Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2024 11:37:06 PM EDT
Short story-  Have been hired multiple times throughout my career to either start a business or increase sales.  Have succeeded every time with large margins.  Currently have 2 small companies and they are maxed out with capacity but know I can do more but with high interest and price of commercial real estate my hands are tied.  I'm not happy, it's affecting my marriage, if I don't see growth I see it as a failure.  Have explored other revenue streams and they don't make much sense right now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like burnout
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the economy is going south and we will all have to make deep personal sacrifices in the months ahead.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#3]
You seem spoiled.  

I don't mean in a bad or entitled way, just that you're used to things going your way and now they're not.  This happens.

Have you read 'Who Moved My Cheese'?

Edit- How old are you?  I went through the same shock at about 28-30.  Life was all success, one stair after another from grade school through undergrad and into my career...then WHAM.  Merger.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
You seem spoiled.  

I don't mean in a bad or entitled way, just that you're used to things going your way and now they're not.  This happens.

View Quote
Have not but just checked and it's free on audible.  Maybe I should rephrase and say I'm not talking white collar jobs.  I would always put my heart and soul into something until it maxes out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
No new speed boat for you!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By LasagnaParty:
Have not but just checked and it's free on audible.  Maybe I should rephrase and say I'm not talking white collar jobs.  I would always put my heart and soul into something until it maxes out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
You seem spoiled.  

Bud, I getcha and I revised my earlier post to be a little softer.

Getting into a pattern of success will definitely provide some harsh realities.  These are the ebbs and flows of life.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AZ_Gun_Nut:
No new speed boat for you!
View Quote
The 40' Donzi is kinda slow.  Piss off.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Getting into a pattern of success will definitely provide some harsh realities.  These are the ebbs and flows of life.
View Quote
Sub 10 Mil companies.  Rocked every single one.  Struck out on my own and holding my own but not pulling those types of numbers but have 1/10 of expenses.

I get what you are trying to say.  Life is boring though lol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Sub 10 Mil companies.  Rocked every single one.  Struck out on my own and holding my own but not pulling those types of numbers but have 1/10 of expenses.

View All Quotes

There's certainly a learning curve there!

Don't let boring be evil.  BTDT, the tee shirt is not worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Op quit being a faggot. Run your household well, lead the ship. Keep your house happy with your wife getting some of what she wants, most of what she needs and she give the same to you.

Don't burden her with this bs you are the man it's your job to deal with the stress, and soldier on. If she ain't good then sell one or both business. Most buy a job. Just over broke from their business. If it isn't easy lucrative and fun. Why are you doing it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
Op quit being a faggot. Run your household well, lead the ship. Keep your house happy with your wife getting some of what she wants, most of what she needs and she give the same to you.

Don't burden her with this bs you are the man it's your job to deal with the stress, and soldier on. If she ain't good then sell one or both business. Most buy a job. Just over broke from their business. If it isn't easy lucrative and fun. Why are you doing it.
View Quote
Lol. $ and knowing I can do more. There is a good argument her job is more stressful working for someone else.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Have any hobbies?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
Have any hobbies?
View Quote
At a time I did.  Now I just deal with resentment lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Lol. $ and knowing I can do more. There is a good argument her job is more stressful working for someone else.
View Quote
Then, stretch.   Gamble.   Take a risk.

Acquire whatever it is that will allow you to take the next step.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
I think the economy is going south and we will all have to make deep personal sacrifices in the months ahead.
View Quote
this. good luck man. most people dont realize its already started.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#18]
want a loan for biz venture?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Then, stretch.   Gamble.   Take a risk.

Acquire whatever it is that will allow you to take the next step.
View Quote
That's the rub.  I can take the next step but that will involve investors and another layer of stress.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#20]
That's the rub.  I can take the next step but that will involve investors and another layer of stress.
View Quote
Yeah, that's adulthood- where compensation is directly related to your ability to handle stress.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By swolliepop:
want a loan for biz venture?
View Quote
Tittie bar that serves authentic CT pizze, PA cheesesteaks, Canadian poutine, and bands 3 nights a week?  Call me!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#22]
What were you doing for the companies that you did not own that you are not doing for the company that you own?

I am guessing there is something in the dynamic that you are missing.  Owning comes with its own bonds.  Maybe ?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Woodsman20:
What were you doing for the companies that you did not own that you are not doing for the company that you own?

I am guessing there is something in the dynamic that you are missing.  Owning comes with its own bonds.  Maybe ?
View Quote
Much smaller scale on both.  Profitable on both in the first year but almost maxed out.  Running great numbers but I need something else.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Get a new hobby or something.  If the time isn't right to grow find something else to do while your shit is stable at least.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
Get a new hobby or something.  If the time isn't right to grow find something else to do while your shit is stable at least.
View Quote
Fighting insurance companies is draining.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#26]
now it's not so much about extreme consistent growth as it is about surviving and getting the company as healthy as possibly to start buying shit up and expanding as everyone else collapses.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Live to work

Work to live

Figure out which category you fall into and pursue it. My experience is if you live to work you will burn out or once you retire you will die emotionally and then physically soon thereafter.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:05:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooter66] [#28]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#29]
My only advice is to not tie your personal happiness into what you do for a living. Don't fuck up your overall life because you're unhappy with one aspect of it.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I’m very happy with my career choice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
I'm very happy with my career choice.
View Quote
Very happy for you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Short story-  Have been hired multiple times throughout my career to either start a business or increase sales.  Have succeeded every time with large margins.  Currently have 2 small companies and they are maxed out with capacity but know I can do more but with high interest and price of commercial real estate my hands are tied.  I'm not happy, it's affecting my marriage, if I don't see growth I see it as a failure.  Have explored other revenue streams and they don't make much sense right now.
View Quote

Mental illness.

