Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2023 9:24:21 AM EDT
I just got this in an email from Smith & Wesson.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/2023-spec-series

This might have to be my first M&P 9mm.  That thing is dead sexy and seems to be a good price for what you get.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn that is ugly. At least to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
Damn that is ugly. At least to me.
View Quote

I've been on an ODG kick lately and I think it's sexy.  The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the plate mounting system.  I'd prefer it to mount directly to the slide.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
180 degree grip angle?
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:27:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spectre3] [#4]
I wish they had a version that was the just the gun with a standard barrel and mags. I'm never gonna use the comp or the cheap knife and idgaf about coins so I don't want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Already put my standard 4.25 for sale so I can get the Spec series, shes a beaut clark
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
My LGS said they put in the request for a few of these.  I put money down for one of them so we'll see how long it takes them to get them in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it looks badass
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
I think it looks badass
View Quote

I agree.  Might be my first S&W M&P series gun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
10mm version maybe.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a phone call that mine came in.  I hope to pick it up tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
I just got a phone call that mine came in.  I hope to pick it up tomorrow morning.
View Quote

Congrats
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

I picked it up on Saturday.  This thing is really nice!  I mounted the RMR using one of the plastic plates for now.  I ordered a metal plate yesterday so I'll wait to shoot it until that comes in.  The trigger is nice but the reset isn't as crisp or pronounced as I would have liked.  It's still a good reset just not super crisp.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish someone could make a comp that fits better with the slide ala the sage dynamics G45 one.
That one looks ok, but it seems to sit proud of the slide more than I would like.
Yea yea, performance over looks, I get it.
T
Hope it shoots great for you. Question, does your front "strap" rattle around? My competitor frame does, and I've read a lot of the metal ones do.
I bought a stripped polymer frame to put my competitor slide on, the Aluminum frame just doesn't click as well for me for some reason. Might get rid of the APEX metal series trigger since I probably won't use the metal frame. Who knows. I'm wishy washy these days on stuff. LOL
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 5:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neomonk21] [#14]
I wish someone could make a comp that fits better with the slide ala the sage dynamics G45 one.
That one looks ok, but it seems to sit proud of the slide more than I would like.
T
Hope it shoots great for you. Question, does your front "strap" rattle around? My competitor frame does, and I've read a lot of the metal ones do.
I bought a stripped polymer frame to put my competitor slide on, the Aluminum frame just doesn't click as well for me for some reason. Might get rid of the APEX metal series trigger since I probably won't use the metal frame. Who knows. I'm wishy washy these days on stuff. LOL
View Quote

Yes, it rattles.  It is a little annoying.  I haven't looked for a good way to stop it from rattling other than maybe gluing it.

ETA:  Herrington Arms makes some good comps that have better fitment to the gun.  Or, I should say, the one I looked at for the Dagger really seemed to fit well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The trigger is nice but the reset isn't as crisp or pronounced as I would have liked.  It's still a good reset just not super crisp.
View Quote

I tried one of the new 2.0s recently with a polymer frame and thought the same thing. Pretty darn good break (still not as good as the PDP IMO), but weak reset. I don’t ride the reset espcially since I mostly shoot DA/SA or DAO these days, but it is nice when it’s a little more positive as I feel I have faster splits with stronger resets. I need to test that theory to see if it’s true, though.

But I’m looking to get my first 2.0 in the near future and may splurge for the metal frame. We’ll see.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Yes, it rattles.  It is a little annoying.  I haven't looked for a good way to stop it from rattling other than maybe gluing it.

ETA:  Herrington Arms makes some good comps that have better fitment to the gun.  Or, I should say, the one I looked at for the Dagger really seemed to fit well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
T

Faxon barrel and comp. I have the compact spec series as well. No gaps between the comp and frame on either. Wondering if you can loosen the set screws and tighten the comp a round or two to get it closer to the frame
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#17]
My version of the spec series.
I took my OR slide with a threaded Ed Brown barrel, added a Herrington Arms comp and put it on my competitor frame.

I've been switching parts up, so I need to get a stock Trigger return spring and an ext slide stop (just don't want to pay the ebay price for one) as I used them on another gun.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the barrel threaded enough or properly for a suppressor?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Which dot footprint is it cut for?

