Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2024 5:20:05 PM EDT
With just 158gr wadcutter ammo would this take care of business around the house. Would I need a 4" barrel instead. Have an email into the manufacturer to see if I can use +p
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:26:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#1]
I mean, it would be better than not having a gun at all.  2" would not be my first choice.  wadcutters would not be my first choice.  2" barrel would not be my first choice.  38 special would not be my first choice.  Just guessing, but you probably also got something with a whopping 5 rounds on tap.  There's so manything things I would change about that setup.  But at least you got a gun, and thats the first step.

Nobody knows what "around the house" means in your situation.  So the question about would you need a 4" barrel is impossible to answer.  But the answer is probably yes.  4" is better than 2".
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a 2" 357 mag. I dont doubt its capabilities at all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Not my first choice, but plenty of people have used 2" 38s in the last century for just that purpose.  I occasionally carry one myself.  Not the best choice, however.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone has their opinion but if you like it get proficient with it and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
That specific load has been knocking dicks into the dirt for a very long time. It is quite sufficient and manageable to shoot repeatedly and that’s why it’s a classic.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
5 rounds of .38 special out of a 2" barrel? I can think of many better handguns for "around the house", but it's better than no gun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
How about 6 rounds is that any better
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
My Ruger LCR works very well as a “with me anywhere” gun. Any gun you’re carrying is better than none.

At home my USP full size is always within reach. It’ll cover me until I can get to the closest SBR.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't need concealment, a 3'' or 4'' 6 shot would serve you better then a snubbie.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By windham:
View Quote
20%

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
4-6 inch barrel would be optimal for 38+P.

Revolver would not be my first choice for HD application.

When it come to HD and family, carbine beats all handguns.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. But a Glock 19/17/45/19x/47 with a light or a carbine or shotgun with a light would be better. If your only option is a 2" .38 special, then look at buffalo bore and underwood ammo. Speer 135gr +p is good too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:19:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#13]
Don't really like full wadcutters, Keith style 158 gr hollowpoints is a better load for me. (works better with speedloaders)   It'll be fine, 38+P is not needed. Don't worry about the Tactical Timmies trying to get you to spend your entire paycheck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Guess it depends on why you're getting that vs something better for that application but you could also do a lot worse.  Put some Speer Gold Dot Short barrel 135gr (they're listed as +P but also only 860fps), 158gr SWCHPs, standard pressure Buffalo Bore or Double Tap or even decent wad cutters in it and it'll punch holes in meat bags (there are plenty of gel test out there, find whatever meets your specs and works for you/shoots to point of aim).  

Short barrel revolvers are probably one of the hardest guns to actually be proficient with though so practice, practice, practice.  Make sure that your grips with work with whatever speedloaders you have (I prefer the Safarilands, JMHO); wadcutters are more difficult to lead quickly for obvious reasons so I they would not be my choice in a speedloader.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Hope so.  Three stashed around the house. Hard to carry the 1911 in my boxers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#17]
After you filter your way through all the "this is better or that is better" answers, my answer is yes to the 2" house .38, it is fine. Unless of course your hallways are 25-50yds long. Simply look up the stats on how many people have died from the lowly .38 special over the years and go from there.

The bigger is better doesn't work for everything, that's just the way it is in real life. If you send bullets throughout the houses around you because you used to big a gun, then it may be you going to jail along with the moron who broke into your home as well. (if he lives).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I am guessing OP is new to shooting centerfire handguns.

Yes, a snub nose revolver is "good enough" for the kinds of distances found in most home invasion scenarios.

A 38 Special snub nose is also one of the most difficult handguns to shoot well.  Any new shooter is going to struggle with a snubby.  It probably is the last class of guns I would recommend to a new shooter.

The problem is recoil.  A snub can be down right painful to shoot without good technique.  If the owner doesn't like shooting it, they wont.  They wont develop good techniques because they aren't shooting it.  It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Small framed, short barreled handguns are consistently the best selling models in America.  Most gun owners would be better served with a gun full sized grip and barrel between 4 to 5 inches.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
A short barrel has more muzzle flash than a longer barrel.

A short barrel will have less velocity than a longer barrel.

A five shot revolver definitely has lower capacity than a double stacked semi auto.

Reloading a revolver and having a speed loader ready is not easier or faster than having a semi auto and an extra mag.

If someone shines a bright tactical flashlight at somebody else in a low light scenario who does not have a powerful flashlight mounted to the weapon, or a handheld one, guess who is at a disadvantage.

