Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2023 6:51:40 PM EDT
new to the job, looking for tips for night time HGN stimulus. I was recommended a pen light, there are many different lumens, which one? I was thinking a nurse's pen light for checking pupil dilatation. What do you all recommend?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LifeSTAR] [#1]
Streamlight stylus pen light. They offer multiple colors. You don’t need anything bright. Just something they can track. You want the eyes wide open, not squinty. You can check size and reactivity with your regular flashlight.

I just use the tip of my pen and ambient light from car/ streetlight/ flashlight.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
^this
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
copy, I was worried about getting something too bright. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use the tip of my pen and with my flashlight on low.  I hold my flashlight over my head so I have enough light on my pen for the drunk to see it, I had a drunk argue during the trail he couldn't see the pen. Holding the light over my head, prevents me from shining the light into the drunk's eyes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Finger. It will always be with you.

We had a local attorney ask the officer if he kept all the evidence from the case. He said yes. He asked for the pen used as the stimulus. Said he no longer had it and couldn't remember what was used. There was a discussion on if the pen was reflective, altered the light, and so on.

As for a light, my flashlight works fine. You have more than enough splash to gradually provide light as you need. No reason to carry one more thing when what you have works fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the streamlight stylus with the red light.  That’s what I’ve used for 6 years.   I’ve got a Toxoptix pen as well but only use it for DRE evals at the jail and almost never use it in the field.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve found the Streamlight Stylus in blue is much more difficult for drunks not to follow.  Advice is worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Streamlight MicroStream, covered by left index finger.

Bright enough to use as an administrative light for menial tasks, or as a search light looking under vehicle seats. Dim enough it doesn’t blow white light through your finger when used as a stimulus on SFSTs. Small enough to fit into most uniform pen pockets, and has a dual-directional (bends down, then back up again creating two small loops) pocket clip that you can clip anywhere, facing up or down. I also use the clip to hold DL’s on traffic stops if I need to keep my hand free.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in our OUI team for a couple of years and tried them all. The little stream light penlight in blue or red worked. But I eventually just went back to using my department pen with the silver clicker end. You just need something of “contrast.”  I found a small window punch was more needed than my penlight for when someone didn’t want to get out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 4:15:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I used the tip of my thumb with my light in the other hand.  I also made them have their hands on their face so I could see them.  If a hand came off the face I could make a strike to the nose, throat, etc.. if needed for self defense.  It was just one of the tips I learned from an old hard core instructor when I went to DUI Instructor's school.

I also made copies of the DUI report provided at DUI school and made a complete case file for every arrest.  I would review my videos after I got a camera to make sure I did not miss anything.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I just use my finger but I only average a DUI a year.  I hate doing them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 4:06:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Finger, and I did plenty of them.

Get good at SFST’s, lots of folks kind of suck at it, which is not good at all…
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 4:12:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By policeman:
I used the tip of my thumb with my light in the other hand.  I also made them have their hands on their face so I could see them.  If a hand came off the face I could make a strike to the nose, throat, etc.. if needed for self defense.  It was just one of the tips I learned from an old hard core instructor when I went to DUI Instructor's school.

I also made copies of the DUI report provided at DUI school and made a complete case file for every arrest.  I would review my videos after I got a camera to make sure I did not miss anything.
View Quote

A good attorney might have a field day with that method.  I would always advise to do it as you were trained on the “standardized” FST’s….And that isn’t part of it.  Believe me, at trial everyone better know their shit, be able to demo, explain, and better not have technique that is different than the book, or at least as close as they could do based on the environment/circumstances.  

Only time I would tell someone to hold their face/head would be it you really, really wanted them to hold their head still, but they keep turning it.  Normally just ding them a point and keep going though.  That would be something needing an explanation in a report, and I was all about the standardized 1.5 page DUII arrest report…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top