Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2024 4:27:23 PM EDT
I have a win11 laptop.
all the windows updates say they are current.
driver says it is working fine.
periodically using both chrome and edge, starting thursday, would suddenly say no internet.
running chromes diagnostic it would say dns servers not responding.
edge would show no internet but running the diagnostics from there show I am connected to the internet but no web pages pull up for either.
I then hard coded the ip, gateway and google dns servers to see if this fixed it and it did not.
if you do the network advanced setting to reset the adapter, the browsers can then pull up web pages for a bit, then something dies and they do it again.
I tried using a wifi dongle and it does the same thing.
works for a bit then boom, dead till I reset adapters.
I disabled the onboard wifi so I know I am using the dongle.

laptop is a lenovo yoga 2 in 1. if that matters.
it is about 2 years old.

any idea what to try next?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like your DNS TTL is set way down. (Time-to-Live is a setting that tells the computer how long to wait before checking again.)

But then the second query is blocked.

Are you on any kind of VPN? Get off it while troubleshooting if you are.

Next, test your lookup after the event happens. In a command prompt, type "nslookup ar15.com" and press enter. That tells the computer to ask where that site is. You should get a number back.

Use the DNS servers your ISP gives you when you connect to the internet rather than messing around with other ones while you troubleshoot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
It sounds like your DNS TTL is set way down. (Time-to-Live is a setting that tells the computer how long to wait before checking again.)

But then the second query is blocked.

Are you on any kind of VPN? Get off it while troubleshooting if you are.
View Quote

I also wonder if it's some anti-malware suite that could be filtering/messing with DNS.
It could be overriding the system DNS settings, interrupting the DNS queries and failing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
after setting to fixed ip, I tried the adapter reset again, and it started working.
hasn't gone down again so far.
I will try the other commands if it happens again.

I too thought it might be malware, but didn't get any hits on anti virus.
I know there is a file somewhere that you can block or redirect network address, but honestly forgot the name of it. like a etc file or something. but it doesn't seem to be permanent since I can get it to work sometimes.

thanks, will follow up if it happens again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
after setting to fixed ip, I tried the adapter reset again, and it started working.
hasn't gone down again so far.
I will try the other commands if it happens again.

I too thought it might be malware, but didn't get any hits on anti virus.
I know there is a file somewhere that you can block or redirect network address, but honestly forgot the name of it. like a etc file or something. but it doesn't seem to be permanent since I can get it to work sometimes.

thanks, will follow up if it happens again.
View Quote
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS  <-- no file extension. It's text. Drag and drop into notepad (NOT MS WORD) to look at or edit.

Windows 11 will fight you if you try to save the file.  You gotta change the permissions somehow. (Instructions should be easy to find, as are how to use.)

I would steer away from using it as an ad blocker until your internet connectivity issues get fixed and stay fixed for a while.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
ah, thanks for the memory jog.

yeah, wasn't using it as a block, but seeing if some malware had edited the file.
I remember using it as a redirect in labs before. just haven't had to(or been allowed to) for work, since we have an IT group now that locks us out.
of course I don't test much anymore so don't need the access.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrewh] [#6]
so it happened again.
no vpn
avast and stinger report no virus or maleware
host file is empty except default comments.
nslookup
shows 2 seconds as time out.
still fixed ip and fixed dns to the google ones.

reset of adapter worked to bring it back again.
anything else to look at or try?

so pinging google.com doesn't return, but pinging the google ipv6 ip works. as well as the 8.8.8.8 dns server.
so obviously the dns server is good.
feels like an odd windows 11 thing.
no other machines on my network are affected.
resetting the adapter every day doesn't seem like a good choice. and it also is connecting. I can't figure out how only the dns is broken on the adapter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top