I have lived many years in a very dangerous country with the highest "do not travel" rating from the State Department and have learnt first hand that people are not always disabled from even a dozen COM hits from a handgun. So why would any sensible person that values their own life opt for limitations of their firepower in the comfort of his home, or choose a handgun that is not fast, powerful, and easy to shoot?

Planning for defense is a simple chess game but the moves have to be planned properly and over-confidence is a killer. After many decades of competitive shooting, military training, and prepping I will not take any unnecessary risk but that is something I learnt in the gravest extreme - not on the internet.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ewald:
I am guessing OP is new to shooting centerfire handguns.

Yes, a snub nose revolver is "good enough" for the kinds of distances found in most home invasion scenarios.

A 38 Special snub nose is also one of the most difficult handguns to shoot well.  Any new shooter is going to struggle with a snubby.  It probably is the last class of guns I would recommend to a new shooter.

The problem is recoil.  A snub can be down right painful to shoot without good technique.  If the owner doesn't like shooting it, they wont.  They wont develop good techniques because they aren't shooting it.  It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Small framed, short barreled handguns are consistently the best selling models in America.  Most gun owners would be better served with a gun full sized grip and barrel between 4 to 5 inches.

View Quote

Totally agree. And I suspect the op means 148 wadcutters or 158 SEMI wadcutters ! ?  Plus p in a 2” doesn’t change anything.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:37:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#21]
Originally Posted By captain127:

Totally agree. And I suspect the op means 148 wadcutters or 158 SEMI wadcutters ! ?  Plus p in a 2” doesn’t change anything.
View Quote

It can, slightly, depending on the ammo, but that can also easily by offset by the increased recoil.  With something like Buffalo Bore, again depending on the load, they are still getting between 1000 to a hair over 1100fps out of a 2" barrel with their +P.  Most of your other non +P .38 is in the 750-850fps range out of a 2" and even most big name +P is still under 1000fps even in a 4" gun.  Will that make the difference in a gunfight?  No telling, but if you and your gun can handle it and are proficient with it it's an option if you're trying to get everything you can out of your five shots. Yes, I shoot +P in my short barreled revolvers but not the Buffalo Bore as I don't see enough advantage to beat the gun up since the 642s have been known to break the hammer stud (multiple threads with pictures over the years on the S&W Forum).  I do still have some Buffalo Bore that I use in my 4" K frame guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#22]
My "carry around the house" gun is a Ruger LCR in .38 Special loaded with standard pressure Buffalo Bore 158 grain SWCHP.  I wouldn't call it my "home defense" gun because I have various other shotguns, carbines, and handguns around the house.  The LCR is for if I find myself needing a gun and not being near one of the staged guns.  It is small and light enough that I don't even notice I am carrying it, but always available.

For that application I think a snub revolver is an excellent choice.  For a "do everything" home defense gun I would choose something else, but that doesn't make a snub worthless if that is all one has.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:54:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#23]
Originally Posted By windham:  How about 6 rounds is that any better
View Quote

OP, I sell a lot of the little 2" Rock Island snubs - 6 shots of .38 for cheap.  +P doesn't help out of a 2" barrel - stick to 148 grain wadcutters.  The 4" RIA is even slightly less expensive, and it WILL gain from +P hollowpoints.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

There are MANY better HD guns than a 6 shot .38 Special revolver, even for less money.

20 ga Mossberg Maverick 88 Cruiser is a handy 6 shot HD gun throwing 3/4 oz low recoil slugs at 1350 fps.

HiPoint carbine in anything from 9mm to .45 ACP to 10mm gives you a stock, 16" barrel, 20 round mags or even a drum, and optic & light mounting options for cheap.

Are there training or physical issues restricting a better choice than a .38 revolver?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

It can, slightly, depending on the ammo, but that can also easily by offset by the increased recoil.  With something like Buffalo Bore, again depending on the load, they are still getting between 1000 to a hair over 1100fps out of a 2" barrel with their +P.  Most of your other non +P .38 is in the 750-850fps range out of a 2" and even most big name +P is still under 1000fps even in a 4" gun.  Will that make the difference in a gunfight?  No telling, but if you and your gun can handle it and are proficient with it it's an option if you're trying to get everything you can out of your five shots. Yes, I shoot +P in my short barreled revolvers but not the Buffalo Bore as I don't see enough advantage to beat the gun up since the 642s have been known to break the hammer stud (multiple threads with pictures over the years on the S&W Forum).  I do still have some Buffalo Bore that I use in my 4" K frame guns.
View Quote

Touching off a 38-44 load like youre referencing in a J frame would be absolutely brutal
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By chase45:

Touching off a 38-44 load like youre referencing in a J frame would be absolutely brutal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chase45:
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

