Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
what did you cook today? (Page 83 of 84)
Page / 84
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#1]
Grill smoked a pichanna.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess it's just one of those days.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That's some great looking chimichurri @Bulldog1967. What's in yours? Did you hand chop or blend?

Mine tastes great, but it never looks as good as yours.
I did white onions (didn't have scallions handy)
Cilantro and Parsley (about 3:1)
Garlic
red pepper flake
dried oregano
S&P

I've messed it up in the blender before - came out very bitter, so I only hand chop now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bulldog1967] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks... I guess it's the onions/scallions that detract from the appearance of mine.

I may have to give it a try one day without and also try straight parsley instead of cilantro/parsley.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Hand chop is the only way to make chimichurri. Blending definitely leads to it being bitter.

Nice plates btw. I used mine on street tacos.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
Thanks... I guess it's the onions/scallions that detract from the appearance of mine.

I may have to give it a try one day without and also try straight parsley instead of cilantro/parsley.
View Quote

I love cilantro, but I think straight parsley makes better chimi.

Crap, now I want to make picanha.  Then again, a little chimichurri on a ribeye isn’t bad either…
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Crap, now I want to make picanha.  Then again, a little chimichurri on a ribeye isn’t bad either…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sounds like a no lose proposition.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've messed it up in the blender before - came out very bitter, so I only hand chop now.
View Quote

I didn't even realize that was a thing until I saw a cooking show about it. Over-processing it activates some compound that turns the flavor.

Wife thinks I waste time watching cooking shows, while simultaneously being baffled that my food is so much better than hers, when she "did the same thing."
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

My boy is one of those people for whom cilantro tastes soapy, and he complains every time I use it. I sub parsley or Thai basil. While not significantly different, it does make a difference. It's a subjective difference, though.

I agree with you for chimichurri, though. I like it better with parsley.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Ran out of bread.

So I made a loaf of my Italian/rosemary no knead bread.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I put a brisket on yesterday - should be ready sometime this afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Carbonara featuring homemade pancetta

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The carbonara was from Friday night. Last night was smoked beef ribs with homemade barbecue sauce, coleslaw and baked beans.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:14:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Wet-cured a rack of pork for a week.

Then dry rubbed it and smoked it at 200 for a few hours.

Cut into chops and finished on the griddle…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285/image-3194663.jpg

In hindsight, I should have cured for one or two more days.  You can see the white spot in the chop in the foreground where the cure did not soak all the way in.

Cure:   One gallon of water, a cup of sugar, a cup of brown sugar, a half cup of sea salt, and one heaping tablespoon of Prague powder #1.
View Quote

That looks really good. I made buck board bacon last week. If you haven't you should try it
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#18]
Flank steak

Becomes carne asada tacos

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I made some jerk chicken last night. Today will be smoked meatloaf and Mac and cheese.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

+1. I love a good flank steak.

Any tips on this? I made some a while back with some quarters.
While they were pretty damned good, most of the good jerk flavor was just in the skin.
I marinated overnight and cut slits in the meat. The next day I rubbed it down HEAVILY with more seasoning. Not sure what else to do to get more flavor in it other than maybe injection.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:06:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#22]

+1. I love a good flank steak.

Any tips on this? I made some a while back with some quarters.
While they were pretty damned good, most of the good jerk flavor was just in the skin.
I marinated overnight and cut slits in the meat. The next day I rubbed it down HEAVILY with more seasoning. Not sure what else to do to get more flavor in it other than maybe injection.
View Quote

I've been using a marinade from Cooks Illustrated for over 10 years. Let me know if you want me to post it here. I makes sure that some of the marinade goes under the skin and I reserve some and smoke it with the chicken and serve as a dipping sauce.

Check out my reel on IG which shows the ingredients as well as how juicy the meat is.

Harlanfood4thought
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Sunday is for pizza.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Tonkatsu Ramen...

No I did not make this from scratch, I have neither the time nor ambition to make the soup base from scratch.  I used Nissin Raoh imported "instant" ramen.  I did however make the ajitsuke tamago (ramen egg) and the mayu (scorched garlic oil).

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By thebomber:

I've been using a marinade from Cooks Illustrated for over 10 years. Let me know if you want me to post it here. I makes sure that some of the marinade goes under the skin and I reserve some and smoke it with the chicken and serve as a dipping sauce.

Check out my reel on IG which shows the ingredients as well as how juicy the meat is.

Harlanfood4thought
View Quote

Go ahead and put it here. I have misplaced my IG login.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Keeping it simple on a Monday: grilled chicken thighs.

Seasoned rice is in the cooker inside.

Chicken, adobo seasoning, fire:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#29]
duck egg carbonara.  

1 whole duck egg, 4 yolks.  2 ounces pecerino, 1.5 ounce parmesan, ~8 ounces pancetta, pepper, pasta water.  Served over thin spaghetti b/c that's all we had.  Not ideal but it was still good.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Yesterday,  but smoked shotgun shells.

They were great.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Cowboy Caviar salad was great too, even though I forgot to add the corn.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Last night was a pair of fine Wagyu boneless ribeyes followed today by a great lunch salad with the remainder of the Wagyu. I just love it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
duck egg carbonara.  