No, seriously. Talk to a therapist. It WILL help.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#33]
Here's my advice, maybe I read it wrong "I've been hired"

Stop burning yourself out to make others money. I've been through the business that hired me, increased sales exponentially, been told they want to be comfortable and not make more money.. so when I made them a lot of money they almost acted annoyed and treated me like shit. But when that money came in. They couldn't stop buying more and more expensive toys and telling everyone how successful they've become.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
My only advice is to not tie your personal happiness into what you do for a living. Don't fuck up your overall life because you're unhappy with one aspect of it.

View Quote
I'll add to this... op none of these businesses who you helped will really be there for when you need it. Let's say you get a divorce or a bad illness, they won't be there to help you. Don't put your entire worth and life into any for profit company, I think you won't find that capitalism reciprocates or cares about your well being.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Agreed.

Whether trump or biden wins in November it doesn’t matter. The powers that be don’t like trump and biden will be a lame duck. Every measure being used to prop up our failed economy is going to be let go and this economy's cheerleaders are going to have a rude awakening when suddenly their unrealized wealth plummets and they’re out of a job.

Something is coming.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:29:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like you get your self worth from your job. Maybe a little step back and evaluating your life as a whole is in order?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
Sounds like you get your self worth from your job. Maybe a little step back and evaluating your life as a whole is in order?
View Quote
Trying.  Woke up my young son at 4am to watch glimmers of the northern lights, made him breakfast, and now watching Fallout.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

View Quote

This bears repeating. I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#39]
If high interest rates and cost of commercial real estate are tying your hands then you're probably not doing as well as you think.

Let's start there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#40]
#1- Focus on bottom line instead of top line.
#2- For now, leasing is probably a better option than buying/building
#3- Diversify products/services to have a larger customer base
#4- Mine existing customer base for additional business/revenue opportunities

FYI, any fixed rate loans you currently have that are less than 4.5% interest are an asset instead of a liability.
Any excess cash flow should be plowed into a money market account, don’t leave money sitting in a dumbass checking account.

I own several businesses, so speaking from experience.

-ZA
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:49:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#41]
Get better at squeezing the money out of customers and not the businesses.  It’s easy to rob the business for profit, it’s art to get it from the clients.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like you are trying to prove yourself to someone and you're willing to go scorched earth on your well-being to prove your worth to someone, probably a parent or something. Could be an ex that didn't think you measured up. You should read The Great Gatsby.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:57:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#43]
I’ve always been taught that if your business isn’t growing, it’s failing.

What I’ve found to be the reality is that there a time/stress/money factor that some times, being content is the way to go.  What I was always taught turned out to be a lie.  I currently work roughly 1 day a week, or 8 hours.  I am out of the country having run for nearly 1/4 of the year.  I am at every single kids event.  My wife and I go out all the time together and enjoy life.  I have quite literally zero stress in my life.  I  sell a couple jobs and have my employees do the rest, or outsource everything else.

Could the company grow?  Easily.  Is it worth the stress when I have enough to be happy?  Or is it worth the stress for the next 5-10 year to grow exponentially, yet miss out on these 5-10 years of my prime life?

My point is, maybe instead of growth, focus on profit.  With profit may come growth.  And with profit, it will be easier to scale up.  Don’t stress that you’re not growing a company “enough” if there are ways to make them more comfortable, self reliant, and profitable.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
It's more than just the economy -
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ThrustMyStoma:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThrustMyStoma:

But there is always someone making money. And people always think it’s people with money which is true. But every year there are new people added to the millionaires club that had no previous affiliation.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#46]
im self employed.  

try not to let business consume you.  its hard, because its what we do.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Try this:

Start a small business of your own. Probably something on-line.

Try to run it completely out of ONE single file carrier box....

Your only asset is a computer and a printer.

I am serious.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#48]
I just quit my executive tech job due to burnout. Looking forward to spending the summer with my family instead. Maybe you should do something similar. There's more to life than the constant grind.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#49]
You are a founder.  You have a psychological need to find and capitalize on opportunities.

The business cycle is a thing.  Hunting squirrels is a let down if you are used to hunting elephants.  Squirrels do put meat on the table when there are no elephants.

It is a lot easier to work with OPM.  When your on your own, it's all you.  That brings on a lot of different stressors.

You mentioned interest rates.  It sounds like you can't grow your business without more capital.  What scares you about investors, loosing control?

I hear you OP.  Entrepreneurship is a roller coaster.  It is particularly hard if your on your own.  Do associate with other entrepreneurs?  Do you have a support network?  If you have empires in the brain, associate with others who dream of empires.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
You seem spoiled.  

Put your heart and soul into your marriage, not your work.

Your wife and kids won’t care about your business ventures when you’re gone, but they’ll remember the time you invested in them, or the lack of..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top