I've also got a S&W 360.    Yeah, most painful handgun I own when shooting .357s and not fun with good +P .38s; mine's the 3" version so it does gain a bit velocity wise over the shorter version but I still typically carry .38s in it although I very rarely carry it as the 642 is easier to carry and I'm comfortable with it.  Regular +Ps (not the Buffalo Bore) aren't terrible in the 642 and if you practice a fair amount, not really any slower against a shot timer.  I can't recall shooting any of the Buffalo Bore in the 360 but the most .357s I've put through it back to back is ten rounds and I don't recommend it, especially to anyone not used to shooting heavy recoiling small frame guns.    I typically carry Speer Gold Dot short barrel 135gr +Ps or 158gr SWCHP; if I'm around water the first round is often a CCI shotshell.  

While I prefer revolvers, I don't carry one much anymore except in the woods.  I do make it a point to take at least one with me any time I go shooting though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I wear a 2 inch S&W 38 special when I’m in very light weight clothes or in a non carry friendly environment.  “Around the house” I normally carry easier to use effectively and higher capacity handguns.  Because it’s my house and I have no reason to compromise for concealability.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#27]
A 2" m15 is my wife's bedside gun. It's one of the most accurate handguns we have.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:45:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#28]
View Quote

20% better than 5.

Pairing a wadcutter with that is fine as you have difficulty getting most HP to open up with the velocity you get with 2”.  For the inital load it doesn’t matter that the rounds don’t feed fast.  For a reload on speedloaders you should consider bullet shapes that aid in feeding, like a HP, LRN even a SWC-HP

The question is how well can you shoot that gun?  can you keep them all in a twelve inch circle at 15 yards under stress, rapid fire?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
If you don't need concealment, a 3'' or 4'' 6 shot would serve you better then a snubbie.
View Quote

Agreed.   A 4” would make a better night stand gun.   Then again a full sized modern duty pistol with a light on it would be even better.

If one was actually wearing a gun around the house as a choice I can see the 2” as a comfort thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#30]
With just 158gr wadcutter ammo would this take care of business around the house. Would I need a 4" barrel instead. Have an email into the manufacturer to see if I can use +p
View Quote

So, it seems like you already own it.  First, let me directly answer your question:

YES

Now, with all of that said understand what you have and what you don't.

Barrel length:  The 2" barrel isn't just subpar for developing velocity it also limits your sight radius and makes muzzle flip worse.  This is a substantial part of the reason snubbies are hard to shoot well.  For "around the house" the concealability of a snubby isn't a requirement.
Capacity:  You stated it rolls 6, which is sure better than 5, but again limited.  If I were buying a revolver for HD it would probably be one of those that rolls 7 or 8.  For a 6-shot, I would go with a .45ACP moonclip gun.
Caliber:  Having a .38 Special that maybe shouldn't shoot +P isn't the end of the world but you ARE leaving performance on the table.  For regular pressure defensive rounds I always liked Federal NyClads.
Bullet profile:  Wadcutters and semi-wadcutters are fine for hole-punching but not much more.  That said, given your other limitations, it might be that a hollow-point won't open up much anyway.  Certainly, WC or SWC is a better profile than a round nose!  So you have something here, and maybe about as good as you're gonna get, but again I think you're leaving some performance on the table.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Morne:

So, it seems like you already own it.  First, let me directly answer your question:

YES

Barrel length:  The 2" barrel isn't just subpar for developing velocity it also limits your sight radius and makes muzzle flip worse.  This is a substantial part of the reason snubbies are hard to shoot well.  For "around the house" the concealability of a snubby isn't a requirement.
Capacity:  You stated it rolls 6, which is sure better than 5, but again limited.  If I were buying a revolver for HD it would probably be one of those that rolls 7 or 8.  For a 6-shot, I would go with a .45ACP moonclip gun.
Caliber:  Having a .38 Special that maybe shouldn't shoot +P isn't the end of the world but you ARE leaving performance on the table.  For regular pressure defensive rounds I always liked Federal NyClads.
Bullet profile:  Wadcutters and semi-wadcutters are fine for hole-punching but not much more.  That said, given your other limitations, it might be that a hollow-point won't open up much anyway.  Certainly, WC or SWC is a better profile than a round nose!  So you have something here, and maybe about as good as you're gonna get, but again I think you're leaving some performance on the table.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Morne:
Originally Posted By windham:  With just 158gr wadcutter ammo would this take care of business around the house. Would I need a 4" barrel instead. Have an email into the manufacturer to see if I can use +p

YES

Au contraire:

https://www.luckygunner.com/38spl-winchester-super-match-148gr-wc-50#geltest

Clear gel, but 16" in clear gel should be adequate.  Most +Ps didn't do better in 2", they do better from 4" barrels.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackie] [#32]
The old FBI 158gr LSWCHP .38 Special +P load has sent a lot of bad guys to meet their maker…
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
The question is how well can you shoot that gun?  can you keep them all in a twelve inch circle at 15 yards under stress, rapid fire?
View Quote

In my opinion (the old 2 cents worth), this is the best reply.  it all boils down to competence and confidence.  Anytime the fecal matter strikes the rotary impeller, a gun that you shoot well and trust is the best gun to have in your hand.

