dropped that completely? We still might have lost a lot of aircraft, but only 2 crew members at a time, and ability of the Mossie to out-run or out-fight aircraft intended to destroy it is partly what made it legendary.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 2:20:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FOX_OSCAR_hook:
Always thought it was an interesting bird, just haven't heard too much about its exploits.
View Quote

Operation Jericho

Portrayed in the 1969 film Mosquito Squadron.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

You know... that jogged my memory. There was a plane developed by a guy named Mike Fisher. A little homebuilt job that he called Culex. The twin engine design and name "Culex", a species of mosquito, made me think it was a nod to THE Mosquito.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
De Havilland Mosquito high speed low pass
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
It's beyond my resources and abilities, but I've often thought of how cool it might be to develop an aluminum version of the Mosquito, slap some kind of sexy nose art on her and call her Heavy Metal Mossie.
Oh, and... one of my prized possessions.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 2:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
The Mosquito had a little younger cousin - even more sexy & hotter.

The DeHavilland Hornet.

A one man mini-Mosquito (about 3/5 size) with even more powerful engines capable of 475 mph top speed

Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown, former fighter pilot and officer of the Fleet Air Arm, was one of the world's most accomplished test pilots and he held the record for flying the greatest number of aircraft types.

Just after VE Day the first semi-naval Sea Hornet PX 212 arrived at the RAE, Farnborough. Eric Brown initiated "work-up to deck-landing" trials. 37 years later, he was still impressed:

"...the next two months of handling and deck landing assessment trials were to be an absolute joy; from the outset the Sea Hornet was a winner!"
   "The view from the cockpit, positioned right forward in the nose beneath a one-piece aft-sliding canopy was truly magnificent. The Sea Hornet was easy to taxi, with powerful brakes... the takeoff using 25 lb (2,053 mm Hg, 51" Hg) boost and flaps at one-third extension was remarkable! The 2,070 hp (1,540 kW) Merlin 130/131 engines fitted to the prototypes were to be derated to 18 lb (1,691 Hg, 37" Hg) boost and 2,030 hp (1,510 kW) as Merlin 133/134s in production Sea Hornets, but takeoff performance was to remain fantastic. Climb with 18 lb boost exceeded 4,000 ft/min (1,200 m/min)"...

"In level flight the Sea Hornet's stability about all axes was just satisfactory, characteristic, of course, of a good day interceptor fighter. Its stalling characteristics were innocuous, with a fair amount of elevator buffeting and aileron twitching preceding the actual stall"...

"For aerobatics the Sea Hornet was absolute bliss. The excess of power was such that manoeuvres in the vertical plane can only be described as rocket-like. Even with one propeller feathered the Hornet could loop with the best single-engine fighter, and its aerodynamic cleanliness was such that I delighted in its demonstration by diving with both engines at full bore and feathering both propellers before pulling up into a loop!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Hornet

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:40:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#11]
Originally Posted By FrankyRay:

Operation Jericho

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/546602/MosquitoSquadron_01_jpg-2911077.JPG

View Quote

I just tried watching that movie. Special effects looked like they were done by Gerry Anderson and were horrible. I think I made it about 6 minutes and quit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The Mosquito had a little younger cousin - even more sexy & hotter.

The DeHavilland Hornet.

A one man mini-Mosquito (about 3/5 size) with even more powerful engines capable of 475 mph top speed

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/De_Havilland_Hornet_F1.jpg/800px-De_Havilland_Hornet_F1.jpg

Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown, former fighter pilot and officer of the Fleet Air Arm, was one of the world's most accomplished test pilots and he held the record for flying the greatest number of aircraft types.

Just after VE Day the first semi-naval Sea Hornet PX 212 arrived at the RAE, Farnborough. Eric Brown initiated "work-up to deck-landing" trials. 37 years later, he was still impressed:

"...the next two months of handling and deck landing assessment trials were to be an absolute joy; from the outset the Sea Hornet was a winner!"
   "The view from the cockpit, positioned right forward in the nose beneath a one-piece aft-sliding canopy was truly magnificent. The Sea Hornet was easy to taxi, with powerful brakes... the takeoff using 25 lb (2,053 mm Hg, 51" Hg) boost and flaps at one-third extension was remarkable! The 2,070 hp (1,540 kW) Merlin 130/131 engines fitted to the prototypes were to be derated to 18 lb (1,691 Hg, 37" Hg) boost and 2,030 hp (1,510 kW) as Merlin 133/134s in production Sea Hornets, but takeoff performance was to remain fantastic. Climb with 18 lb boost exceeded 4,000 ft/min (1,200 m/min)"...

