Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2022 2:53:56 AM EDT
My nail fungus is pretty bad right now do you know of a good treatment?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:05:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Oral terbinafine seems to be the best option now. Have seen good results with that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
terbinafine (Lamisil) works the best but you have to take a blood test to make sure it doesn't damage your liver and kidney.

I took it and it went away after 60 days. Continued using it for 30 more days, did a blood test and all was well.

5 years now and nails are nice and clear.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Any effective topicals or home remedies that actually work?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this toenail fungus?

If yes, try to wear sandals to let your feet air out as much as possible at home.  Throw out any shoes that don't fit properly or any closed toe shoes worn without socks that are bacteria traps.  Always wear clean socks.  Keep toenails trimmed short and straight as to prevent the toenail from getting bumped.  Sometimes nail trauma can foster bacterial and fungal infections.  Get a cuticle pusher  and scrape the funk out from under the nail.  Always sanitize your implements (cuticle pusher, fingernail/ toenail trimmer, cuticle nipper, etc.) to prevent cross-contamination.  I recommend physically washing and then using Barbicide.  There is a mid-size jar for nail implements, if you can find one.  If not, any glass jar the implements fit in should work.  Airdrying the tools and spraying with isopropyl alcohol is also recommended.  For any personal reusable tools that are unable to be soaked, scrub with a nailbrush and spray with alcohol.  Lastly, apply a topical treatment diligently and consistently.  You can use something like this.  Be patient with this process.  It can the better part of a year for the healthy nail to grow out.  Follow the manufacturer's directions on the topical treatment.  Good luck!  :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jack67:
Oral terbinafine seems to be the best option now. Have seen good results with that.
View Quote
^^ that's the only way to really get it gone
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By _DR:
View Quote
no
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
no
View Quote

Yep. Because once it’s in the nail bed and deep, it’s out of reach and air and water tight from the outside.  Gotta grow out clean tissue over time, which means blood-borne antifungals.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jack67:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:03:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PewPewPew1212] [#9]
Does OP actually wash his feet (scrub with a soapy rag) or is he one of those peeps that believes just standing in the shower while the soap and water goes down is sufficient?

It amazes me sometimes what people consider acceptable personal hygiene

-Washing your feet regularly.
-Dry then we’ll and wear shoes/socks that keep them dry
-Oral pill as others have mentioned.
-get a scrubber to help take off the dry/dead stuff and then apply anti fungal creams.
-be consistent
-if you have nail fungus, nail clear coat applied regularly to the nail and nailbed
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Formula 7 - The Solution.

I tried all the otc stuff. My podiatrist gave me a tube of this stuff and it knocked it right out.

Also, you gotta take your socks off and let your feet dry out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Oral Lamisil.  It’s the only thing that works.  It will clear up any other fungal infection you have as well. I had a really bad case of athletes foot from when I lived in Central America in the late 80’s.  I battled it for years.  I took Lamisil for a toenail infection in 2004 and it was gone within a week.  I haven’t had anything come back since.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By _DR:
View Quote

I have used Vicks Vapor Rub to good effect. After two years, only a little left on one big toe. Daily until it disappears, weekly after that to keep it at bay.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
no
View Quote

Wrong, fungus breath.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Tolcyclen
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#15]
FPNI.  Lamisil oral.  It’s an expensive prescription, but it obliterates the nail fungus.  It will also get rid of fungi you didn’t know you have or had been needlessly tolerating.  

It got rid of my nail fungus.
It got rid of athletes foot I had acquired in Panama.
It got rid of a fungal infection on my finger that was caused by a staple poke from a box delivered from China.
It also got rid of a case of jock itch I didn’t know I had.  I just thought sweating caused my balls to itch.  Nope it was jock itch.
Lastly, it cleared up a mild case of dandruff I had been managing with shampoo.  

I have been fungus and dandruff free for over 15 years now.  Well worth the cost.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried every OTC med I could find, and tried every home remedy as well. Nothing worked. Nothing.

Got a scrip for Lamisil, and lab orders for every 30 days to monitor my liver. Toes were looking normal by the end of my 90 day treatment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top