MLG
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BlueDrewT:
Everyone has their opinion but if you like it get proficient with it and you will be fine.
View Quote

^this man knows what he is talking about.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#35]
backbencher,

Thanks for posting an informative link.

When I said fine for hole punching I meant that it isn't going to expand.  Your link shows an average expanded diameter of 0.37".  That is essentially non-expanded since it started somewhere just shy of 0.36".  Also, the data in your screen grab was from the 4" barrel.  When selecting the 2" barrel the average expanded diameter is...wait for it...0.36" (and 15.7" depth of penetration).  That is zero expansion.

Again, I would rather have a WC or SWC (like we are discussing and your link addresses) than a round nose.  Ideal for a standard pressure .38 Special, IMHO, is the Federal NyClads.

Please understand, I am not shitting on snubby revolvers.  My carry gun this fine day was a Kimber K6s 2" (with a pair of HKS speedloaders).
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Lots of people have successfully done it. It wouldn’t be my first choice but if you can put a round where it needs to be placed a 38spl from a snubby will do fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:12:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emandude] [#37]
I mean something's better than nothing but my snubbies are for when I absolutely need to carry and it absolutely has to be the smallest lightest platform possible. No need to limit Myself like that or compromise in my home.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Morne:  backbencher,

Thanks for posting an informative link.

When I said fine for hole punching I meant that it isn't going to expand.  Your link shows an average expanded diameter of 0.37".  That is essentially non-expanded since it started somewhere just shy of 0.36".  Also, the data in your screen grab was from the 4" barrel.  When selecting the 2" barrel the average expanded diameter is...wait for it...0.36" (and 15.7" depth of penetration).  That is zero expansion.

Again, I would rather have a WC or SWC (like we are discussing and your link addresses) than a round nose.  Ideal for a standard pressure .38 Special, IMHO, is the Federal NyClads.

Please understand, I am not shitting on snubby revolvers.  My carry gun this fine day was a Kimber K6s 2" (with a pair of HKS speedloaders).
View Quote

Now go look at the hollowpoints out of the 2" .38s.  Then you'll understand why I'm a fan of wadcutters out of .38 snubs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:34:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Nothing you can't do with a good .38 Special. I agree a 4" barreled 6 round revolver would be better than a 5 shot snub, and I also agree that a 7 or 8 shot would be even better, if you can afford it, but I wouldn't feel too badly underarmed if this was the only gun for my bedside table.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#40]
It’s one step above a derringer so it’s got that going for it…

Literally almost anything else would be a better choice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Walk around your house. Measure the longest distance you might have to make a shot from. Go to the range, set up a target at that distance. Can you make A zone hits? How about 1 handed?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#43]
There are so many better tools for the job. However, it is a tool that can get the job done. A 2 inch 38 would be the least firearm in terms of ballistics, that I would feel comfortable with, but it will work, providing that you can hit with it.
I also keep 148 gr. wadcutters in mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

What brand of pistol?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#45]
My 2" S&W K-framed model 10-7 is a fine wheelgun and more than adequate for personal protection with 125 grain JHPs. A Pachmayr grip tames the muzzle flip nicely. It handles +P+ loads but I have found no advantage to using them in a 2" barrel. When carried, it is loaded with +P JHP loads which is all that I keep on hand.

Revolvers take practice to shoot well in double-action. Most shooters do not spend the time needed to develop the necessary skills and should avoid wheelguns for self defense.

Had it out yesterday and will say of all of my handguns, the .38 special has the most recoil when compared to .45ACP, 9mm, Makarov or Tokarev. Still, I shoot it pretty well for an old guy with shaky hands and bad eyesight. I have no reservations about it's capabilities in my hands. My abilities are not as good as they used to be, but still better than most.

Snub nosed revolvers are meant for use in close quarters situations where sights are seldom actually used. Most of my range time is spent double-action point shooting with it at 10 yard targets.

For decades, the snubby was my only handgun and home defense weapon. They are reliable, idiot proof, and limp-wristing will not cause malfunctions. Velocities are low enough where over penetration is less of an issue than with some other handgun calibers.

