Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2024 9:12:39 PM EDT
Hi to all
Is there a better self defence ammo for 45 acp with different  barrel lengths.   3.5, 4.25, 5 inch.  Is lighter faster ammo better in short barrels, VS heavier  bullets in longer barrels
I am thinking of loss of speed in short barrel.  Does it matter?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
There’s lots  of  good videos on this on YouTube.

But yeah Short enough barrels depending on bullet design may not perform as well as they could.  All expanding projectiles have a threshold

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]
From the gel tests that I’ve seen HST’s dependably open at slower speeds.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The expansion question is always fair question to ask.

But shot PLACEMENT is always the answer.

45ACP to the thoracic cavity is rapidly fatal from any barrel length. Fancy bullets delivered elsewhere, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I will preface this with "I don't know so am postulating"

The non-expanding selections may help with covering numerous barrel and thus velocities.

Fort Scott makes their TUI (tumble upon impact) ammo which I have not tested in any mediums but the concept appears to be relevant to the thread.

Velocity is less important as the round is waiting to get to wet stuff and ripping things apart.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By madmac58:
Hi to all
Is there a better self defence ammo for 45 acp with different  barrel lengths.   3.5, 4.25, 5 inch.  Is lighter faster ammo better in short barrels, VS heavier  bullets in longer barrels
I am thinking of loss of speed in short barrel.  Does it matter?
Thanks
View Quote

You have it 100% backward.

Heavier bullets lose less velocity in shorter barrels, and because the bullet is larger, there is more space to engineer a HP that works across a wider range of velocities.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top