Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2024 10:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CSIGunNut]
Was bored and went to the fun store to check out single stack 1911 9mm commander size guns.  I've got a Staccato P and C2.  The grips are just a tad big for me and not near as comfortable as my Commander size 1911 grips.  I ended up walking out with this guy.  Colt Custom Carry Commander in 9mm.  What are good magazines for 9mm commander size guns?  Also, are single stack 9mm 1911 guns generally compatible with magazines?

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Ruger LW Commander size 9mm 1911.  I have Ruger, Colt, Wilson and McCormick magazines.  All of them work but they all seem to have trouble with the top round sliding forward to the point of coming out of the magazine and flopping around loose, creating feeding problems.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  My wife carries a Dan Wesson Spec Commander in 9mm as her EDC.  She loves it
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have several single stack 9mm 1911’s. None are picky about mags. Ammunition yes but magazines no
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
Here's my Tisas 9mm for the poors, on the bottom

https://i.imgur.com/jnFZ2Ov.jpg?2

View Quote

I actually went to look at the Tisas they had but the curvy blonde had to throw the Colt out at me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Jealous. That’s a good colt, congrats!

I like Ed brown mags, and used them in my colt commander 9mm without issue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Another question regarding magazines.  How do you tell difference, if there is even one, between mags for government size and commander size?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CSIGunNut:
Another question regarding magazines.  How do you tell difference, if there is even one, between mags for government size and commander size?
View Quote

great looking gun.

goverment is full slide, full grip
commander is short slide, full grip
officer is short (or shorter) slide, short grip.

gov and cmd mags should be the same
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m pretty happy with my Bul 9mm Commander. I use McCormick 10 round mags that I picked up here on the EE and they work great!

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:57:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4nut] [#11]
Originally Posted By CSIGunNut:
Was bored and went to the fun store to check out single stack 1911 9mm commander size guns.  I've got a Staccato P and C2.  The grips are just a tad big for me and not near as comfortable as my Commander size 1911 grips.  I ended up walking out with this guy.  Colt Custom Carry Commander in 9mm.  What are good magazines for 9mm commander size guns?  Also, are single stack 9mm 1911 guns generally compatible with magazines?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471579/Colt_Custom_Carry_Commander_9mm__1_-3116291.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471579/Colt_Custom_Carry_Commander_9mm__2_-3116292.jpg
View Quote
Congrats.

I've had stellar results with Ed Brown mags.  In fact, if you have old mags, you can send them to EB, for a trade in.

Magazine exchange program.

They work well in my Springer Champ 9mm, and my newly acquired DW Guardian 9mm.  Never a single mag issue while shooting.

The Springfield:

The DW:

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice pickup! I have been using Wilson combat etm mags they seem to do the job.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By badguybuster:
Nice.  My wife carries a Dan Wesson Spec Commander in 9mm as her EDC.  She loves it
View Quote

They need to reintroduce that model.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice.  

Man, those are pricy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:23:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#15]
Looks like a cool piece with a lot of good parts on it. If it's a commander any of the popular full size mags will fit. I never had a gun with that Stan Chen magwell setup but any of the popular 10rd mags should work fine. I bought the Brownells mags for my RIA and they worked great. I think there are some mag gun combos that have interference with the ejector but don't remember the details.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
A SA Compact 9mm I had for edc a while back. I have also owned a Kimber stainless 5" 9mm and a Carry Pro 9mm.
I had to send it back to SA because they put a 45ACP rear sight on it and point of aim was way off.

Any new magazines purchased were brushed stainless mfg'd. by Checkmate and back aways could be found for a good price on ebay.
They were OEM for Kimber.

I have a like new shiny 9mm, 8rd compact stainless in my spare parts with Kimber logo if anyone is interested.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Weste:All of them work but they all seem to have trouble with the top round sliding forward to the point of coming out of the magazine and flopping around loose, creating feeding problems.
View Quote
You might want to pick up a Mec-Gar MGCGOV910AFC 10 rnd 9mm magazine to try.  It uses a forward spacer rather than the common rear spacer.  See this LINK for my evaluation of this magazine.

You can see in the picture below how the forward spacer is formed by bending the tube to form a channel at the front of the tube.  On the inside of the tube the channel creates a feed ramp that appears to be the secret to the reliability of this mag's feeding characteristics.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow 17 posts and no one has come in and said, "1911's should only shoot muh .45."  

I bought my first 9mm 1911 this year, and it's a lot of fun to shoot. I'm sad that I didn't get one much sooner.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
Wow 17 posts and no one has come in and said, "1911's should only shoot muh .45."  

I bought my first 9mm 1911 this year, and it's a lot of fun to shoot. I'm sad that I didn't get one much sooner.
View Quote

The tech forums are a lot more civil and a much higher likelihood of it being an actual shooter so they appreciate 9mm for what it is.......The superior shooting caliber for any platform especially a 1911
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Great choice! I thought all the 9mm Custom Carry Limiteds had front cocking serrations. I was about to pull the trigger on one in 45 due to that.

Did the lgs have any more in 9mm?

Enjoy the new Colt!
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RJH1911:
Great choice! I thought all the 9mm Custom Carry Limiteds had front cocking serrations. I was about to pull the trigger on one in 45 due to that.

Did the lgs have any more in 9mm?

Enjoy the new Colt!
View Quote

I do wish it had the front slide serrations.  They had a second one but sold it the day prior to me getting mine.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice, I have one of those but mine does have the front serrations. I've tried a bunch of 9mm mags and all of them (so far) feed/function fine - but avoid Wilson Combats. They sit so high up that they contact the ejector, and you don't even need to slam it in in order to see the contact. You might be able to relieve the underside of the ejector, but...it's not worth it IMO. I like the McCormick (sold by Wilson) 9mm mags, as well as the Metalform "Springfield"-style mags...the main thing is, the more rounds in the mag, the more the rounds will want to nose down on top. So 9 round mags are about the highest cap you want in a single stack, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:33:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Run CMC and Wilson 10 rounders, run great in my Ronin LW Commander and my Garrison.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice looking gun OP.   I run Mec-gar brand in my Vigil and they have been fine.  I added a Stan-Chen magwell to the gun, so I need to find a decent bumper pad for the 2 DW magazines I have that came with it.  

" />

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#25]
That's really nice OP.

My Commander-size 1911s are .45s.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snuffy19608] [#26]
Stopped at the store across the street from the VA last week and checked out the used case. I was eyeballing a couple Smith autos when I glanced to their left and there was a Charles Daly made in Italy 1911A1 in 9mm.

Hmmmm, I try to keep everything in 9mm except a few .38/357 revolvers, so I asked to see it. Almost new, appeared hardly fired, only downside was smooth aftermarket grips and a nice ding in the middle of the left side of the slide. Took about 5 minutes to check it over and another 5 for paperwork and NCIS. New G10 grips  and Wolffe springs are in the mail, box of MecGar mags arrived yesterday, I'm happy.

NICE GUN OP!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#28]
My single stack Taurus is not a commander but I do love shooting it.  Its not quite as fun to shoot as 45 but it sure is cheaper.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top