I think it looks awesome. I have 3 M&P Pros 5", a 1.0 and a 2.0. Both with Apex goodies and the 2.0 has a big magwell. I really like both. I dont have a gun with a comp. My P365X has an EPS Carry and now i really like a dot on a pistol.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By spectre3:
I wish they had a version that was the just the gun with a standard barrel and mags. I'm never gonna use the comp or the cheap knife and idgaf about coins so I don't want to pay for it.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:09:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neomonk21] [#22]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
PSA has the spec kit for $499
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
PSA has the spec kit for $499

I just bought this one, too!  It hasn't shipped yet, though.

Which dot footprint is it cut for?

I think it looks awesome. I have 3 M&P Pros 5", a 1.0 and a 2.0. Both with Apex goodies and the 2.0 has a big magwell. I really like both. I dont have a gun with a comp. My P365X has an EPS Carry and now i really like a dot on a pistol.

It has the M&P CORE optics cut that uses adapter plates.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#23]
That looks like a good deal.

Drop a review when you can.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#24]
2.0 trigger was a great improvement over the 1.0 and the 2.0 Metal even more so. Just got the 2.0 Spec Series and the trigger from their performance center is indeed their best to date, but still not on Apex’s level. I’ve carried a 2.0 for 6 years and put a lot of money into it but I keep buying their new offerings to see if any are worthy of taking over as my EDC. I shoot the Metal really well but it didn’t make me put down the 2.0. We will see how the Spec Series does tomorrow.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
That looks like a good deal.

Drop a review when you can.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

It finally came in today.  Overall impression is that it's nice.  I do like the metal frame of the 2023 series better than this one.  The trigger on the 2023 is also better.  This one is a lot grittier but I hope it will smooth out once I get to shoot it.  The knife that came with this set is a joke but I didn't buy it for the knife.

Overall I'm glad I picked this up for $500.  The fact that it came with two extended magazines is really nice, but wish it came with four total like the 2023 series did.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobweaver] [#26]
Much longer range session yesterday and I have yet to experience the comp loosening up and causing malfunctions like I’m seeing on a lot of other reviews.  There’s no doubt this pistol runs much more smoothly than every other M&P I have, including the custom build 4.25” that I put a lot of $ into. An APEX trigger kit and it will be even better. Glad I picked one up.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#27]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168341/20240117_151747_jpg-3097819.JPG

It finally came in today.  Overall impression is that it's nice.  I do like the metal frame of the 2023 series better than this one.  The trigger on the 2023 is also better.  This one is a lot grittier but I hope it will smooth out once I get to shoot it.  The knife that came with this set is a joke but I didn't buy it for the knife.

Overall I'm glad I picked this up for $500.  The fact that it came with two extended magazines is really nice, but wish it came with four total like the 2023 series did.
View Quote

I really regret not grabbing one of these at $500. Waited for them to go back on sale and then they were gone.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I had the comp failure today like many others giving reviews out there. No chance every pistol S&W tested didn’t do the same thing so it really is a travesty they didn't figure out a better design to keep the comp on tight. Who wants to carry around a small wrench to constantly tighten the screws after every magazine?  Mine backed out even with the supplied thread locker.  Will add more thread locker and start keeping track of round count between failures moving forward.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
I had the comp failure today like many others giving reviews out there. No chance every pistol S&W tested didn’t do the same thing so it really is a travesty they didn't figure out a better design to keep the comp on tight. Who wants to carry around a small wrench to constantly tighten the screws after every magazine?  Mine backed out even with the supplied thread locker.  Will add more thread locker and start keeping track of round count between failures moving forward.
View Quote

Where are you seeing reports of comp failures?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By huntsimp87:

Where are you seeing reports of comp failures?
View Quote

The failure is due to the comp coming loose then rotating, which causes the guide rod to be misaligned with the recess in the rear of the comp.  Several of the reviews on YouTube and written reviews on other boards are where I’m seeing the same failures discussed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:51:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: huntsimp87] [#31]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:

The failure is due to the comp coming loose then rotating, which causes the guide rod to be misaligned with the recess in the rear of the comp.  Several of the reviews on YouTube and written reviews on other boards are where I’m seeing the same failures discussed.
View Quote

Dang.

Did you try Rocksett?

Also, is it true that the Spec Series has a "Performance" trigger? Does the Competitor Metal model also have this trigger?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top