Since you will only have 5 or 6 rounds, being proficient with it is extremely important. Practice with snap-caps to develop the necessary skills prior to live fire. Place a coin on the top of the frame and practice pulling the trigger while keeping sights on target and the coin in place. Shoot enough live ammo to get comfortable with the recoil and test your skills. Rinse, and repeat!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Exterminator555:  My 2" S&W K-framed model 10-7 is a fine wheelgun and more than adequate for personal protection with 125 grain JHPs. A Pachmayr grip tames the muzzle flip nicely. It handles +P+ loads but I have found no advantage to using them in a 2" barrel. When carried, it is loaded with +P JHP loads which is all that I keep on hand.

Revolvers take practice to shoot well in double-action. Most shooters do not spend the time needed to develop the necessary skills and should avoid wheelguns for self defense.

Had it out yesterday and will say of all of my handguns, the .38 special has the most recoil when compared to .45ACP, 9mm, Makarov or Tokarev. Still, I shoot it pretty well for an old guy with shaky hands and bad eyesight. I have no reservations about it's capabilities in my hands. My abilities are not as good as they used to be, but still better than most.

Snub nosed revolvers are meant for use in close quarters situations where sights are seldom actually used. Most of my range time is spent double-action point shooting with it at 10 yard targets.

For decades, the snubby was my only handgun and home defense weapon. They are reliable, idiot proof, and limp-wristing will not cause malfunctions. Velocities are low enough where over penetration is less of an issue than with some other handgun calibers.

Since you will only have 5 or 6 rounds, being proficient with it is extremely important. Practice with snap-caps to develop the necessary skills prior to live fire. Place a coin on the top of the frame and practice pulling the trigger while keeping sights on target and the coin in place. Shoot enough live ammo to get comfortable with the recoil and test your skills. Rinse, and repeat!
View Quote

And yet, despite being obsolescent for more than half a century, the .38 Special revolver continues to sell in large numbers.  Why?

Because it's intuitive and easy to learn how to shoot sufficiently.  A revolver may be difficult to shoot well at 10 yards in double action - but as you claim yourself, snubs are meant for use in CQB w/o using the sights.  Grandma can hit the torso of a silhouette target from 3 yards very reliably - probably without practice.  Can she hit a coyote from 25 yds DA without practice?  No, if she has a need to hit coyotes, she doubtless will have a more appropriate tool for the job or be surprisingly well skilled w/ her revolver from long use.

Experts have been decrying the revolver, and particularly the snub nose, as an expert's weapon since semi-autos were introduced - and semi-autos are much easier to shoot well.  But for 87% of people, they simply need to shoot sufficiently to end the threat, and 87% of the time that will be at very close quarters - b/c humans don't naturally want to kill each other, and generally grandma is only going to shoot at the last moment when she's all but forced to do so.

When was the last time you practiced with your fire extinguisher?  For 87% of people, an HD handgun is very much in the same class of equipment - and you're more likely to use your generator than either.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#47]
For a house-only gun, you can do far better. 4" or even a 6" barrel would be better just for ease of aiming and reducing flash. But better than a .22, baseball bat, or rolling pin

Most of the failures of the .38 Special can be attributed to bullet construction. The old standard issue non-jacketed lead round nose (LRN) is quite obsolete. Lead flat nose (LFN), semi wadcutter (SWC), or the many hollow point options are far better. Heavier bullets are generally better. Police in the 80s fell in love with the zippy 110 grain +P loads but they performed poorly in actual gunfights, plus produced tons of flash and noise.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:59:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I carry a snub 38 in my sweat pants or shorts pocket when lounging around the house. I wear sweats or shorts like pajamas. You carry what you can. I tried switching to a belly band and I 1911 but it was really bothering me, itchy and digging into me.

I've read many times that any handgun should just be for fighting your way to your long gun.

I've always got a 12 gauge, AR and my primary CCW a full size 1911 with a 10 round mag in the next room.

As far as if a snub 38 is effective, look at how many police detective went out with nothing but a snub 38 for about a 100 years and interviewed and arrested some pretty bad people. I'm old enough that I was around when a lot of cops, detectives, security guards and armed couriers still relied on a 38 revolver of some kind.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I used find it amazing that no matter what the question is it always does back to this is better or that is better instead of just answering the O.P's question. Simply reread backbenchers last response and you have the answer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Depending on the threat level, one of my EDC guns is a 2" .22 WMR.  Not every ,location and situation requires a belt fed M240.  So a 2" 38 special might be GTG.
Top Top