Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly, Tripp mags hold the rounds up a little higher than most, so the angle of the round going into the chamber is lessened. Basically the round is not angled up as much and in your gun might not contact up high on the hood.

That's probably the simplest thing to try, but it could one of a number of things.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, Tripp mags hold the rounds up a little higher than most, so the angle of the round going into the chamber is lessened. Basically the round is not angled up as much and in your gun might not contact up high on the hood.

That's probably the simplest thing to try, but it could one of a number of things.
View Quote

Still waiting on my Wolff springs to get here. If they don't work I may order some Tripp mags.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My Wolff mag springs showed up. I changed them in two 8 round CMC Powermags then cycled some factory rounds through it. They cycled perfectly but I again won't officially know until I get it to the range.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
OK finally got it out to the range after changing the mag springs. It ran a lot better. I managed to put 90 rounds of Perfecta 230 grain and Winchester White box 230 grain through it. I did have two failure to feeds though. Another weird thing it did twice was as soon as I inserted the mag the slide would drop by itself.

My friend tried to shoot it with one of his mags and it wouldn't run at all. What do I need look at now to figure out the weird slide dropping on mag insert and what do I need to look at to get it to run on run of the mill mags?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK finally got it out to the range after changing the mag springs. It ran a lot better. I managed to put 90 rounds of Perfecta 230 grain and Winchester White box 230 grain through it. I did have two failure to feeds though. Another weird thing it did twice was as soon as I inserted the mag the slide would drop by itself.

My friend tried to shoot it with one of his mags and it wouldn't run at all. What do I need look at now to figure out the weird slide dropping on mag insert and what do I need to look at to get it to run on run of the mill mags?
View Quote

Check to make sure your slide catch engages fully

Also, check to see if bullets are hitting your slide stop on the inside. Could be causing your jams.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a similar issue and found it was catching the rim of the cartridge on the sharp firing pin hole.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Check to make sure your slide catch engages fully
https://www.1911forum.com/attachments/20191128_111924_1574958308041-jpg.568660/

Also, check to see if bullets are hitting your slide stop on the inside. Could be causing your jams.
https://www.1911forum.com/attachments/20130425_230114-jpg.98724/
View Quote

Quoted:
I had a similar issue and found it was catching the rim of the cartridge on the sharp firing pin hole.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check these.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]
@yamahawarrior89

Just checked and the cartridges in the magazine do interfere with the slide catch so much so that they are being pushed to the right slightly. I'm guessing I'm going to have to sand down the slide catch a little? Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
File it down, otherwise you're gonna be there for a long time with sandpaper.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  @yamahawarrior89

... the cartridges in the magazine do interfere with the slide catch so much so that they are being pushed to the right slightly. I'm guessing I'm going to have to sand down the slide catch a little?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:  @yamahawarrior89

... the cartridges in the magazine do interfere with the slide catch so much so that they are being pushed to the right slightly. I'm guessing I'm going to have to sand down the slide catch a little?
Quoted:
Truth.  

Once you've formed and smoothed the hump, I like EGW's raised-shelf magazine catch.  It positions a magazine as high as it's going in the frame, limited by the front or magazine floor plate "Toe."  It's just a couple of thousandths, but I've had guns of all brands hold the magazine just a "Shoshi" low.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@yamahawarrior89

Just checked and the cartridges in the magazine do interfere with the slide catch so much so that they are being pushed to the right slightly. I'm guessing I'm going to have to sand down the slide catch a little? https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417902/PXL_20211101_203013700_jpg-2151461.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417902/PXL_20211101_202847932_jpg-2151462.JPG
View Quote

Use a file or a Dremel (that's what I used). Clean up with sand paper and re-blue.

Put an empty mag in there before filing and you'll see how much the follower engages the mag catch. That way you'll see how much you can remove. You still want it to engage the follower, just not the bullet. Maybe even put one round in the mag and then you can see how much to remove to clear the bullet but still engage the follower.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
Truth.  

Once you've formed and smoothed the hump, I like EGW's raised-shelf magazine catch.  It positions a magazine as high as it's going in the frame, limited by the front or magazine floor plate "Toe."  It's just a couple of thousandths, but I've had guns of all brands hold the magazine just a "Shoshi" low.
View Quote

Quoted:

Use a file or a Dremel (that's what I used). Clean up with sand paper and re-blue.

Put an empty mag in there before filing and you'll see how much the follower engages the mag catch. That way you'll see how much you can remove. You still want it to engage the follower, just not the bullet. Maybe even put one round in the mag and then you can see how much to remove to clear the bullet but still engage the follower.
View Quote

Yes, I meant file. I'll take a little off the catch. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a number stamped inside of the slide stop?

1 = .45ACP; 2 = .22 LR (Ace), 3 = .38 / 9, 4 = .40S&W

The actual part contacting the magazine follower, to activate the slide stop, is slightly different for each number. It may just be a matter of the right slide stop.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is there a number stamped inside of the slide stop?

1 = .45ACP; 2 = .22 LR (Ace), 3 = .38 / 9, 4 = .40S&W

The actual part contacting the magazine follower, to activate the slide stop, is slightly different for each number. It may just be a matter of the right slide stop.
View Quote

I do not believe so. I’ll check when I get home from work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
@Glynn863

The slide catch does not have any numbers on it.

I filed down the area where it was catching the cartridges and it seems to cycle better. But I won't know until I get to the range. I also noticed the rounded edge on the top of it could be filed a little bit as it doesn't come up all the way when it engages so I'll need to work on that as well.

The other thing I noticed is that my plunger tube is loose. I thought I had staked it well but guess not. So, this weekend I'll be restaking the tube.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Glynn863

I filed down the area where it was catching the cartridges and it seems to cycle better. But I won't know until I get to the range. I also noticed the rounded edge on the top of it could be filed a little bit as it doesn't come up all the way when it engages so I'll need to work on that as well.

The other thing I noticed is that my plunger tube is loose. I thought I had staked it well but guess not. So, this weekend I'll be restaking the tube.
View Quote
You got the tool?  If not, and you're rigging something up to do it, add some loctite at the same time for some double redundancy.  I knew of one person, not a pro builder just an average Joe, who used superglue gel and never had any issues with his competition guns.  So YMMV
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You got the tool?  If not, and you're rigging something up to do it, add some loctite at the same time for some double redundancy.  I knew of one person, not a pro builder just an average Joe, who used superglue gel and never had any issues with his competition guns.  So YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Glynn863

Yes, I have the tool. I was actually thinking I should’ve put a little lock tight on it when I originally did it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top