Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2023 10:58:51 AM EDT
I was dropped from FTEP because I was too slow at writing reports. During my separation I was advised a smaller department would be a good fit as their workload is less and could expect a good recommendation from the department to such an agency. I started off struggling with report writing as many recruits do. It took me a while to get into it again obviously too long (I'm older and had not typed a "paper" in 18 years).  I was wondering if anyone here has a method to improve report writing and speed? I'm currently unemployed for the first time in 21 years and really liked being a cop. I'm seeking self-improvement, and do not know what to do. I have read several books, gone to the library for resources, searched youtube and did not find anything that was helpful. I know there is a lot of experienced officers on this forum and thought I would reach out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Take an English class at the local Community College.

Try to sit-in on the report writing session at the academy as a guest.

Obtain reports from your agency written by those who are viewed as good report writers and see how their reports are structured.

Some years back we cut a guy for the same problems, he worked three years for a smaller agency and we rehired him. He did ok, not fantastic, but better than before.

Some people just can't write LE oriented reports no matter how much effort they put into it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Not an LEO but I have written thousands of reports in a similar context. When I read your post I reached out to my cousin. He's creeping up on 25 years as a trooper and he confirmed what I suspected.

You need a formula... a pattern of report writing that captures all of the actions and details, in order.

What was the precipitant: why were you there

What happened, who did what, how did you react, what law,policy, or fundamental practice guided your action. Repeat that pattern until all pertinent actions are recorded.

Outcome: what was the final disposition, who was involved in that decision. What was the compelling justification (in LE most certainly the violation of law or lack thereof) and condition of everyone involved.

That's really just an example based on my conversation, experience, and understanding of the basics of the job but you get the idea. A lot of cops probably do this very thing without thinking about it.  Many probably have or had a similar guideline that eventually became as second nature as cuffing someone. Writing a report is just another skill and the more you repeat the same process the more it becomes second nature. Build a formula and content that fits and you'll get fast, be accurate,  and be complete.

If it helps, my experience is hands on restraints with psych patients. Every report was not only subject to regulatory oversight but a fair number of them resulted in law suits and needed to be bullet proof. Every action needed to have a legal justification behind it and every decision had to be reasoned. You can imagine when you're in charge of 3 inpatient psychiatric units, some shifts can get so crazy that you have to turn those reports fast as you don't have time to waste.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks you all for the information and suggestions. I'm not currently employed and wish I had access to reports to study. Writing has never been a strong suit of mine and I did struggle with writing throughout school. I was critiqued as having too much detail when not needed and sometimes not enough of the right detail. I was told knowing what to put into a report will come with experience. The issue I had was primarily writing too slow. I started phase two FTEP with multiple draft reports. I finished phase two with only typos and minor issues. In just a month I was able to get my reports acceptable and, in some cases, very well written but to do so I had to slow down. I can type fast but choosing the words for a report, I may rewrite a paragraph dozens of times before I'm satisfied.  

I am applying to a smaller agency as recommended by my former employer. I do not want a repeat and willing to do what it takes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Report writing skills are necessary. But unless your reports were completely useless and took you half a shift to write each one, there’s something else going on as well.

If you’re sure it’s really only your reports, I’d suggest developing a template. A sheet you can print a bunch of and pull out one for every incident. Make blanks for all necessary information, so you don’t forget to get anything. From there, it’s building the narrative. The important thing there is order. Making good notes helps.

You received a call or noticed whatever. You then did X. You spoke with A, who indicated Y happened. Then you spoke with B who confirmed Y, but also added Z. Then summarize the events that you were told, as you understood them, and ask if you have it right.

Never include your thoughts or opinions or use them to fill in blanks. If it is unknown, say it is unknown.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I found the best way for me to write reports was stream of consciousness writing. I'd look over the notes, make sure of the bullet points I wanted covered in the report and just start writing. I don't know how else to explain the process. Once done I'd review the report, swap out over-used words for synonyms and correct for paragraph structure and making sure that the classic who what where how and why that we all learned in the academy were answered. Thank god for computers, cut and paste etc. When you're writing an average of two hours a day you get pretty good at it pretty quickly.
Did you seek out advice from FTOs if you knew you were struggling? Did you review your agencies policy on report writing to make sure that you were satisfying their stated elements? In this day and age of difficulty finding recruits I cant believe there wasnt some effort made on remediation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a college level English class. If you can also get some narratives from the guys that are better at it, use them as a template and see how they structure them. And don't beat yourself up to bad about struggling during FTO with report writing. I've seen recruits let go for it, it's not that unusual.

Getting some experience at a slower paced agency before coming back isn't a bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 3:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chromekilla] [#8]
I saw another post from you about 90 days ago asking about HGN tips and being new on the job...

I seriously question you getting 86ed for report writing. Unless it is a cover for you being a "lazy worker" ie failing to properly fill out reports by end of shift, or coming in on your day off to do so.

You need to get your typing speed up, you also likely need to get your word formatting skills up. Formatting/template kills a lot of time.

