Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2024 10:48:08 AM EDT
I'm not liking Hyper-V very much.  I was using Hyper-V on 2012 r2 but the OS is EOL  I was able to upgrade all of my machines to 2022 DC and tried running that for a few weeks but every so often the server would crash and take my VMs offline, so I down graded to 2019 DC and while the servers aren't crashing as often they still do.  I have run Vmware in the past but I cant upgrade past 6.7, so I am looking for a Linux hypervisor solution that can run various os's ranging from windows to Linux that has low overhead but will also have a gui (not a desktop, but a page that will allow visuals)  so what is everyone using?  My basic of requirements is to be able to config VMs with a gui, be able to move VMs between hosts either manually or automatically and to have a single place to manage all of the hosts and VMs and to be able to migrate VMs off of Hyper-v to a format that the new Linux hypervisor can use .  Does such a creature exist?  I'm not looking for step by step on how to configure this up, just to point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't say I love it, but from a similarity and ease of use standpoint I do have a number of Linux hosts running VirtualBox

It's not totally great, but free and at least moderately able to be run vis CLI in lieu of the GUI
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zeus2you:
I wouldn't say I love it, but from a similarity and ease of use standpoint I do have a number of Linux hosts running VirtualBox

It's not totally great, but free and at least moderately able to be run vis CLI in lieu of the GUI
View Quote

I'm wanting to get away from windows as the base of the hypervisor and from what I remember about virtual box I can do live migrations from one host to another under virtual box
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:29:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#3]
I've become a huge fan of Proxmox and have a 2-node HA Cluster running at home (last ~2 years) as well as at work now.

ETA: You can import the disks from Hyper-V into Proxmox.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top