Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 8:37:40 AM EDT
I'm not going to do it myself, just looking for advice.

We had some wind damage and insurance is going to pay about $12k-$14k. About 35 squares. Currently have ancient 3 tab shingles.
I really want the standing seam metal roof. I got quotes on materials alone at around $10k-$11k. Cheap labor from around $3,600.

Quotes from "official" roofing companies in town= $35k- $36K and that is with just going over the current shingles.

The screw down metal roof materials are like $6500. But I really want the standing seam so we don't have to worry about getting up there and replacing 2000 screws someday.

I can't justify going with the "official" roofing companies for $20k more.

How do I spec the metal roof?
One guy said no underlayment on top of shingles, and then run 1x4s horizontally every two feet and then put the metal roof on.

I thought it would be good to put underlayment on top of the shingles first for added protection. But I guess it isn't necessary? What do y'all think?

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Existing shingles need to come off. I'd go with someone who specializes in standing seam roofs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Rip roof off.
Grace Ice and watershield whole roof.
Install furring.
Install roofing.

Thats what Id do.
I have no experience with metal roofs so ignore me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless your roof just happens to be the perfect size you're probably gonna want to hire someone for this. There's some pretty specialized tools you'd want to buy/rent to do the details right.  

R&R did a standing seam on their shop build. Check out their YT channel to get some ideas of doing metal roofs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
People install metal over shingles all the time. I'm not a fan but it is a thing. You really can't install ice and water shield over shingles. It's just not going to adhere right. If it were me, I'd strip it and Grace the whole thing. Then again, I almost never recommend metal. There are a hundred perpetuated myths about metal roofs and their longevity but the fact is the only thing a metal roof does that a high quality 50 year shingle doesn't do is shed snow.

As far as standing seam... there are a couple of "types" out there. There is a product that comes in pre-formed panels that a very experienced DIY type might be able to take on. The seams snap together. It really depends on the lengths you needs and angles you might have to contend with.

Then there's traditional standing seam. A forming machine rolls out the profile on site and a seam roller crimps two panels together on the roof. It's not a DIY job. The equipment costs more than the roof and you don't learn how to use it in a day. You think you're paying for labor but what you are paying for is expertise and specialized equipment needed to do the job no one else can do.

Quite honestly, your insurance company paid you the depreciated value of a cheap shingle roof. Bottom of the barrel replacement of a shingle roof that size in this market is around $12-13k. There's really no way to get from there to QUALITY standing seam metal without digging deep into your own pocket.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]
you're in AR, I'd look for a dealer for Central States. They have several hidden fastener options. I roofed my house with it and it's very affordable and nearly bulletproof. If you like to contact me by pm, I can give you some guidance. I've been a contractor for 40 years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I’d never put a metal roof over shingles in a hot climate.

First you need to decide if you want a traditional commercial crimped standing seem roof.  Or do you want a hidden fastener system such as a snap loc standing seem roof.

Since budget seems to be an issue I’m going to point you in the direction of the snap lock. Just keep in mind that this is installed flat on the roof. So you will need good sheeting, and a water proof membrane under it.  It’s what will replace my roof when it’s time.

Cost goes down to the size and complexity of the roof.

Also I’d call your insurance agent and find out how much more it will cost to insure the structure with a metal roof. It will be an increase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top