You also likely have access to your agencies report system.

Make a file folder with DUI, Car Accident, Death Investigation, Theft, Burglary, Assault etc. Take a few samples of good looking reports and make templates on your document drive.

Open the template each time and go to town, it will get you in the ball park and cut your time down by around half.

You may could also use a recording device, and get a speech to text app. Then go through and fix it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Whatever you do, just don't write in the Third Person. That shit is too antiquated "This Officer observed the suspect...."
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was new, I would typically just word vomit my narrative into a word document as fast as I could get it out.  Then, if possible, I would go do something else for 30 minutes or so to clear my head. When I came back to the narrative after a short break I would go through it and make corrections or reorganize it to make it easier to read.

Over time, it became easier to type a clear and concise narrative the first time and they required less editing prior to submission.

Sounds like you need more practice.  Since you don't have access to an FTO to grade practice narratives, you should consider taking an English or creative writing course while you're working on getting hired by another agency.

In my experience, report writing is BY FAR the thing more trainees have trouble with than anything else.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:
Whatever you do, just don't write in the Third Person. That shit is too antiquated "This Officer observed the suspect...."
View Quote
We require third person. The point being the story is able to be understood by someone that doesn't know all the players. Its a PITA to write that way, but it makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to hope you are typing and not writing.  One semester of typing had me up to 80 words a minute.  

Local PCSD dictates reports called into a contracted call center.  The center types the reports.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:
View Quote

Jimmy hates people who write in third person! It makes Jimmy confused as to who actually wrote it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By O-Face:

Jimmy hates people who write in third person! It makes Jimmy confused as to who actually wrote it.
View Quote

When I was a military cop we wrote reports in true 3rd person format.  I had to refer to myself and everyone else involved by rank and name.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
@pinkmist

Sorry I did not see this sooner.  If you IM me where you were working prior, I can give you some recommendations that might be a better fit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, I've read a ton of books, both for personal and professional use/growth. They've helped become more.. descriptive. But what helped the most for work was finding someone who wrote excellent reports, and then copying their style for brief period while adding my own bits here and there. Simple structure: take a template that works and slightly tweak it. Feel free to send me a pm.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:26:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMS2011] [#17]
For typing, 2 prongs. But you need a desktop and keyboard. If you don't have one, public libraries typically do. A simple Google search for "free typing lessons" gave a ton of options. Practice as often as you can. My " keyboarding" class from 2001 had us cover the keyboard so we learned the home keys and could watch the screen (not looking down at the keyboard speeds you WAY UP). That's an immediate option. You could also check if there are actual classes through your local junior college, library, or literacy council.

Prong two would be to actually work on police report writing. Contact the community/junior colleges in your area. Criminal Justice majors are usually required to take a technical writing class now. It's literally a report writing class. It'll cost money, but the best option.

I also second preparing a template. Contact old coworkers and ask if they have one (most of us do).
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I am not in law enforcement, but am a FF / Paramedic and have my share of reports. I assume they are similar with lots of box checking and then a narrative. As mentioned here, some templates for common types of calls can be helpful. For "style" there are many formats, but personally I always use narrative: unit dispatched for X, upon arrival we found Y, then we did 1, 2, 3 and transported to Z, transferred patient care and returned to service." Basically tell the story from start to finish with the important medical details: condition, interventions, etc. Some guys do talk to text and that helps them move faster. Some do all their reports at the end, I like to do them after each call. You have to find what works for you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
OP, I've read a ton of books, both for personal and professional use/growth. They've helped become more.. descriptive. But what helped the most for work was finding someone who wrote excellent reports, and then copying their style for brief period while adding my own bits here and there. Simple structure: take a template that works and slightly tweak it. Feel free to send me a pm.
View Quote

Throughout my FTO period I would save an approved narrative from each new type of call I wrote a report on.  Once I was on my own, I would refer to those narratives if I got stuck writing a similar type of report.  Eventually, I didn't need to refer to them anymore and became very comfortable in my own writing style.

Another helpful tool might be a recipe card for a particular type of call, such as:

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Is there a domestic relationship between suspect/victim?
Is the victim pregnant, over 65 years old, or any additional aggravating factors?
Are there visible injuries on the victim.  If so, are they consistent with the claimed mechanism of injury?  TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS
Are there any witnesses?  If so, what are their relationships to the victim/suspect?  OBTAIN A WRITTEN OR RECORDED VERBAL STATEMENT FROM ALL INVOLVED PARTIES OR DOCUMENT THEIR REFUSAL TO PROVIDE A SWORN STATEMENT
Are there signs of a struggle at the scene?  If so, are those signs consistent with the claims made by victim/suspect?  TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS
Does the victim wish to pursue prosecution against the suspect?
If no arrest is made, what steps did you take to prevent further violence?
Is all paperwork complete and signed?
What was the disposition of the call?

Using a template can help you make sure you have everything you need before leaving the scene, as well as help you frame your thoughts when it comes time to write the narrative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top