1 whole duck egg, 4 yolks.  2 ounces pecerino, 1.5 ounce parmesan, ~8 ounces pancetta, pepper, pasta water.  Served over thin spaghetti b/c that's all we had.  Not ideal but it was still good.

https://i.imgur.com/qmvyTQvh.jpg
View Quote

Nice work!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Dessert after we wolfed done a couple of racks of pork ribs that I smoked. Blackberry cobbler, a first for me to bake, turned out great. I picked the Blackberries off some wild plants growing on one of my fence rows.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Within the last weekish I finally busted out the Traeger and Blackstone -
Did some chicken bombs on the Traeger. It's a boneless chicken thigh wrapped around a stuffed jalapeno with homemade blackberry jam and cream cheese and then wrapped in bacon and smoked to a perfect crisp.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Within the last weekish I finally busted out the Traeger and Blackstone -
Did some chicken bombs on the Traeger. It's a boneless chicken thigh wrapped around a stuffed jalapeno with homemade blackberry jam and cream cheese and then wrapped in bacon and smoked to a perfect crisp.

Smash burgers with caramelized onions and homemade burger sauce. But first had to grind some cow.

Last night did some bone in sirloin steaks cooked to 125° with a garlic rosmary butter.

Tonight is Blackstone enchilada night.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#36]

That looks awesome!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#37]
Making a big batch of chili right now.  Just started dehydrating the peppers.  I have a bunch of guajillos and a few arbols in there.

Attachment Attached File

Browning the beef.  I was lazy and didn't cut it up into really small cubes this time.

Attachment Attached File

Got the puree ready in the blender.

Attachment Attached File

Let this bubble for a while.

Attachment Attached File

Nearing completion.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Yesterday I did a pork roast in a gravy with some smothered green beans for my lunches this week.  Still trying to replicate my podnah's pork roast, his has the richest, darkest gravy of any I've had.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Enchiladas are my albatross. They’re not hard to make, but somehow I always manage to screw them up.  My family wanted chicken enchiladas verdes for cinco de Mayo.

Sigh- ok.

My green sauce was perfect.  The enchiladas were decent.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Panchos-  because mexi-food is too much awesome for one day…

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Smoked and seared a top round yesterday because I didn’t have a lot of time but it turned out pretty tasty

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:

Smash burgers with caramelized onions and homemade burger sauce. But first had to grind some cow.
https://i.imgur.com/oE0zL3K.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bfpmGqY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TGxQuv1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gc0UknI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/A2ezSda.jpg
View Quote

@Cardplayer
How were those fries prepared?
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#43]

@Cardplayer
View Quote

Fresh cut potatoes soaked in saltwater for an hour and dried them very well. I used a generous amount of avocado oil on a 450° heated grill and just made a single layer on the grill and seasoned with salt while flipping every few minutes.
I have no doubt they can be done better in an air fryer, but we wanted to prepare everything outside. Def worth it.
I was going to do them in cast iron on the BS but this was a great sub and less oil. Worth it and I'll do them again the same way.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Fresh cut potatoes soaked in saltwater for an hour and dried them very well. I used a generous amount of avocado oil on a 450° heated grill and just made a single layer on the grill and seasoned with salt while flipping every few minutes.
I have no doubt they can be done better in an air fryer, but we wanted to prepare everything outside. Def worth it.
I was going to do them in cast iron on the BS but this was a great sub and less oil. Worth it and I'll do them again the same way.
View All Quotes

@Cardplayer

I'd advise against trying to fry in cast iron on the blackstone unless you have a home hookup for gas, even then... not so much.

I fried some bacon wrapped shrimp on mine in a foil pan and even that was incredibly inefficient. Cast Iron would be even worse.
I may have to try the blackstone fries one day. Looks great.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#45]

I'd advise against trying to fry in cast iron on the blackstone unless you have a home hookup for gas, even then... not so much.

I fried some bacon wrapped shrimp on mine in a foil pan and even that was incredibly inefficient. Cast Iron would be even worse.
View All Quotes

@Cardplayer

Ok noted and thanks. I've done a few things in aluminum pans enchilada sauce, bacon jam and I assumed it would transfer heat nicely.
Link Posted: Today 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#46]
They had prime strip on sale for 10 bucks a pound. Did it on the blackstone with some butter and garlic. I also tried the chimichurri without cilantro and shallots. It was prettier, but I preferred the flavor of the last one I made.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#47]
(Again) American style Chinese food… more B&B. Kids love it…

Link Posted: Today 7:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#48]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69531/IMG_8625-3209075.jpg
View Quote

Beef and broccoli is my comfort food. Toss in some sweet and sour pork with an eggroll and I am down for the count.

What sucks is, the S&S pork with the eggroll "plate" [and the awesome that it is, pork fried rice] is combo "C". When I order, they always confirm: "C, as in cat?"

Link Posted: Today 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

The beef looks great. Do you velvet your beef before cooking?
Link Posted: Today 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Yes
Page / 84
what did you cook today? (Page 83 of 84)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top