Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2024 9:26:43 PM EDT
I made the mistake of perusing my LGS used guns section on the way home from work today and discovered they have a 1903 Pocket Hammer in .38 ACP for about $900. Hadn’t seen one of these before. I was already thinking about picking up a Pocket Hammerless, but the Pocket Hammer speaks to me in that it’s de facto ambidextrous (I’m a lefty). Looking at Gunbroker though I’m not seeing nearly as many Pocket Hammer pistols as Pocket Hammerless, and the ones I am finding are generally all above a thousand dollars. Does that mean there’s something wrong with the one at my LGS? Are these good pistols?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
They were very good pistols in their day.  That day was over a century ago, though.  Not much .38 ACP ammunition around these days.  It will chamber and fire .38 Super, which is too hot for it.  The only thing holding the slide on the barrel is a tiny key, which has been known to break and let the slide come backwards, off the frame, and hit whatever is behind it, usually the shooter.
I am not sure there are springs available for it, and I am always leery of century old springs.  Other parts are likewise difficult to find.
It is great for collecting, shows what was going on in the mind of John M. Browning before the 1911.  It is not very practical for use in today's world.  At least that is what I kept telling myself the last time I saw one for sale.  It worked, I didn't buy it.  Probably a good move since I have a couple of .38 Supers and a 9x23mm Winchester.  Definitely don't want the last one getting fired in a .38ACP.

If you do decide to buy it, you can load .38 ACP level loads in .38 Super brass, no problem.  I even have some load data around here some where.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t handload. It’d mostly be a collector, probably actually shoot a few dozen rounds per year
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grendelbane] [#3]
Maybe you have already seen this.  Othais tells about the M1903 pocket hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfSII6Pd0o&t=7s
@Rudukai13
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
I don’t handload. It’d mostly be a collector, probably actually shoot a few dozen rounds per year
View Quote

If you plan on shooting it at all you'll need to handload. I don't think anyone makes or sells 38 ACP anymore, and even if they did would you trust them to not just have relabeled 38 Super?

Admittidly old school 38 Super was a lot hotter than most current commerical 38 Super (current loads are actually closer to 38ACP than 38 Super, which was originally 130gr@1300fps), but still...it's a huge risk otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I think the impulse on this purchase has passed. Damn it was tempting for a bit there though…
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top