Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 12:35:36 PM EDT
Eventually it will become legal for recreational use. Are you open to the idea of investing now to potentially cash in on the pot needle suppliers?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope to dope.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup why not. Its not about weed, its about me having more money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Until the Feds settle the status of weed, no way. Gray area investments, no bueno.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#5]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
Eventually it will become legal for recreational use. Are you open to the idea of investing now to potentially cash in on the pot needle suppliers?
View Quote

Probably not.  It's already a bit oversaturated.  It's also grey and underworld, and will be even after legalized - making it high risk.  

Do you really want to trust this culture with your investment money?  

Obviously some are a lot more professional then that - but at it's heart, it takes a certain motivation to say "I want to grow pot".  Grey and underrworld industries tend to make investor money POOF.

JMHO - I seem to be offending and rubbing people the wrong way today, so who knows - maybe just ignore me on this, but you asked.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Currently forbidden because my employer says so.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
Yup why not. Its not about weed, its about me having more money.
View Quote

thats what im talking about... i wasnt hip to the jive a few years back when NVDA was 60 bucks a share in jan 2020 and now 4 years later its around 870ish a share.  If i was smart when it came to computers and thouht more forward well id be an arfcom millionaire right now
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope.

Once it goes federal the national companies will destroy Pittsburg Pot and Denver Dope Inc.

They have the logistics to move the product to market nationwide cheapest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Probably not.  It's already a bit oversaturated.  It's also grey and underworld, and will be even after legalized - making it high risk.  

Do you really want to trust this culture with your investment money?  Obviously some are a lot more professional then that - but at it's heart, it takes a certain motivation to say "I want to grow pot".

https://ew.com/thmb/WEV87O9D8ZXNEwasgguMKwMxGBM=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/upsmokecheechchong_l-6c21752cbf6b4c68a0f931bc05d484e0.jpg

JMHO - I seem to be offending and rubbing people the wrong way today, so who knows - maybe just ignore me on this, but you asked.
View Quote

thats a solid take as well!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Are these companies paying federal taxes?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Not until it's federally legal, and the growers and sellers can use banks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
View Quote

I think we have the same employer
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grendelbane] [#13]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
View Quote

Your employer forbids you from investing in marijuana stocks?  I don't understand.

Myself, I don't see investing in any right now.  I have one small investment in a company that caters to the marijuana industry, and that is enough for right now.  SHFS
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#14]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
View Quote

I believe they are.  They would disclose it as Other Income, or such - to keep in compliance with IRS side of regs.

It's fascinating- as they are engaging in a Federal crime (good law / bad law aside)   yet no enforcement.  But if Donald Trump does something minor and common with no victims- BOOM!

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably not. Not for any moral or ethical reason, but mainly because Mexicans can always do it cheaper and better.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Do you really want to trust this culture with your investment money?  

https://ew.com/thmb/WEV87O9D8ZXNEwasgguMKwMxGBM=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/upsmokecheechchong_l-6c21752cbf6b4c68a0f931bc05d484e0.jpg

Obviously some are a lot more professional then that - but at it's heart, it takes a certain motivation to say "I want to grow pot".  Grey and underrworld industries tend to make investor money POOF.

View Quote

This, excellent post and I got your back fam.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
View Quote

taxation is theft
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Im pretty sure that’ll fuck up a security clearance
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:57:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clendennan] [#19]
Here’s what will happen

As soon as the federal gov approves and cleans up its act they’ll all spike… all of them

Soon after many will come down to earth because of saturation and other realities… if you’re fast you’ll make money… But that money could be making money elsewhere while you wait for this to happen

Many other companies will fold and they will consolidate for a few years… Simply put they won’t be making enough to justify their PE ratios and you won’t make the money you think you will

Avoid companies like Tilray altogether as They are Canadian and will not get preferential treatment in the US.  People don’t think politics be like it do, but it is.

If you absolutely must invest, just buy one of the ETFs

There are better places to put your money
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Pot brownies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#21]
I made a thread a few weeks ago asking if anyone was investing in MJ

I guess I worded it wrong, because nobody responded.  

Pot stocks were all the rage Ten years ago, but since then, it’s been down, down down.   The contrarian in me wonders if this is a buying opportunity.  

The question is:  Can they sustain that 4% dividend?    Are they profitable, or soon to be bankrupt?

I can’t find much information, and I was hoping some of our investing gurus would offer an opinion.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Drugs are bad, mkay...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#23]

No

I know a couple people who were in the grow business for several years then got out recently.

As MJ becomes legal in more and more states the competition grows and eats into what was once a market with a wide moat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Look at the legal markets. Most of them are collapsing under goverment regulation and taxes.

Black market is thriving.

Ymmv.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
View Quote

It's already been very lucrative, I have no issue making more money off of it, but I'm more interested in just maxing my 401k and index funds at this point.

