Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2023 7:13:41 PM EDT
Trying to identify when and where this came from, buddy just inherited it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.coolgunsite.com/collectors_guide.htm

This is the site I use for reference.

Enjoy!

Wilki
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a 1911A1 carried by an American Badass!
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wilki:
https://www.coolgunsite.com/collectors_guide.htm

This is the site I use for reference.

Enjoy!

Wilki
View Quote

Thanks, trying to decipher the pics now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the page I meant to post.  It helps decipher what parts are on the pistol.

https://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911infopage.htm

Wilki
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that a SA logo stamped on the frame? Third pic from top?

That is bad to the bone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Covering the serial number certainly doesn’t help us help you. Show us the serial number !

It is a colt for sure ( GHD  inspector initials) I can’t recall ( again serial number !!) what serial range the slides ( colt only)  would be serialized to match the frame ( under the firing pin stop) and if the fps is original, usually the reverse image of the number is “ghosted” into that part.

With serial number available can possibly narrow it down to a ship date and destination based on reference books I have
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
Is that a SA logo stamped on the frame? Third pic from top?

That is bad to the bone.
View Quote

No the stamp is the final ordnance acceptance stamp. Has nothing to do with SA
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

My 1911, from the right hand side.  Colt from 1917.  Your mark does look suspiciously like Springfield Armory.  Yours and mine have both been re-arsenalled at least once with the extra markings on the frame.  Mine is a six-digit serial number, dated to early 1917.  Doubt mine was in WW1, but I’d put money on it’s participation in Korea, and possibly Vietnam.

I have a friend who has a very informative book on 1911s.  I’ll share these photos to see what he might be able to offer…

Try here too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
It probably came from the Army.

The serial number is what is needed for any decent ID. The slide horse logo changed thruout the war and the less styled ones tended to be later in the war. While the latter frames were not numbered, there are ways to figure out that the slide is approximately the same year as the slide.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:59:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#10]
Looks like a Colt by the "G" ("Government contract") stamp on the top of the frame deck, and GHD inspector stamp on left side.

Serial number will tell when it was manufactured.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Took it all the way down for him today, I’ll ask if he’s okay with posting the serial number.  Based on the posts and pics it looks like it might be a 1943 or 1944 production based on the proof marks, frame stamps and other stuff.  I don’t think I missed anything, but how that I’ve seen the other pics I can look more carefully.

Thanks guys for the help so far.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 4:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#12]
Reveal partial SN# (hide only last 2 or 3 digits) to us if he has concern sharing the full SN#.
Just look at the photos you provided, appears to be original finish. I would bet it is a 1943 Colt. Please also check:

1. underside of the barrel. The marking on that is critical to determine if the pistol and barrel was from the same time frame
2. Check slide firing pin channel, it should also have a SN# that match to the frame SN# if the pistol was below SN#1,138,xxx range.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top