Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2023 2:08:09 AM EDT
And its been absolutely ruined. Not sure on the backstory on the gun other than someone gave it a deep blue bath and ported the slide and barrel. Numbers matching frame and slide. I think the only things that have been replaced are the beavertail and sights. I am not sure if the barrel is original but its certainly old.

Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:30:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Another-Bill] [#1]
Oh damn, dude what a fucking bummer, what a fucking waste...  so sad that I had to to see this...

Mine, a CMP:

Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
What's their minimum request?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ar154all:
View Quote

It's up to me to price it but I'm 99% positive that I'll buy it off of him. He said it's a nice shooter and I can always use another toy. It's just really sad that out of the 4,696 made in 1940, there can't be many left and this is one of them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By retired_11b:

It's up to me to price it but I'm 99% positive that I'll buy it off of him. He said it's a nice shooter and I can always use another toy. It's just really sad that out of the 4,696 made in 1940, there can't be many left and this is one of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ar154all:

You should see my 1912 unit......  ah well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:04:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

View Quote

Don't leave me hanging.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
My 1940 CMP.

Attachment Attached File

sadly has a RR slide...

That's really sad on that Colt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
If it was in nice unmolested shape, thousands of dollars would be an easy sell.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh...whats done is done...would buy for "cool factor"
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Bullseye gun from the 60's I'd guess.  Pretty common modification.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The Horror!
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

View Quote

You should see my Tisas
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Lose the long barrel, have a new bbl fitted, IMO. The slide is what it is, IMO. Now it's a lightening cut with a solid bbl.  

Someone should get a beating over that, IMO.    
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LittleAugieMo:
Meh...whats done is done...would buy for "cool factor"
View Quote

I'd buy it for the frame, and use it as a base gun for a MEU(SOC) clone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Bullseye gun from the 60's I'd guess.  Pretty common modification.
View Quote

My first thought also…this thing was cut up many years ago when it was no big deal to chop one up. I cant tell you how many chrome jobs on 1911’s I have seen over the years that were done in the 50’s
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
That would have been blued and likely 6K-7K if in nice shape if original.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I would buy it and get the GI parts for the lower, and find a rebuild GI slide , have it all reparked , call it a day???
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By triaxle:
I would buy it and get the GI parts for the lower, and find a rebuild GI slide , have it all reparked , call it a day???
View Quote

It's an originally blued gun and I did buy it. It's more than likely going to Turnbull for a complete restoration back to factory specs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Other than the ported barrel, I think it looks great.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#21]

It's an originally blued gun and I did buy it. It's more than likely going to Turnbull for a complete restoration back to factory specs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By triaxle:

Curious, what did you end up having to pay for it?

I cringe when I see stuff like this but also realize that, back in the days of the DCM, a lot of really rare and nice 1911s passed through the door for $12 or so [plus shipping] and they were just a surplussed pistol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Curious, what did you end up having to pay for it?

I cringe when I see stuff like this but also realize that, back in the days of the DCM, a lot of really rare and nice 1911s passed through the door for $12 or so [plus shipping] and they were just a surplussed pistol.
View Quote

$600 for the gun, original mag and barrel bushing, all blued to match. I think I overpaid a bit but I really dig it the look of it and the history behind it. If I do send it out for restoration, at least I won't have to source parts for it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Going by the evidence of deep pits, it was a rust bucket someone picked up cheap and turned into a race gun/bowling pin gun back in the 50s/60s/70s.

Before I spent a lot of money trying to restore something that has been buffed that far into oblivion, I would take it for a test drive first .  If it performs, just shoot the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
My 1948. Got it on a trade. It wouldn’t cycle and had a green duracote on it. Sent it to nighthawk for their Colt Hawk package. Tastefully done.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#25]
The work looks well done, but I doubt the build is older than the 80's.
The rear sight looks older, but the comp and porting look 80s. It's not an old bullseye gun. Those had to be as issued with allowances for target sights and I don't think the comp and porting were ever CMP or NRA legal.

It looks like a racegun someone had built for a more action oriented shooting sport than bullseye.

Keep in mind that these guns never had the value we ascribe to them today. Even in the 90s and early 2000s you could buy a GI gun cheap.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#26]
That is about 200 numbers in the range of my CMP Colt 1940.

It was Michigan NG all of its life according to army records when I emailed them.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top