"In level flight the Sea Hornet's stability about all axes was just satisfactory, characteristic, of course, of a good day interceptor fighter. Its stalling characteristics were innocuous, with a fair amount of elevator buffeting and aileron twitching preceding the actual stall"...

"For aerobatics the Sea Hornet was absolute bliss. The excess of power was such that manoeuvres in the vertical plane can only be described as rocket-like. Even with one propeller feathered the Hornet could loop with the best single-engine fighter, and its aerodynamic cleanliness was such that I delighted in its demonstration by diving with both engines at full bore and feathering both propellers before pulling up into a loop!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Hornet
View Quote

Okay... this definitely falls into the category of "how did I not know this?" Good stuff. Thank you.

And, wow... those big engines on that little plane.

Kinda' makes me think of the P-38 Lightning.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

I just tried watching that movie. Special effects looked like they were done by Gerry Anderson and were horrible. I think I made it about 6 minutes and quit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Operation Jericho

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/546602/MosquitoSquadron_01_jpg-2911077.JPG

Sorry to hear of your disappointment, but... it is a 50 year old movie.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
There was even a carrier version.  Same with the Hornet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Operation Jericho

I know it is, and I tried, I really did, but when you can see the wires the model airplane is sliding down when it crashes, well...
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Supposedly plans were found and they are going to try build new skeeters.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:40:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#17]
IIRC, there are some good YouTube videos about them- History Channel, maybe. One of the videos has interviews of former WW2 RAF pilots, done back when many of them were still alive.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 3:09:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
View Quote

Whoa... wait... whaaat!? "They" who? Got a reference for that?
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Mozzie gets it done.

Fly faster than pursuit aircraft.
Heavier firepower.

In/out, with wood, it's the stealth fighter of the war.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Was working OSH tower last year on the 36s.  Had someone check in at warbird island but couldn’t make it out, thought they said mosquito.  Had a second so I asked “ a de Havilland?” “Roger”. Sweet. First time seeing one flying.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Watch the movie.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:04:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#22]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
View Quote

There have been 2-3 already built in NZ and at least one ended up in the USA
It was shown and flown at the Virginia Beach warbirds air show prior to covid/coup.   Not at the NAS but a grass strip not far south of there.   They have quite a flying collection of WWII airplanes.  
Not sure if it’s still there and they might have an air show next year.   Have never been able to get to one myself but of course want to.

https://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/our-collection/ww2/
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Was it the Hornet or the Mosquito from which they lifted the cockpit section for the Vampire jet?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

@VACaver

I watched this one on Netflix when it was streaming. Decent movie, but the Mosquito scenes are gnarly and make it worthwhile.

The Bombardment / The Shadow In My Eye - Netflix Movie Trailer

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Also, I freaking love flying the FB MKIV in Battlefield.

Not my video:
Mosquito FB MKVI big bommer, 4000 lb bomb droping, Battlefield V
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I bet it was pretty wild zipping across the channel and dropping a 4000lb cookie (why did they call that bomb a "cookie"?) on some bad guys in that speedy kick ass plane.
I'm partial to the glass nosed versions.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Operation Jericho

But it inspired George Lucas for the Death Star trench run.

The aircraft had put fear in Goering that he wanted a Lufftwaffe copy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:12:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#28]
Here’s the documentary I was referring to in my previous post:

DeHavilland Mosquito - The Wooden Wonder of WW2
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Angus Wallace has a WWII podcast all about this plane. Very interesting. It might be on youtube.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Wrecking & Trolling The Germans With A Wooden Plane - DH-98 Mosquito
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Love that airplane.

I sometimes wonder: what would have happened if the USAAF had just said "Fuck it, US industry, we want several versions of this with whatever materials and engines we have"?

Neither the US nor the British seem to have been very successful with their bombing campaigns from the heavies, so what if we had dropped that completely? We still might have lost a lot of aircraft, but only 2 crew members at a time, and ability of the Mossie to out-run or out-fight aircraft intended to destroy it is partly what made it legendary.
View Quote

from https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196281/de-havilland-dh-98-mosquito/

" . . . Although best known for its service with the Royal Air Force, the Mosquito flew in several US Army Air Force units as a photographic and weather reconnaissance aircraft, and as a night fighter. During the war, the USAAF acquired 40 Canadian Mossies and flew them under the American F-8 (photo reconnaissance) designation. In addition, the British turned over more than 100 Mosquitoes to the USAAF under Reverse Lend-Lease. These aircraft retained their British designations . . ."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top