They say the real money in the gold rush was selling picks and shovels, not getting lucky and striking gold. When it gets legalized somewhere the money is in setting up grows for people, not being a grower competing with every other semi retired executive, trust fund baby, or hustler who has enough connections. Same with retail, unless you're somewhere that restricts licenses and it turns into a taxi medallion racket.  There's a ton of money to be made, but also a lot to be lost if you're not in the loop at the beginning. After a decade or two it will be like everything else and fair game again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I own some shares of HYFM. I learned about them from a cannabis industry guy, but their growing solutions work well beyond that industry.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: missychapo] [#27]
I have money in IIPR. They are a real estate company who rent to pot producers.
I bought the stock in 2016.
I'm up over 100% now plus 7% dividend which is automatically reinvested.
$10k is now about $37k, earning $2.5k per year. I'm just going to let it "grow."
It's in Roth account, no taxes.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anothermisanthrope] [#28]
Yes - a REIT that pays ~7.5% div. IIPR beat by minutes.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/IIPR
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#29]
No, it will just go up in smoke.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Krauss:
Look at the legal markets. Most of them are collapsing under goverment regulation and taxes.

Ymmv.
View Quote

Bulk MJ is up at the border, a lot of it is destined to weed legal states to avoid the taxation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Absolutely not. Price of pot is bottoming out and the market is extremely saturated. Too many hands in the pot (pun intended) and they are losing money hand over fist. Planet 13 n LV alone is losing something like 40k PER DAY currently.
Click me
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Ymmv.
View Quote

I heard you could invest in Somali pirates.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I have heard the industry with having to pay it's cut to the state can't compete with the street so people just buy their weed local with no .gov involvement.

When you try to run a business with the government as your partner it is never a win for you.

Not to mention it is really not a redeemable business.  It helps ruin people.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought a couple hundred shares of MSOS in the mid $5s. It's been doing pretty well since then. Have made extra money selling calls on it.

Individual pot stocks? No way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#35]
With a totally open southern border, why would anyone pay extra from the pot shop when they can buy it tax free with no penalty for possession in many states? Seems like the "legal" weed market has some pretty solid competition.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#36]
will, can, and did.

they are largely Pump and Dump and I have lost money. Not as much as I'd spend on booze, so why not dabble (see what I did there?) in penny stock horeseshit
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Meathook:

Not to mention it is really not a redeemable business.  It helps ruin people.
View Quote

No no, it's completely non-habbit forming that causes no lung damage or other negative impacts at all, and even cures cancer.  That's what we were all told, right?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Saturated market. There's a weed store every mile around here and even more billboards.

NO
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#39]
No.

Once it is legal at the Federal level the big corporations will quickly dominate the market.

There is no way that large companies and big agriculture are going to allow it be legalized at the federal level without insuring their advantage.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#40]
NO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope, weed should remain illegal and legalizing it has nothing to do with freedom. Corrupt politicians only want to legalize it in order get their hands on more tax money so they can piss it away.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I think that big tobacco will either snuff them out or take over the operation. MJ will not have the cash to battle big tobacco. My guess is tobacco companies view MJ as a threat to their cigarettes. It's not like many people are going to smoke a cig and a joint at the same time. For every joint smoked, at least one less cig will be consumed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I will tell you my experience from what I know.

And I will provide you a better option that directly correlates with the weed industry but is also separate from the weed industry.

So first,  no,  do not invest unless you know something no one else does about a specific weed stock. Every one of the major weed stocks has done poorly overall so far in the long run. Sure plenty of people made money, short term gains etc, but overall long term, no.
Lots of reasons why, but in several years of investing in probably the top 10 traded weed options,  They all have done poorly long term.  

So, here is my recommendation.  Scott's Miracle Grow. When the weed market does well, or it finally booms as many thought it would, Scotts will go up. SMG is used by weed growers.

Also Scotts is one of the #1 fertilizer providers and has done well overall because of that. It is projected to continue to do well.
SMG, also pays a quarterly dividend as well paid out to you, the shareholder.

I like taking risks, but weed stocks is not the one to take currently in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#44]
If you think those are the people running corporate marijuana you are sorely mistaken.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Lol, watch the feds declare all profits to be proceeds from criminal activity, cockslap folks with rico charges, and confiscate everything.

Tell me they wouldn’t.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By rb889:
Lol, watch the feds declare all profits to be proceeds from criminal activity, cockslap folks with rico charges, and confiscate everything.

Tell me they wouldn’t.
View Quote

They haven't yet.  My opinion is that they won't.  Congress is more likely to re-schedule cannabis rather than trying to continue a losing war.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#47]
C
Originally Posted By PaladinM1911:
Until the Feds settle the status of weed, no way. Gray area investments, no bueno.
View Quote

Concur.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
Not until it's federally legal, and the growers and sellers can use banks.
View Quote

Correct.  At that point, there will be weed mutual funds where only the big players play and it could be very profitable.  Or, the investment could go up in smoke, so I wouldn't invest a lot in it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Ymmv.
View Quote
When has Gov't regulation ever produced a winner???

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ShermiesRule:
I think that big tobacco will either snuff them out or take over the operation. MJ will not have the cash to battle big tobacco. My guess is tobacco companies view MJ as a threat to their cigarettes. It's not like many people are going to smoke a cig and a joint at the same time. For every joint smoked, at least one less cig will be consumed.
View Quote

I can never tell if posts like this are for real or satire here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top