Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well mine came back from Smith last week - they replaced the slide assembly no charge. This seems to have fixed the light hits & now it runs 100%.

As I already own 2 Glock .40's (22 & 35) I got to break it to everyone - this is a better performing pistol that a Glock. See my comments above; the grip shape & angle is FAR more comfortable, the beavertail prevents slide cuts, and the steel mags insert/drop WAY better.

I can live with the yellow takedown lever & magazine safety to get the other improvements.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Great review, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No one wanted the mag disconnect, also STUPID. If I had one round in the pipe and no mag, I want to be able to USE IT.

The argument in support of magazine disconnect generally is that, if you are in a fight for your gun, you want to be able to disable it (provided you don't have enough control to shoot the attacker) and a magazine disconnect is an easy way to do that. I don't agree with that agrument, I'd also rather have the ability to fire without a mag. But I can see the merits of the other side.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Had one FTF.  Primer dented.  Tried to fire same round in Glock 27.  It also experienced FTF.  Diagnosis = faulty ammunition.

This has been confirmed.  The cartridge's primer lacked an anvil.  This is the only problem I've ever encountered in ~15k of Q4238.  I think a failure rate of .000067 is pretty good.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The bottom of my trigger finger rubs against the interior bottom of the trigger guard when I shoot live ammo. This is uncomfortable. The other shooter with me today did not experience this at all, while I experienced it consistently. I believe it's due to a combination of my grip style and the grip angle of the gun--I don't experience this with my Glock 22.

That's funny.  This is my complaint with the Glocks - the bottom of the trigger guard rubs a hole in my finger after a few hundred rounds.   Interesting that you experienced it with the M&P.

Crap. That is the only reason I ditched Glock, and it looks like M&P ain't in the cards for me either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I just received the March '06 American Rifleman.  I guess my review is full of crap.  Their reviewer wrote, "After putting dozens of magazines full of .40 S&W ammo through the gun, I hold the opinion that this creation of polymer and steel shoots significantly better than its contemporaries." [p.38]

Let's see, 15 rounds per magazine * "dozens" of mags, let's say three dozen, = 540 rounds.  Way to push the gun to its limits.  Nothing like really giving the thing a thorough once-over before proclaiming every other gun inferior.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Durability questions:

During today's session the same roll pin kept walking to the left, knocked it back into place twice.

I have the same problem with my taurus 24/7 .45

Strange...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just received the March '06 American Rifleman.  I guess my review is full of crap.  Wiley Clapp says, "After putting dozens of magazines full of .40 S&W ammo through the gun, I hold the opinion that this creation of polymer and steel shoots significantly better than its contemporaries." [p.38]

Let's see, 15 rounds per magazine * "dozens" of mags, let's say three dozen, = 540 rounds.  Way to push the gun to its limits.  Nothing like really giving the thing a thorough once-over before proclaiming every other gun inferior.  

Yah no shit eh.

At least someone pushed it a good bit and reported what they found and what they thought of it in relation to the intended end user and end use of the gun, that being LE. I know it's a dirty, tireless, no fun job shooting all that ammo up and evaluating the gun, but someone had to do it and for that we thank you. But next time, let the rest of the crew in on it.
On second thought, maybe not, we probably would have broke it then you'd have to explain to S&W why thier gun came back in multiple pieces.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But next time, let the rest of the crew in on it.

I did, at DETC's cold-weather handgun session.  I even provided the ammo.  That'll teach you to skip out on training  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But next time, let the rest of the crew in on it.

I did, at DETC's cold-weather handgun session.  I even provided the ammo.  That'll teach you to skip out on training  

Damn I missed my chance to break a gun!!!

I'll blame it on the boss since she wouldn't let me off of work for the class.

I'll be at cold weather carbine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#11]
bump to keep this out of the archive for a while yet
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I've shot a couple and liked them, but I would wait until the real market uses them for some time to pronounce them better than the rest. Might be a NJSP/SW99 fiasco in the M&P's future?

The Glocks are good guns. They have issues (all do), but they have also been issued by the FBI, DEA, and USMS for several yrs now. Going to take sumthin' like that to make a believer outta me.

The walking pin and peening sound familiar. The early Glock 40s did the same. The walking pin was fixed early on, the peening just recently. The Glock peening did not matter; don't know yet if the M&P peening matters...

Extensive T&Es are nifty, but even then ya takes your chances... Beretta beat all comers in the 94 and 99 INS/BP trials. SIG and HK beat all comers in the 04 DHS trials. I know ICE/CBP guys w the new SIGs and HKs who would rather have Glocks regardless of what the trial results were...

Viva la differance!

Get what ya like, or flip a coin and like what ya get. ;)

BTW, S&W has contracted to sell over 70,000 Sigmas to the US Army for use by allies in just the last year or so. I would say that's "selling like hotcakes".

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
When I see a MP40, I see a hyped up Sigma.........
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

BTW, S&W has contracted to sell over 70,000 Sigmas to the US Army for use by allies in just the last year or so. I would say that's "selling like hotcakes".

Ruger also sold weapons to the US Army TRADOC.  And the current sidearm is the Beretta.  I wouldnt say US Army sales dictate a good weapon by any means...

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Great review
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Excellent report. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#17]
bump for a good review
Link Posted: 5/12/2006 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#18]
5/12 update in initial post
Link Posted: 5/13/2006 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Glenn,

This thread is great!  Please keep up the great work buddy.  Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,

Justin
Link Posted: 5/30/2006 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
According to the sales rep, the department price of this gun will be the same as Glock.  I didn't ask about retail sales.

My local LE dealer has them for $525 with nightsights (NO internal lock & NO Mag disconnect). Should I pick one up at this price???
Link Posted: 5/31/2006 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks for the great review

I'll second that
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#22]
bump to keep this out of the archive for a while yet
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top