Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2023 2:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettysburg30]
I have a 1903 .32 dates from 1922 issue is when racking the slide, hammer doesn't want to cock or stay cocked

I got this gun from my dad after he passed, was most likely my grandfathers. Any ideas on what it could be?   i know they are a bear to put back together.  sear/safety springs are tough  to get right now. Not sure if it could be the hammer or sear itself. I haven't taken it apart yet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
took it apart, it was assembled incorrectly sear was installed backwards, functions fine now. PITA to put back together though
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear you got it back to being functional!  Fun handguns.  Dad had one with wood grips when I was a kid 60 years ago and the high polish blue made back when bluing was actually blue was awesome!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:58:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gettysburg30] [#3]
took it to the range last week, functions well now. bluing is probably 80% with some blemishes probably hasn't been shot for over 50 years cool gun very accurate from 10m. Need to find  a good holster for it now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, and congrats on figuring out the problem!

Also, pro tip...the pin at the bottom of the frame that holds the grip safety in is the same size pin that holds the sear assembly in, under the thumb safety. And depending on your gun, it may be a tiny bit longer. Which will drive you nuts when you reassemble with the pins switched, because either the right side grip will be pushed out, or more likely the pin will stick out the left side and block the thumb safety from moving down
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top